The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > villians will be familiar in the next movie (SPOILER: KLINgoNS!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

The Klingons will want revenge for the 47 ships Nero destroyed!
Conflict between Romulus (and they don't even know what they are blamed for or why) and Qo'noS rising... and the Federation has to keep the peace.
I'd like that.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDevlin View Post
All I am worried about is if the story has any real meat and quality to it this time. Who the "villan" or "bad guys" are is a bit secondary to me. Action packed, less story is fun, but I could care less who is on the revieving end on some photon torpedoes. And as far as ST09 getting Klingons right, I see that as not alot of evidence they would get them right this time. I mean, they did end up on the cutting room floor.

What Klingon would allow that? =)
I totally agree, what matters most is that the story is good.

About the Klingons, if I remember correctly the problem of the interrogation scene has is that it reveals Nero's motives too early in the story. So perhaps the scene has been cut out because of that and not because they have been unhappy with the Klingons?
In my opinion the little we saw of them indicated that they are kind of a mixture of the previous two versions of Klingons, cunning and brutal at the same time.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I totally agree, what matters most is that the story is good.

About the Klingons, if I remember correctly the problem of the interrogation scene has is that it reveals Nero's motives too early in the story. So perhaps the scene has been cut out because of that and not because they have been unhappy with the Klingons?
In my opinion the little we saw of them indicated that they are kind of a mixture of the previous two versions of Klingons, cunning and brutal at the same time.
I have to say, I like how the Klingons were portrayed in the deleted scenes of Trek '09. Indeed both cunning and brutal. They spoke in thl'ngan, but when they spoke in English, there was something more ferocious in their understatedness than in their previous "brash" styled talk.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

I want a young Chang XD

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I want a young Chang XD
Chang indeed… he would make an excellent bad guy.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'll concur.
lets see how he lost that eye...

Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Admiral

To be or not to be… that is the question… gotta love a Shakespearean quoting Klingon!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think I'd rather a new original character.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Threads… that bind… the old with the new…

Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I'd love to have your uncanny ability to lump together dozens of episodes and collectively judge them.
Of course there are good and bad time travel and holodeck stories, what else is new. But to claim that they suck in general is, well, a pretty stupid generalization.
By the way, ST09 was also a time travel story. Seems as if Trek cannot even do the most basic things like rebooting the franchise without the very sci-fi storytelling device you are so sick of.

Let me be pretty blunt, people who have issues with time travel (yeah, better don't try out Doctor Who), the holodeck, spaceships or whatever else might wanna consider to watch and read ordinary instead of science fiction.
In a way, get used to it already. I don't know why you act like it's news, or like it's just me, when there's nothing I said here that hasn't been said, by a majority of frustrated fans, ever since well before ten years ago when rumor of a TCW on the next ST series (ENT) started circulating. And nothing I haven't said myself since well before ST09, for that matter. Yes, we both know how much I think that movie 'sucks'... as well as TVH, which I've often cited as being tied with TWOK as my favorite Trek.

It is unfortunately my impression that the mediocre outweighs the good. And impression is unfortunately as good as fact, short of getting 'technical' and counting off the exact number of (in this case) good-to-bad TT eps... (which wouldn't work for me anyway, since I don't plan on ever re-watching the mediocre stuff again. That's the pesky thing about impressions: once solidified, they're pretty much impossible to be proven wrong. Everyone 'knows' Kirk is a womanizer who loves green women in particular, whereas not many people care that 'technically' Kirk often had no other (proactive) recourse but to seduce the cute chick, or that 'technically' there was only one known occasion in which the chick in question happened to be green).

If you're recycling a used idea, have the intuition to know how it will be received. More often than not, they'll forgive you if you've got the goods. But if you lack intuition and need to get technical ("well, I show it's been at least [x] number of eps since our last TT story, so 'maybe' we haven't burned it out yet, and we all know how much the fans love those anyway..." [yeah, they love them because that's what you keep spoon-feeding them]), then the odds are probably already 50/50 against you having the goods... and if you didn't have them then the idea is, in fact, burned out.