The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Battle Damage for the Enterprise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM

I'm humbled.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, but wonder what those few years betwen 6 and Genrations was like in retirment for him.....
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Bengarius, you're post reminds me of one of my favorite moments in Trek IV. It's at the end when Kirk is receiving his 'punishment' for stealing the Enterprise and other allegations and he is demoted to Captain and given a new ship. When he's getting this demotion, he starts smiling, right then you know he was born to command a starship and the judge or whatever he is says as much. It's not about rank to him, he want's to command a ship, a born explorer! And then what ship is he given... of course the next ship in the line to bear the name Enterprise!
You have your own knack for writing Livingston. It was a great trek moment. I was glad and expectant of what was about to happen and truth is It couldn't be replicated in Trek again...It's be too easy to see. BUT the first time as the pod rose over Excelsior to see the brand new Enterprise floating in Space Dock was a moment I'll never forget.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Admiral

Definitely! "What'd you think they'll give us?" "Oh some bucket of bolts" and then they start flying towards the Excelsior and the whole crew kinda get excited that they just might be getting this new breakthrough ship and then they move over it and then see her. "Friends, we've come home." Great moment indeed. Probably one of the best in the first six movies.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Just a sort of general note on what I've read in this thread:

Phasers vs. Photon Torpedoes

Honestly, I never found this confusing - it was logical and consistent. Phasers are point effect weapons, torpedoes are area effect. Think of phasers like... a shotgun. You can load it with slugs (narrow beam/full power), shot (maximum dispersal), or rock-salt ('give them a nudge'). It, however, must HIT the target to do damage. A torpedo is more like a grenade. It can detonate beside, in front of, or behind the target, and the 'blast wave' will still do damage. Indeed, short of a direct impact, bracketing the target will be the most effective use - hence, firing a 'full spread'.

Battle in The Mutara Nebula

Loved this sequence in Wrath of Khan. Not only was it adrenaline-pumping, visually stunning, and spine-tingling... it was inherently consistent with what I'd seen before in TOS!

Why...?

No shields.

When shields are up, you get 'bleed through', which shakes the ship, causes internal overloads, etc. You either batter the ship to pieces or break through the shields, and only then get a 'clean' kill. When shields are down, you get the direct energy transfer, and all the riveting visuals - as in TWOK or TUC...

'Constitution Class'

While the Big E was the 'first' of the class, it is, in fact, one of a dozen such ships. (Technically, one of fourteen such ships, according to canon.) Arguments about battle-damage and refits aside, to remain canon, the Enterprise is going to have to remain a close sister-ship to the other Constitution-Class ships. The only 'acceptable' way around this, in my opinion, would be if the class was retrofitted to TOS standards as a result of lessons learned pre- or in-movie. (i.e. - the Enterprise could have been built to the 'original' Constitution specs, that of the never-built NCC-1700. While off on it's first five-year mission, some lessons were learned, and the other under-construction Constitutions were upgraded to TOS as a result.)

In a way, I think that would make for an interesting premise for the movie, if you think about it: James T. Kirk is given command of the flagship of the fleet... but, as it has not yet been upgraded to the current (TOS) standard for Constitution-Class ships, it'd been the 'weakest' ship-in-class...

Of course, all the above is simply my opinion. As such, take as much or little of it as you wish, and whatever level of skepticism you think it merits...
Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Oh Gunny....

Be ready for the ensuing debate....
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Definitely! "What'd you think they'll give us?" "Oh some bucket of bolts" and then they start flying towards the Excelsior and the whole crew kinda get excited that they just might be getting this new breakthrough ship and then they move over it and then see her. "Friends, we've come home." Great moment indeed. Probably one of the best in the first six movies.
Those are moments you couldn't replicate.
I remember thinking... I sure would like the Excelsior but the way Scotty talked about it, was like it was just a piece of new junk. Turns out Scotty was a little jealous. But as the Enterprise A rises...it's like...I never would have guessed that they'd get a ship of the same class..

AND...the same name and number....It was brilliant and people walked out of the theater thinking....Star Trek is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
Just a sort of general note on what I've read in this thread:

Phasers vs. Photon Torpedoes

Honestly, I never found this confusing - it was logical and consistent. Phasers are point effect weapons, torpedoes are area effect. Think of phasers like... a shotgun. You can load it with slugs (narrow beam/full power), shot (maximum dispersal), or rock-salt ('give them a nudge'). It, however, must HIT the target to do damage. A torpedo is more like a grenade. It can detonate beside, in front of, or behind the target, and the 'blast wave' will still do damage. Indeed, short of a direct impact, bracketing the target will be the most effective use - hence, firing a 'full spread'.

Battle in The Mutara Nebula

Loved this sequence in Wrath of Khan. Not only was it adrenaline-pumping, visually stunning, and spine-tingling... it was inherently consistent with what I'd seen before in TOS!

Why...?

No shields.

When shields are up, you get 'bleed through', which shakes the ship, causes internal overloads, etc. You either batter the ship to pieces or break through the shields, and only then get a 'clean' kill. When shields are down, you get the direct energy transfer, and all the riveting visuals - as in TWOK or TUC...

'Constitution Class'

While the Big E was the 'first' of the class, it is, in fact, one of a dozen such ships. (Technically, one of fourteen such ships, according to canon.) Arguments about battle-damage and refits aside, to remain canon, the Enterprise is going to have to remain a close sister-ship to the other Constitution-Class ships. The only 'acceptable' way around this, in my opinion, would be if the class was retrofitted to TOS standards as a result of lessons learned pre- or in-movie. (i.e. - the Enterprise could have been built to the 'original' Constitution specs, that of the never-built NCC-1700. While off on it's first five-year mission, some lessons were learned, and the other under-construction Constitutions were upgraded to TOS as a result.)

In a way, I think that would make for an interesting premise for the movie, if you think about it: James T. Kirk is given command of the flagship of the fleet... but, as it has not yet been upgraded to the current (TOS) standard for Constitution-Class ships, it'd been the 'weakest' ship-in-class...

Of course, all the above is simply my opinion. As such, take as much or little of it as you wish, and whatever level of skepticism you think it merits...
You certainly have the right persepctive.
Those are possibilities I'd be willing to go with. However it's not likely to make it on screen.

The TWOK nebula battle is the best Trek Battl period from series and movie. It was long...drawn out and deadly....Meyers certainly knew battle suspense.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Those are moments you couldn't replicate.
I remember thinking... I sure would like the Excelsior but the way Scotty talked about it, was like it was just a piece of new junk. Turns out Scotty was a little jealous. But as the Enterprise A rises...it's like...I never would have guessed that they'd get a ship of the same class..

AND...the same name and number....It was brilliant and people walked out of the theater thinking....Star Trek is back.

You certainly have the right persepctive.
Those are possibilities I'd be willing to go with. However it's not likely to make it on screen.

The TWOK nebula battle is the best Trek Battl period from series and movie. It was long...drawn out and deadly....Meyers certainly knew battle suspense.
Very well put, hope we walk out of the theatre of this new one, being able to say the same thing.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think Trek is itching for another great battle. It's been some time...since 1992 when TUC blew our eyes out and dropped our jaws witht he cloaked bird of prey vs the Intrepid Starship Enterprise.