The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Production Designer interview
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

These are minor things anyway. They could change every set and still make a perfectly fun, enjoyable film. It's just my personal preference that they keep a sense of visual continuity. Others mileage may vary of course

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Essentially, yes, these are always just lists of preferences.

The sets from the first three TOS films were relatively static and stable and it was only after that we began to get the 'change it' frenzy, so it's not impossible to do if one is suited to doing so. They have multiple options for the sequel (not the least of which if no scenes are set IN engineering then they don't have to use the locations again) depending on the content of the script.

You could add an area which functions as a 'control area' for the departments, and as Tom noted, utterly nothing shown in the film indicates such an area does not exist anyway.

It's 50/50 as to whether that location gets used again. The production was accomodated before so it can be again. If the parties agree and it's needed in the first place. Granted it's easier to product place Budweiser over the Levi's jeans placement used in TFF though. Most people might not know that was the first time product placement took place in Trek.

The sketches on a previous page though are about as generic as they come, so I could hardly wet myself over the prospect of a set being built to look like them. But then I don't particularly think most of the TNG movies set design was that hot either. Never liked the E interiors as much as the D anyway!

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 11-06-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

The bridge set has not been changed significantly but the different lightning and the new uniforms created the impression that TWOK pressed the reset button.
This would surely go much too far in the case of the twelfth Trek movie. All that has to and will change in the next movie is BudweiserEngineering.
It's not sci-fi if it feels like a 20th century place. And yes, I totally understand that people who have never visited a brewery don't perceive it ST09 central engineering as anti-futuristic. By the way, I have never understood why Uhura works in engineering. Another problem of this set, it did not feel like engineering with communication officers working there.

Last edited by horatio : 11-06-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Federation Councillor

You can always use lighting and set effects to create a different mood within the same location, which is what often happened. And certainly in the case of TWOK was employed to that effect.

That said, if it were me I would have no intention of radically changing the look of the engineering sets (or any of the others) if I needed them in the next film and if folks didn't like it...................

There's more than one sci-fi film set in the future that retains a somewhat industrial and exposed look to such locations (Alien and Aliens spring to mind immediately with the likes of the Nostromo and the Sulaco, not to mention LV-426) and while I appreciate the restrictions you like to try and set on what is and is not sci-fi, I'm not really minded to concur.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

There are obvious dramatic reasons why Alien consciously emulates a dirty, industrial setting. There are also reasons why ST09's engineering is dirty and industrial, I pointed them out in a previous post.
If a brewery as engineering serves any point, feel free to point it out.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

I've been to several breweries actually

Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Federation Councillor

I've never been to one - I would never have been able to tell it had been filmed specifically in a brewery if it hadn't been for the press information about the location.

I sometimes wonder how many folks who latched onto the term would have known either if it hadn't been told to them. I suppose we'll never know what the answer to that would have been.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
There are obvious dramatic reasons why Alien consciously emulates a dirty, industrial setting. There are also reasons why ST09's engineering is dirty and industrial, I pointed them out in a previous post.
And that's fine. If they want to add a 'throne' then fine, they can still do that to pacify folks and incorporate it into the the design established already. It's merely an addition.

Quote:
If a brewery as engineering serves any point, feel free to point it out.
That's you getting caught up in the specifics of the location's real world purpose.

It depends what you want an engineering area to resemble.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Big metal vats could hold warp plasma just as easily as they hold fermenting beer

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I've never been to one - I would never have been able to tell it had been filmed specifically in a brewery if it hadn't been for the press information about the location.

I sometimes wonder how many folks who latched onto the term would have known either if it hadn't been told to them. I suppose we'll never know what the answer to that would have been.
Ah, the "you are just bullsh*tting" argument.

Once you have been to a brewery you recognize these tanks if you see them in a movie:

This is one way to create decent, not-too-futuristic future fictional technology, extrapolate contemporary spacetravel designs: