The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > LA museum as famous Trek location, Hawaii as jungle planet?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not familiar enough with LA to know

Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I wonder if the jungle planet could be Klingon homeworld? We've never really seen a lot of that planet outside of it's urban areas.
ENT chose to depict it as Viking-like northern wasteland:

Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Federation Councillor

The Klingon homeworld could be tricky..................it's meant to be Class M (so that would suggest it had a variety of climate regions - thus mountains and jungle and everything inbetween should be entirely plausible) but that ENT depiction isn't at all the same as the dense and murky environment portrayed in 'Sins of the Father' etc.

Although the ENT image DOES correspond to the location of the retreat that was also mountainous in 'Rightful Heir'.

But since we don't know the Homeworld was ever actually relocated (TUC has evacuation in the 'planning' stages but it was never ever stated onscreen that was actually carried out) you could get away with a variation of environments to set as a possible Klingon Homeworld.

It's waaaaaaaaay too early to wonder. Location scouting doesn't mean it will be actually used. Iceland and Canada were location scouted for the first film and it ended up filmed all in the L.A area.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Yes, it could be something as simple as a garden scene at Starfleet headquarters…

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I was just throwing a possibility out there, it could literally be anything at this point

Old 11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Commander

I know Los Angeles like the back of my hand! Been here for years... there are so many Star Trek-able museums here. Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History has been undergoing massive amounts of renovation and redesign of the outside area this past year. I don't know if it is finished or not or what it will look like. Everything was torn up when I went there this summer. The Air and Space building was shut down... the California Science Center(which the A&S and natural history museum sandwiches inbetween on the same area of land) is getting the space shuttle Endeavor! They are working on fund-raising, design of the housing and display of it right now and the shuttle will be delivered next year to a huge city wide parade going from LAX to the museum, so I am not sure if they will be using that area.

LA County Museum of Art has a really neat looking Japanese Art building from inside and outside... they have also extensively renovated and expanded the museums space as a whole. There is the La Brea Tar pits upper area next door. Those two are side by side on the same land area.

Getty is a very good one too... I'm betting on that one. The clean, white, uniform yet abstract, well manicured modernist design.... the tram and tram stations on the top and bottom of the hills would make a great StarFleet headquarters/city. That's what I think all the time!

http://www.dianahuang.com

Last edited by Ditroi : 11-17-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Some parts of the Getty Villa would make a nice backdrops for "the Guardian" (City on the Edge of Forever). Maybe the Klingons want to change time.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Some parts of the Getty Villa would make a nice backdrops for "the Guardian" (City on the Edge of Forever). Maybe the Klingons want to change time.
Woops... I have yet to go to the Getty Villa... its a bit away off of my usual travel routes... plus that "must make reservations" thingy... can't just drive there with out planning ahead... poo! :P

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The Klingon homeworld could be tricky..................it's meant to be Class M (so that would suggest it had a variety of climate regions - thus mountains and jungle and everything inbetween should be entirely plausible) but that ENT depiction isn't at all the same as the dense and murky environment portrayed in 'Sins of the Father' etc.

Although the ENT image DOES correspond to the location of the retreat that was also mountainous in 'Rightful Heir'.

But since we don't know the Homeworld was ever actually relocated (TUC has evacuation in the 'planning' stages but it was never ever stated onscreen that was actually carried out) you could get away with a variation of environments to set as a possible Klingon Homeworld.

It's waaaaaaaaay too early to wonder. Location scouting doesn't mean it will be actually used. Iceland and Canada were location scouted for the first film and it ended up filmed all in the L.A area.
There was an obvious dramatic reason to portray Qu'onos as a murky world in the Worf-Duras arc. Same in ENT, they wanted to emphasize the Viking aspects of the Klingons. Drama is always more important than stupid visual continuity.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
There was an obvious dramatic reason to portray Qu'onos as a murky world in the Worf-Duras arc. Same in ENT, they wanted to emphasize the Viking aspects of the Klingons. Drama is always more important than stupid visual continuity.
Thanks for the commentary on some unimportant musings.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 11-17-2011 at 09:30 PM.