The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG HD trailer!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
At first I said, I wouldn't buy this set unless they do like TOS and include new special effects along with the old ones. Though seeing the comparison shoots now I am intrigued and may reconsider. Maybe it's my 20/20 vision but the difference in clarity is pretty big.
I expect the re-compositing will result in finished shots that will appear 'as new' compared to their composited-in-video SD counterparts. They can stitch together the multiple passes digitally, so you don't sacrifice quality when you lay them on top of each other.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm not big on their choices of episodes (although I don't actually dislike 'Farpoint' that much) and yes from that brief (like highly brief) shot there is better clarity in that effects shot...

.....but I'm not convinced that I need this.

I would have to really properly see some episodes to get a feel. And even then, it's doubtful. Not at the full initial cost the Blu-ray's would likely be. They would have to be on a really good sale down the line for me to consider it all over again.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I'm not big on their choices of episodes (although I don't actually dislike 'Farpoint' that much) and yes from that brief (like highly brief) shot there is better clarity in that effects shot...

I would have to really properly see some episodes to get a feel. And even then, it's doubtful. Not at the full initial cost the Blu-ray's would likely be. They would have to be on a really good sale down the line for me to consider it all over again.
I imagine they eventually will be. I was able to order the TOS BDs for $40 each from Best Buy last year (granted, the cases came slightly cracked).

I just hope they get as far as S4 with this. If enough suckers like me buy seasons 1-2, that should do the trick. I don't want to get the sampler though, if S1 is pretty much a guaranteed thing by that point. For my money 'Farpoint' was one of the worst pilots ever made. Thank god the series was already contracted when they made it...

Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

My guess is they picked "Encounter at Farpoint" because it has a lot of special effects shots in it and so people can compare the first episode to later episodes and see how good the images are through out the series. I'm also not a big fan of how Paramount always releases Star Trek with higher price points then every other show

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I just hope they get as far as S4 with this. If enough suckers like me buy seasons 1-2, that should do the trick. I don't want to get the sampler though, if S1 is pretty much a guaranteed thing by that point. For my money 'Farpoint' was one of the worst pilots ever made. Thank god the series was already contracted when they made it...
I would think that the whole series is being done. I doubt they would stop mid-series due to sales being low. Sales may affect the future blu-ray releases of DS9 and Voyager though. Does anyone know if the CGI in those shows were rendered in 1080p? I know that was an issue with the new special effects in TMP and the blu-ray release because those effects weren't
Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Commander

Quote:
My guess is they picked "Encounter at Farpoint" because it has a lot of special effects shots in it and so people can compare the first episode to later episodes and see how good the images are through out the series. I'm also not a big fan of how Paramount always releases Star Trek with higher price points then every other show

I would think that the whole series is being done. I doubt they would stop mid-series due to sales being low. Sales may affect the future blu-ray releases of DS9 and Voyager though. Does anyone know if the CGI in those shows were rendered in 1080p? I know that was an issue with the new special effects in TMP and the blu-ray release because those effects weren't
I don't imagine anyone is a huge fan of their pricing. But CBS wants these BluRays to sell, and the market keeps changing thanks to all this 'streaming' crap; I'm sort of hoping that these will be better priced. Though that may be unrealistic.

To my knowledge, no foresight regarding HD was factored into production prior to ENT. Although I think DS9 continued using models throughout most of its run. I'll confess I was quite surprised to hear they had switched to CG, as back then I just assumed that all TV-budgeted CGI would look like Babylon 5. And I still cannot tell quite when they switched over.

Had TNG-R had its effects overhauled by CBS Digital (and I'm very thankful to hear that won't be the case), I'm sure the CG models would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
I don't imagine anyone is a huge fan of their pricing. But CBS wants these BluRays to sell, and the market keeps changing thanks to all this 'streaming' crap; I'm sort of hoping that these will be better priced. Though that may be unrealistic.
I hope so too. The TOS Remastered season sets were cheaper then the TOS DVD season sets.

Quote:
To my knowledge, no foresight regarding HD was factored into production prior to ENT. Although I think DS9 continued using models throughout most of its run. I'll confess I was quite surprised to hear they had switched to CG, as back then I just assumed that all TV-budgeted CGI would look like Babylon 5. And I still cannot tell quite when they switched over.
Did some reading and apparently the Defiant was all CGI though the station was a model until the very last shoot of the series. I guess they would have to redo all the Defiant shoots then to bring up to true 1080p.

Quote:
Had TNG-R had its effects overhauled by CBS Digital (and I'm very thankful to hear that won't be the case), I'm sure the CG models would have stuck out like a sore thumb.
This is a CGI shoot of the Enterprise-D from "These Are the Voyages":

She looks pretty good to me.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
This is a CGI shoot of the Enterprise-D from "These Are the Voyages":

She looks pretty good to me.
But that's not CBS Digital's work. And not what a TNG remastering project would look like, if they created all-new CG effects at a mere fraction of the time and money used to create effects for a first-run series.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
At first I said, I wouldn't buy this set unless they do like TOS and include new special effects along with the old ones. Though seeing the comparison shoots now I am intrigued and may reconsider. Maybe it's my 20/20 vision but the difference in clarity is pretty big.
I think that remastering TNG is great for the long-run, not at least because remastering implies that it is treated as classic, as something that is worth to get polished up and preserved.
But it is probably more expensive than remastering TOS, otherwise they wouldn't probe the market via having worked on and releasing merely three episodes.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Commander

Here's another problem though, I want to watch TNG the way I remember it. Remastered is not the way I originally saw the series and though I'm not quite sure how I'd react to a remastered episode. Maybe favorably, maybe not. I went through this with the remastered Robotech cartoon. I bought the Dvds of the series when it was first released by ADV. Later a remastered version was released, I didn't like it, it was too cleaned up plus they changed the theme song and title intro and introduced new sound effects. Well, that killed it for me. A friend of mine couldn't get into TOS remastered because it wasn't the way he remembered watching the episodes as a kid and was buying the Dvds for the naustalgia factor.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Commander

Quote:
But that's not CBS Digital's work. And not what a TNG remastering project would look like, if they created all-new CG effects at a mere fraction of the time and money used to create effects for a first-run series.
I wouldn't want anything less then that quality so a half a$$ed job off it wouldn't be worth it. I do like that they are putting in a lot of effort to restore the original effects in HD though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think that remastering TNG is great for the long-run, not at least because remastering implies that it is treated as classic, as something that is worth to get polished up and preserved.
But it is probably more expensive than remastering TOS, otherwise they wouldn't probe the market via having worked on and releasing merely three episodes.
I'm sure just due to the number of episodes and if I'm correct they didn't have to re-edit the original series just transfer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Here's another problem though, I want to watch TNG the way I remember it. Remastered is not the way I originally saw the series and though I'm not quite sure how I'd react to a remastered episode. Maybe favorably, maybe not. I went through this with the remastered Robotech cartoon. I bought the Dvds of the series when it was first released by ADV. Later a remastered version was released, I didn't like it, it was too cleaned up plus they changed the theme song and title intro and introduced new sound effects. Well, that killed it for me. A friend of mine couldn't get into TOS remastered because it wasn't the way he remembered watching the episodes as a kid and was buying the Dvds for the naustalgia factor.
That's why they include both the old and new special effects on the TOS blu-ray set, best of both worlds.