The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > My take on the Federation class Dreadnaught
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default My take on the Federation class Dreadnaught

This design, actually a slight variant of it, is based on the Federation class Dreadnaught that appears in Franz Joseph's Star Trek Technical Manual.

It is the U.S.S. Federation, NCC-2100. Hope ya like. As with the Classic Connie I did, I think this one kinda looks like it jumped right out from the cels of Star Trek The Animated Series. She had hull lighting on the bottom half of the secondary hull, but somehow it inexplicably disappeared. I'll try to restore that. But, she still has the flashy/blinkies, and the animated Bussard collectors just like a good TOS Federation ship should.

Anyhoo, hope ya' like:

(NOTE: After posting these images, I aligned the saucer NCC numbers better to the saucer itself.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USS Federation 005.jpg (45.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg USS Federation 001.jpg (51.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg USS Federation 002.jpg (46.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg USS Federation 003.jpg (40.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg USS Federation 004.jpg (37.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by martok2112 : 09-05-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Just curious, what app are you using to make your models?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
This design, actually a slight variant of it, is based on the Federation class Dreadnaught that appears in Franz Joseph's Star Trek Technical Manual.

It is the U.S.S. Federation, NCC-2100. Hope ya like. As with the Classic Connie I did, I think this one kinda looks like it jumped right out from the cels of Star Trek The Animated Series. She had hull lighting on the bottom half of the secondary hull, but somehow it inexplicably disappeared. I'll try to restore that. But, she still has the flashy/blinkies, and the animated Bussard collectors just like a good TOS Federation ship should.

Anyhoo, hope ya' like:

(NOTE: After posting these images, I aligned the saucer NCC numbers better to the saucer itself.)
How are you mapping your textures...what program for the models?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Commander

Quote:

Anyhoo, hope ya' like:

This would be a TOS analogue to TNG/DS9 Defiant?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

Hi, guys.

Saquist and Canadianrosey, in answer to your questions, I use Blender (powerful, free 3D modeling and animation app) to make the parts for the ships, and then assemble and texture them in iClone (after conversion through 3DEXChange).

So, in the Blender end of the pipeline, I fabricate the individual parts (the impulse deck, the saucer, the warp engines, the secondary hull, the shuttle doors....you get the picture.)

Then, I convert each of the pieces for use in iClone via a program called 3DEXChange. This allows me to convert .obj files into .vns format files, ,ready for use in iClone itself. (I can also convert iClone files into .obj files for editing in Blender...this will come in handy when I want to create catastrophically battle-damaged ships)

When I first started using this method of assembly, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I thought pieces would skewer wayyyy out of place and proportion, but, everything fits together quite nicely...which is MUCH better than trying to build a model straight out of iClone, which has a nice number of primitive shapes, but those shapes can only be rescaled, and not reshaped. And then, it's a risk of putting the iClone primitives together. Sometimes I would end up with way disproportioned and distorted shapes. My only recourse was to create a small, invisible, central cube to connect those shapes to, since a cube is one of the most stable of shapes to attach anything to.

However, with importing the custom components from Blender, that problem rarely crops up, and then at that, it is usually only if I try to apply an odd iClone shape to the Blender imported component...but, as I said, that problem is usually rectified in the manner I described above.

iClone itself is a 3D animation app, with limited modeling capabilities. So, it's better that I just make my models in Blender. But here in iClone is where I apply the textures. Now the texturing is done here in two stages. First stage involves stuff that is directly applied to the individual hull pieces (such as the pseudo Azteca styled hull plating). The second stage involves things like hull lettering and window lighting by applying "planes" objects to the ship.

Futureguy, I suppose this could sorta be analogue to the DS9 Defiant....except this ship is a whole lot bigger. However, this ship was dreamt of years before the show DS9 ever came into existence.

Last edited by martok2112 : 09-06-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Commander

Quote:

Anyhoo, hope ya' like:

NCC 2100: United Federation of Planets Dreadnaught.......Said of this ship by it's Captain, "You don't want to open THIS can 'o Whup-Azz"
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Federation Councillor

It looks pretty good................but might I ask if the size of the saucer is based on the Franz Joseph design or different.

Looking at it, I feel that I would have made the saucer section a bit larger to match the larger secondary hull.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, guys.

Hahaha, Futureguy. Good line. Or to quote a line from a poem that John Denver recited: "Kindly do not touch....it's war."

Kevin, the saucer seems to be right, especially when I look at the silhouette of the dreadnaught in the tech manual page.. I don't have the tech manual anymore, but, the image is still available sometimes if you Google it.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It looks pretty good................but might I ask if the size of the saucer is based on the Franz Joseph design or different.

Looking at it, I feel that I would have made the saucer section a bit larger to match the larger secondary hull.
The primary hull is larger in relation to the secondary hull in all the TOS era dreadnaught pics and schematics I've seen, but it's martok's interpretation of the beast. The telescoping, forward mounted deflector array and shuttlebay are an interesting addition. Bulking up the secondary hull to that proportion kind of gives his interpretation of the dreadnaught a bottom-heavy palooka look, like bad news just shambled in through the front door and is just looking for some poor *** to whup.

This dreadnaught is another model with a TAS feel and a decidedly quirky appeal for me. Martok could've named it the USS Bluto and it would've fit. Me likes, methinks!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrosey View Post
The primary hull is larger in relation to the secondary hull in all the TOS era dreadnaught pics and schematics I've seen, but it's martok's interpretation of the beast. The telescoping, forward mounted deflector array and shuttlebay are an interesting addition. Bulking up the secondary hull to that proportion kind of gives his interpretation of the dreadnaught a bottom-heavy palooka look, like bad news just shambled in through the front door and is just looking for some poor *** to whup.

This dreadnaught is another model with a TAS feel and a decidedly quirky appeal for me. Martok could've named it the USS Bluto and it would've fit. Me likes, methinks!
Most kind, Canadianrosey. Thank you.