The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Abrams' Trek Comic goes on sale today
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Could THIS be the NEW movie?
Doubtful. Orci is a creative consultant on the series, meaning, that nothing will be done in the comic that will contradict or conflict with the direction the sequel will take. However, this comic might be some indication of what we will be getting in the sequel, mainly a re-hash of old episode storylines and characters recast in Abramsverse. Orci said in an interview a few months back that the Abramsverse Star Trek videogame coming out in 2012, that deals with the Doomsday device, ties-in with the upcoming sequel.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
However, this comic might be some indication of what we will be getting in the sequel, mainly a re-hash of old episode storylines and characters recast in Abramsverse.
I *seriously* doubt that to be the case. Especially now that we have the comic books for this.

Quote:
Orci said in an interview a few months back that the Abramsverse Star Trek videogame coming out in 2012, that deals with the Doomsday device, ties-in with the upcoming sequel.
I missed the interview where he said that.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Doubtful. Orci is a creative consultant on the series, meaning, that nothing will be done in the comic that will contradict or conflict with the direction the sequel will take. However, this comic might be some indication of what we will be getting in the sequel, mainly a re-hash of old episode storylines and characters recast in Abramsverse. Orci said in an interview a few months back that the Abramsverse Star Trek videogame coming out in 2012, that deals with the Doomsday device, ties-in with the upcoming sequel.
Indeed. Their movie was a remake of NEM, their comics had a fanwank factor that makes ENT's fourth season look timid in comparison and now they actually repeat old episodes in comics.
Add the half-assed nature of the reboot and it becomes obvious that these writers lack new ideas and play it hyper-safe. As they get away with it I can't say I blame them.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Comic follows Act One of the episode VERY closely so far, but with an AU 'spin' on the circumstances. Dr. Dehner is indeed absent, and in a way that makes total sense (think of who all wasn't in the second pilot). It's interesting to watch the crew's AU counterparts make most of the same decisions that almost doomed them in this chapter from the original timeline.

I'm guessing these will all be four-issue installments, since the original episodes followed a four-act structure. If they really intend to give every episode this treatment (do they?), this is going to turn into a microcosm world of improbable circumstances pretty fast (not unlike the Mirror Universe).
Issue 4 is the the Gallileo 7 so it does look as though they may be picking the stories quite carefully.

Dr Dehner's absence is troubling. Now in both the movie and this comic, female characters have been retconned into insignificance or oblivion (Number One, T'Pau, Chapel, Rand, Amanda, Dehner) and yet additional male characters have been introduced (Chekov, Keenser, Kelso, Mitchell). If Dehner isn't on board, why not use a different established psychiatrist like Helen Noel and start to build up a recurring guest cast (with more options for meaningful deaths)? And where are all the women generally? The show was originally set in the sixties but the Butterfly Effect means that they are not bound by those sexist traditions.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I missed the interview where he said that.
I don't know if this is the same article that Chator refers to but I did find this which contains a variety of of quotes by Orci regarding the game etc.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/...vies-be-canon/

Of which I'd imagine the relevant portion might be -

''We want to make sure that we’re true to what happened in the universe. The things I want to see a lot of the same things that happened in Star Trek, a lot of the same scenarios but I want see them in a new way. In the original series they met the doomsday machine. What would happen if they met it now?''

This isn't however, to my reading anyway, some kind of definitive statement of what's happening in the sequel. It doesn't even directly say it's in this game (anyone played it to find out?). This seems to be him saying pretty much what everyone else is wondering whilst simultaneously asking for 'new' stories (myself included), which is really just the question of how might some of the things that we saw happen in TOS pan out in the new timline. Since they are (mostly) all still out there in the new timeline as well, we can surmise. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Might that inform future films? Yep. But it's no guarantee they will either.

EDIT: Unless, of course, the Doomsday Device shows up in this game of theirs somewhere (I don't play PC games so I will never know unless I read about it somewhere or it's content gets discussed. If it did show up in the game and the game is supposed to be a 'bridge' then that might lend the idea some credence.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 09-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Issue 4 is the the Gallileo 7 so it does look as though they may be picking the stories quite carefully.

