The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > villians will be familiar in the next movie (SPOILER: KLINgoNS!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

My answer would be no because I did not believe in this trend argument in the first place. I believe that stories can only be judged on a case-to-case basis. That's why I don't care whether there will be time travel or not in Trek's future, it has nothing to do with story quality at all in my eyes. Some stories suck, some kick a*s. Nothing new under the sun.

But that's just my perspective, nothing wrong with taking a look at averages or trends. You guys did it and I played along to argue for merely one thing, that time travel is not ruined for the near future just because the average quality in VOY and ENT might have been smaller than in TNG or because there was a downward trend (Gee, I might be a crazy ENT fan but I am the first one to b*tch about the TCW and anything else not prequel-ish enough. But, to repeat my initial point, I can very well hate a concept and nonetheless enjoy the lukewarm episodes based on this dubious concept.) which might very well be also an upward trend or whatever.

I won't play Nostradamus and rather wait until the next series comes along.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
My answer would be no because I did not believe in this trend argument in the first place. I believe that stories can only be judged on a case-to-case basis. That's why I don't care whether there will be time travel or not in Trek's future, it has nothing to do with story quality at all in my eyes. Some stories suck, some kick a*s. Nothing new under the sun.
It seems we continue to have to take the long way around to the same point.

I don't care either - because I have no say in it.

My opinion on the direction of the sequel is just that. An opinion. I would prefer not to have time travel again so soon. But IF it were in the film, I would still go to see it and if it was a good use of it with a good story I would be fine with the element. But that doesn't change that if it comes up in discussion............it wouldn't be top of my list of 'things I want'.

Quote:
But that's just my perspective, nothing wrong with taking a look at averages or trends. You guys did it and I played along to argue for merely one thing, that time travel is not ruined for the near future just because the average quality in VOY and ENT might have been smaller than in TNG or because there was a downward trend (Gee, I might be a crazy ENT fan but I am the first one to b*tch about the TCW and anything else not prequel-ish enough. But, to repeat my initial point, I can very well hate a concept and nonetheless enjoy the lukewarm episodes based on this dubious concept.) which might very well be also an upward trend or whatever.
It's all about individual perspective.

Quote:
I don't believe I'm doing anything of that nature either. I've often commented on where I might like a future series to go, but I also have said (and I know I've said this) that I will worry about the next show once there is an actual show to worry about.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Much ado about nothing. We both agree that the next time travel story could have the quality of City on the Edge of Forever or Zero Hour.
I prefer more the quality of Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure.
I keed. I keeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:

Your not the only crazy ENT fan Horatio. I am one also. Count me in likewise as one who has felt for a loooong time that the gripes about VOY and ENT are way, way overplayed (not completely off-base mind you, just overplayed by alot).

I don't count either as my favorite Trek, but I own both on DVD and loved watching them. I wanted more stories when I was done, and to me, that says it all.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

I also enjoyed Voyager and Enterprise....having not seen near as much of Enterprise as I had Voyager, the few eps I have seen were quite enjoyable.

My favorite ENT episodes, as many here I'm sure are well aware, are the two part Mirror Universe episodes where the Imperial Archer recovers the Constitution class U.S.S. Defiant. Nice to see a Connie kicking some arse like that, even if it was 100 years advanced of all the other ships it faced.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

I liked that they achieved what seemed impossible, to make the Constitution look more modern than the NX. I guess this was party because on the NX everything "hangs out" whereas on the Constitution everything is hidden, all the outward stuff under the hull as well as the controls.

"Long life the Empire!"

Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

HAHA, Evil Quinto. I like it!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Looks nice.