The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The New Enterprise...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Commander

been gone tooooooo long. Grad school is sapping me of my fun time.

The bottom line as I see it is that the TOS/Refit/A-Version "E" design-wise was more apt to be described as a "lady" in the nautical sense. She could be easier described as a vessel for space exploration with less need of firepower. (though she could kick aZZ, when needed) while the nu-"E" has a more um, "manly" warship look about it. I would not describe the newest incarnation of the "E" design wise as anything as being a "Lady".
That being said, The new "guy" in town has similar design and looks to the "Lady", a good design with merits, but I miss the "Lady" more than I am able to accept the nu-"E" in her place.

Kirk always referred to the "E" as "she" or "her" as far as I remember and attributed characteristics of same. Also could be said that TOS versions of her were more apt to be accepted as something "practically" alive. That was something I picked up on from the beginning of TOS. I don't get that with the nu. I did not expect that to happen. I feel more connection to a Borg Cube and those things always made me cringe with the knowledge that something bad was about to happen.

My take on the acceptance of the two "designs".
Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

Which grad school (topic)?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Which grad school (topic)?
Still Photography, fine art. Working on my Master's Degree.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

My attempts at that...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
My attempts at that...

Cool. Though I don't really know what your intent is for these, I would give the second and third the best points for use of texture and line, along with a good lighting mix...the light and dark areas of those keep the visual tension and eye moving to investigate.
Though the first, with the cat, does have a certain darker mystery to it that creates a good narrative or visual story.

Critiques in grad school are a constant, so my reply is shaped by how I was taught to respond to work in class by other photographers...Keep up the work. I will have to figure out how to post images as you have, so I can likewise post. (but in an off ST topic area...lol)
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

My take on the acceptance of both designs:

The original ship was a beauty (especially round the motion picture era), and served well in her timeline.

The new ship is equally a beauty in her own way, and serves well in her timeline.

Two ladies from different worlds, both that kick ***, and see their crews safely home.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
My take on the acceptance of both designs:

The original ship was a beauty (especially round the motion picture era), and served well in her timeline.
I definitely agree! Of course the TOS E is my favorite. The TMP version was gorgeous, but I like the "simpler", less cluttered look of the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The new ship is equally a beauty in her own way, and serves well in her timeline.

Two ladies from different worlds, both that kick ***, and see their crews safely home.
Oh how I wish I could see it that way! I just can't. Compared to the original and TMP versions, the Abramsprise is just butt-a$$ fugly, in my opinion, of course. But I guess I must agree that it does serve well in its own alternate universe/timeline. Everything else in that Twilight Zone universe is all out of whack and frakked up and upside down and backwards anyway and the Abramsprise fits in just fine.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Captain

Cool

Meh. Two years later and I still don't like it.

Hopefully they'll tweak the design a little for the next movie, or at least agree on what size she is, the same as the Prime movie era refit as the details on the ship seem to indicate (which makes the most sense) or three times the size as the interior of the hangar bay would lead one to believe.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Meh. Two years later and I still don't like it.

Hopefully they'll tweak the design a little for the next movie, or at least agree on what size she is, the same as the Prime movie era refit as the details on the ship seem to indicate (which makes the most sense) or three times the size as the interior of the hangar bay would lead one to believe.

Mike Okuda was a Tech Consultant for Hayne's Owners Workshop U.S.S. ENTERPRISE book, and in the book it is mentioned that the new Enterprise from the movies is indeed considerably larger (in-universe) than her TOS counterpart.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

She's come a long way from her cruise liner appearance to a more streamlined warship, which she has become more and more over all the movies since TMP. She's not that much bigger than original. You can tell that by the shipyard scene and the exterior bridge shots. Visually on screen she's about 10% bigger overall.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!