Dr Dehner's absence is troubling. Now in both the movie and this comic, female characters have been retconned into insignificance or oblivion (Number One, T'Pau, Chapel, Rand, Amanda, Dehner) and yet additional male characters have been introduced (Chekov, Keenser, Kelso, Mitchell). If Dehner isn't on board, why not use a different established psychiatrist like Helen Noel and start to build up a recurring guest cast (with more options for meaningful deaths)? And where are all the women generally? The show was originally set in the sixties but the Butterfly Effect means that they are not bound by those sexist traditions.
Or even introduce...
Dr. (Carol) Markus. I know that she is a bio engineer in STII, but here, just starting out, she could add some novice/intern expertise on human/environmental genetics.

Nurse Chapel, only in this universe, she is working on her doctorate and has something more than a nurse's role to offer.

Yeoman Rand? She could play a significant part in this universe, possibly an early counterpart to TY's character in TNG. Someone more than Kirk's fascination or just a transporter tech as played in TMP.

As for Keenser? He will probably never have enough time, movie-wise to become a significant character that has a major role. However, maybe he, as a character, could become expendable? Saving the ship/Scotty?

Mitchell? If the comic follows TOS enough, then he is about to become the protagonist and later a dead one. Kirk's personal KM? A conflict or a sacrifice of GM that he, Kirk, looses on an emotional level, though the ship and crew are saved? A throwback to WNMHGB and TWOK.

Kelso? Give him something more heroic, if he must die, than a simple noose around the neck after his original character's scavenging the correct parts for the Enterprise's repair.

Plenty of death potential in those 3 characters...

Just throwing my thoughts out there, but there are others who have just as good ideas of their own to share...It's all constructive...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
Okay, good. They're not just going to continue onto 'The Corbomite Maneuver' and proceed systematically then. And three issues per episode sounds more manageable than four. This is promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
This isn't however, to my reading anyway, some kind of definitive statement of what's happening in the sequel. It doesn't even directly say it's in this game (anyone played it to find out?). This seems to be him saying pretty much what everyone else is wondering whilst simultaneously asking for 'new' stories (myself included), which is really just the question of how might some of the things that we saw happen in TOS pan out in the new timline. Since they are (mostly) all still out there in the new timeline as well, we can surmise. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Might that inform future films? Yep. But it's no guarantee they will either.
I just think it would be a total waste to base a movie off of one of the established adventures. You're already spending $150 million to make the picture, and you're (likely) only directing/producing three movies anyway. Would you waste that if you were JJ? I wouldn't.

I see this comic series as providing an outlet for that kind of AU speculation regarding those stories, but in a way that doesn't involve wasting a whole feature film on that. In other words, I take this as further reassurance that the next movie won't be that.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I just think it would be a total waste to base a movie off of one of the established adventures. You're already spending $150 million to make the picture, and you're (likely) only directing/producing three movies anyway. Would you waste that if you were JJ? I wouldn't.
Personally, I wouldn't go around remaking episodes in a direct literal fashion. On the other hand, it's possible that some things could be utilised in a manner that gives them a different bent while still showing up.

I don't know which ones exactly, probably the Salt Vampire isn't going to appear! But stuff like the DM, Talosians, BB, The Guardian (i.e the bigger guns of famous episodes) etc could still be fertile for something that could support or appear in a film.

I don't think I would use them myself..........but I'm not doing the flick.

Quote:
I see this comic series as providing an outlet for that kind of AU speculation regarding those stories, but in a way that doesn't involve wasting a whole feature film on that. In other words, I take this as further reassurance that the next movie won't be that.
Seems a reasonable theory.

I guess when specifics start to emerge about the sequel, we'll know.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default To boldly go where everyone has gone before

There is nothing wrong with using familiar ingredients in TV Trek as long as they are not used for the sake of themselves. ENT's fourth season set the benchmark for how to make a point with weaving things together, e.g. the Klingons and the Augments.

But movies are hardly a suitable place to delve into such issues, remaking TWOK/NEM ad infinitum is becoming tiresome and blunt story repetitions like in the case of these comics (there is really an audience for this crap, there are really people who buy comics of TV episodes?) are simply pathetic.
Despite the reboot the franchise is still too obsessed with its past which wouldn't be a bad thing if this were a productive force like in 2004 and 2005.
But as mere fanwank is hardly productive the franchise needs another Meyer, somebody who isn't afraid to piss people in their faces. As such a figure is antithetical to Paramount's current business strategy concerning Trek the question becomes whether the next small screen Trek incarnation will be contaminated by the blockbusters of the next years.