The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Trek 2013... what?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

It would actually be 9D, at least ;P
Whenever you shoot in 3D, you always also shoot in 2d, even twice XD

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Its being shot in both 3D and 2D.
hope ur right dude

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

3D = 2 x 2D

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
hope ur right dude
Yep. They state that.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I believe it HP7.2 was post-converted. They would have made Harry Potter 7.1 in 3D but cancelled those plans at the last minute.

Now, that's news - because I was under the impression that no Harry Potter film prior to 7.2 had been converted to 3D. I don't even know if they had sequences filmed for Imax.

I never got a chance to see Avatar in 2D, I meant to for the comparison from 3D but never found the time.

That's why 3D isn't an object of hatred or love for me. It's just............there. It's an option. Post Avatar there was a lot of rush to post-covert as it seemed at that time to be a good way to drive up box office revenue but then there are times where it gets a good write up as well. I think now that a bit of time has passed people can tell when a 3D film has had the proper effort put in and when it hasn't.

They will go to a 3D film, but only when they judge it worth it. Although 3D seems to be FAR more popular in international market terms than it is in the US.

I know that from a few boards over the years people have been talking about wanting the sequel in 3D as much as some haven't (in the same way some want to see Khan again and some don't) so it's a bit of a crapshoot. Some folks will be excited about it and some will be put off.

Personally, I would never be put off by a film being in 3D itself, I'd be put off by whether I thought the film looked any good or not, so 3D is not essential for me as a viewer.

That seems like the next development..............3D but without having to wear the glasses to experience it. I don't know if The Hobbit will pull it off or not, but I guess come December 2012 we'll see!
Only segments of Harry Potter(s) 5 and 6 -in IMAX- were 3D, and probably post-converted as you said (that makes sense to me now). The Hall of Mysteries climax from Order of the Pheonix, and the Death Eaters/subway/Professor Slughorn first ten minutes of Half-Blood Prince. Superman Returns had occasional segments of 3D throughout. None of these looked 'bad', and they were my only experience with [live action] 3D prior to Avatar [I forgot that I saw Beowulf too]. All the really 'heinous' post-conversion 3D stuff I've heard about, now that you mention it, has been since Avatar. As for IMAX, The Dark Knight is the first feature film I know about that had actual segments filmed using the format.

My concern with The Hobbit is that we might not even notice the difference of 48 frames-per-second... if 'most theaters' in our neighborhoods only give us the option of watching it through all that 3D. People will still marvel about it, but it will be like the Emperor's new clothes. There will be this awesome new projecting technology right in front of our noses, and everyone will say they can tell the difference (assuming they're actually informed, and 3D isn't the real draw), but we will not have really seen it.

Last edited by samwiseb : 11-24-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
All 3D movies do is just make a ticket more expensive unnecessarily.

To be fair, if you're a crewmember of the USS Doperprise 3D is a tasty treat.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Vice Admiral

this is going to be a long painful wait for the next Star Trek film, I'm just wondering why can't they do a tv series to keep us fans happy in the meantime but I guess that won't happen anytime soon

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
this is going to be a long painful wait for the next Star Trek film, I'm just wondering why can't they do a tv series to keep us fans happy in the meantime but I guess that won't happen anytime soon

It would be nice, but I'd be afraid of oversaturation, which is what we had with the last few Trek shows and movies. Don't wanna burn everyone out again, especially potential (and existing) new fans.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
But 3D is of course an indication that they care, once again, more about the icing than the cake.
It should be noted that such a mandate likely came from Paramount. A few months ago Abrams didn't seem very much into doing a 3D film, but basically said that such a decision was at the mercy of Paramount. In the same reports officially confirming this, it stated that the release of it being in 3D was to try to attract a bigger international audience which is an indicator that it is a marketing decision.

However, you're damned right that they care about the icing on the cake, because for once we're talking about a version of Trek that the studio, the public and the fans finally care about, and they don't want to blow it by making Trek of the old, which even most fans stopped caring about as much.

Quote:
About the cake, with Orci writing it it will be another brainless action movie.
Orci is one of three people writing it.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
It would be nice, but I'd be afraid of oversaturation, which is what we had with the last few Trek shows and movies. Don't wanna burn everyone out again, especially potential (and existing) new fans.
Seconded. Anyway, we got the DVDs for that. I still have yet to see 'all' of DS9, even though I've had the season sets for over five years. That should be enough to hold everyone over.