The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > villians will be familiar in the next movie (SPOILER: KLINgoNS!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 03:38 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
They've been saying since 2008 that they will not be using time travel again in the forseable future.
I missed that. I'm totally cool with it though, in fact it's quite a relief. I'm sick of time travel, and too often ST hasn't done it right. Time travel should only be used at this point if it's to blow up the ST canon and piss lots of people off. No reason now to do it again.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

I was never worried about time travel or alternate universe stories. Now that they set up their universe, they'll explore it.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I missed that. I'm totally cool with it though, in fact it's quite a relief. I'm sick of time travel, and too often ST hasn't done it right. Time travel should only be used at this point if it's to blow up the ST canon and piss lots of people off. No reason now to do it again.
Hasn't done it right?
Time travel has been used in TVH, FC and ST09. Last time I checked they are all popular movies. On the small screen supreme stories City on the Edge of Forever, Time Squared, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Visitor and Year of Hell come to mind.

Since the days of H.G. Wells time travel has been a classical sci-fi what-if storytelling gadget. The beauty of sci-fi are its extended story-telling possibilities. I fail to see the point of self-castration in this instance.

About "blowing up the canon", ST09 is a semi-reboot. Barely audible explosions.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Hasn't done it right?
Time travel has been used in TVH, FC and ST09. Last time I checked they are all popular movies. On the small screen supreme stories City on the Edge of Forever, Time Squared, Yesterday's Enterprise, The Visitor and Year of Hell come to mind.
Great. What about the rest of the times it's been featured on ST, particularly over the last two TV series? Last time 'I' checked, the majority of ST fans were as sick of time travel as they were of the holodeck. Although maybe they had since forgotten how sick they were. Selective amnesia is such a phenomenal thing.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Nero is dead, and so are his boots
Nero isn't dead. He exists only in my memory. I don't even have a picture of him. A man's heart is an ocean of secrets.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Great. What about the rest of the times it's been featured on ST, particularly over the last two TV series? Last time 'I' checked, the majority of ST fans were as sick of time travel as they were of the holodeck. Although maybe they had since forgotten how sick they were. Selective amnesia is such a phenomenal thing.
I'd love to have your uncanny ability to lump together dozens of episodes and collectively judge them.
Of course there are good and bad time travel and holodeck stories, what else is new. But to claim that they suck in general is, well, a pretty stupid generalization.
By the way, ST09 was also a time travel story. Seems as if Trek cannot even do the most basic things like rebooting the franchise without the very sci-fi storytelling device you are so sick of.

Let me be pretty blunt, people who have issues with time travel (yeah, better don't try out Doctor Who), the holodeck, spaceships or whatever else might wanna consider to watch and read ordinary instead of science fiction.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't think that time travel is a concept that sucks (I agree with Horatio's original point about it's use though it's fair to say there is good, bad and awful uses of it beyond that)..................but.................I wholeheartedly think Star Trek milked that cow dry.

Using it to tell a great story is one thing, relying on it like a crutch is totally another, especially when there's nothing interesting being done with it, like the TCW. Personally, I would have also preferred no time travel in the last film, but I accept the use of it as a means to an end.

I don't think every Star Trek film needs to have time travel in it, and certainly not two in a row. So, I think it needs to be rested for a couple of films at least.

Good (even outstanding) science fiction also doesn't need time travel as a critical component, so folks can read or watch tons of science fiction that doesn't even remotely involve time travel to tell it's story.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Technically may have been later than 2008

But the gist is the same. No more TT right now. They used it as part of the QM Multiple Universe idea and that was it.

For now, anyway.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't worry about Time Travel for now… that's a dead horse until either they do a remake of TVH or Trek returns to TV… if its Klingons I'm betting we'll see either Kang, Koloth or Kor as the principal bad guy…!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Lieutenant

All I am worried about is if the story has any real meat and quality to it this time. Who the "villan" or "bad guys" are is a bit secondary to me. Action packed, less story is fun, but I could care less who is on the recieving end on some photon torpedoes. And as far as ST09 getting Klingons right, I see that as not alot of evidence they would get them right this time. I mean, they did end up on the cutting room floor.

What Klingon would allow that? =)

Last edited by FireDevlin : 10-31-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Whoops-spelling