The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Abrams' Trek Comic goes on sale today
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default Abrams' Trek Comic goes on sale today

It's a re-imagining of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" from season 1 of the original series, but in Abramsverse (Abrams' Star Trek universe).

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../idwfirsts.htm

A preview of the first nine pages are available on the Continuum Comics website linked above.

Last edited by chator : 09-21-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
It's a re-imagining of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" from season 1 of the original series, but in Abramsverse (Abrams' Star Trek universe).

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../idwfirsts.htm

A preview of the first nine pages are available on the Continuum Comics website linked above.
Ok, I saw the implication, in this comic, of the Enterprise leaving Earth at the end of STXI in less than perfect condition? Scotty mentioning a major refit? Kelsoe and GARY? Where is Dr. Dehner?...

If the "E" winds up taking (another) pounding from the barrier, where are they going to go for repairs, as the original planet in question is no longer there? lol

Maybe there will be a later refit into something more like TMP "E"? IDK, who would?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Ok, I saw the implication, in this comic, of the Enterprise leaving Earth at the end of STXI in less than perfect condition? Scotty mentioning a major refit? Kelsoe and GARY? Where is Dr. Dehner?...

If the "E" winds up taking (another) pounding from the barrier, where are they going to go for repairs, as the original planet in question is no longer there? lol

Maybe there will be a later refit into something more like TMP "E"? IDK, who would?
Could THIS be the NEW movie?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

No more refits. The refit cliche is one that should be left in the past IMO.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
No more refits. The refit cliche is one that should be left in the past IMO.
Sorry, I would/could/should have added a "sarcasm" simile to my post about that, my own views of the ships appearance not withstanding, but don't have one...lol
Just seemed like someone was trying to "open a door" to the thought...lol

Other than the refit and possible engineering problems with the "E", would/could the new movie have any basis on this particular comic?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Sorry, I would/could/should have added a "sarcasm" simile to my post about that, my own views of the ships appearance not withstanding, but don't have one...lol
Just seemed like someone was trying to "open a door" to the thought...lol

Other than the refit and possible engineering problems with the "E", would/could the new movie have any basis on this particular comic?
Perhaps in some small way, similar to the Countdown series before the last one.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Futureguy Futureguy is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Perhaps in some small way, similar to the Countdown series before the last one.
Well I sort of see that but how smooth would the transition from comic prequel to movie be this time? Better, I hope...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Well I sort of see that but how smooth would the transition from comic prequel to movie be this time? Better, I hope...
Probably about the same. The movie is a wide release, they won't give the comic much consideration. If there is something they want to do that will conflict with the comic, they'll do it and not give it a second thought. If anything, from a continuity standpoint it might even be a worse transition. The first Countdown comics were a marketing tactic tied to the film.
__________________


Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin : 09-21-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 PM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Probably about the same. The movie is a wide release, they won't give the comic much consideration. If there is something they want to do that will conflict with the comic, they'll do it and not give it a second thought. If anything, from a continuity standpoint it might even be a worse transition. The first Countdown comics were a marketing tactic tied to the film.
Having just walked across the street, picked this up and read it, I'm inclined to agree.

I think I know what this is. It's for all those fans yammering for Abramsverse remakes of their favorite episodes ("Hey, will Khan be in the next movie?"). You wanted it, you got it fanboys. And the best part is, we're not wasting lots of money and a potentially good follow-up movie bringing it to you.

Comic follows Act One of the episode VERY closely so far, but with an AU 'spin' on the circumstances. Dr. Dehner is indeed absent, and in a way that makes total sense (think of who all wasn't in the second pilot). It's interesting to watch the crew's AU counterparts make most of the same decisions that almost doomed them in this chapter from the original timeline.

I'm guessing these will all be four-issue installments, since the original episodes followed a four-act structure. If they really intend to give every episode this treatment (do they?), this is going to turn into a microcosm world of improbable circumstances pretty fast (not unlike the Mirror Universe).

My thinking is, you therefore want to keep these separate from the films as much as possible. Think of them as almost a 'subcanon' extension of the main movie canon, not unlike Countdown. Future films might get away with wink-wink references to these adventures in casual dialogue (much like how The Hobbit was referenced in the LOTR movies), and old-school Trekkies will get them regardless of their level of commitment... with these comics explaining exactly how said adventures tie into the AU, for those who are 'really' interested. (Most of the ST 'Supreme Courts' that have existed over the years regarded much of TOS to be sort of unofficially apocryphal anyway. And this comic alone reminds me of what a strange episode 'Where No Man...' was).

Myself, I'm mostly impressed with how in-character this comic was with the characters as they were portrayed in ST09. It really does seem like a direct continuation. And while I think doing 'every' episode would be overkill, I'll be looking forward to 'Amok Time'.

Despite reservations, I think I'll actually follow this. It's the franchise thing to do, sucka.

PS: Refresh my memory, what other ST09 'tie-in' comics were made after Countdown? I know I've asked this before, got the answer, but failed to act on it at the time. Like wasn't there a 'Spock' series and a 'Nero' series, and perhaps something else as well?
__________________


Last edited by samwiseb : 09-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

I know there was a Nero one but I never read it. Not sure about Spock.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.