The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > TNG:Remastered coming 2012 on Blu-ray
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Commander

I think in the case of TNG you would keep the shots as close as possible to what they were, save for instances where it's possible to significantly improve the visual flow of a sequence (say you have your ST signature Enterprise fly-by sequence composed to two reverse shots, and you realize you would get better fluidity choosing a different angle B-shot; that sort of thing).

Ideally, they might even have photographic visual effect elements saved that they could simply re-composite for HD. I'm not clear on exactly at what phase in contemporary ST's production that material was shifted from film to video (it was well before final editing though, which is what makes a TNG remastering project tricky).

The ultimate goal though is to bring TNG up to the resolution of HD. There's nothing 'wrong' with most of the effects as they are, whether they have photographic elements they can reassemble or need to mimic them using full CGI instead. It's not like TOS where many of the effects really were in terrible shape due to the photographic techniques of the time.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Commander

I like Kevin's idea of doing up a few chosen episodes. I think doing all 170-odd episodes would just cost way too much and they'd never make their money back. The effects hardly hold the show back like they did in TOS. Ok some of it could be better but it's not the kind of stuff you cringe at with a sharp intake of breath, it's just a little old. All part of the charm IMO.

Quote:
The ultimate goal though is to bring TNG up to the resolution of HD. There's nothing 'wrong' with most of the effects as they are, whether they have photographic elements they can reassemble or need to mimic them using full CGI instead. It's not like TOS where many of the effects really were in terrible shape due to the photographic techniques of the time.
Agreed, sums it up.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

If they are redoing the effects there is one thing that I would like to see. In the episode of Hide & Q where Q gives Riker the power of the Q, Riker ages Wesley Crusher to an adult. Of course the actor they chose looks nothing like how Wil Wheaton turned out to look like as an adult. So what about have Wheaton re-film those scenes and add him into that footage, thus replacing the other actor. As long as they still offer the original footage as an extra or perhaps in the footage via seamless branching I wouldn't see any problem with it.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Just like it was no problem to replace the original Anakin guy with the new Anakin guy

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Commander

Yeah, don't F around with that.

The only reason for redoing the effects in the first place is that (we assume) no photographic elements for the effects exist on film (as opposed to SD videotape). Outside of that, there shouldn't be a need to 'improve' on any of the effects let alone do anything outside the scope of the project. If something wouldn't have been done for TOS-R, then don't do it for TNG-R.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Lots of effects in first season could use a serious touch up.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Lots of effects in first season could use a serious touch up.
Since they would presumably be creating most of the effects from scratch, I don't imagine that would be a serious problem while still sticking as close to the original shots as possible.

However, lets keep in mind that new effects, while more suitable for HD, wouldn't (necessarily) 'look' better, or even as good, as the existing effects. The TOS-R project for example was 50/50. On one hand, there's little denying that the heavy grain and compositing artifacts alone would by most accounts make the original TOS effects unsuitable for HD resolution (hence the newer effects). On the other, a lot of the TOS-R effects are greatly lacking in texture, and in many instances the original effects may be preferable, warts and all. Daren Dotcherman may claim that this was because CBS Digital never fully refined their technique, however it's likely that shortness of time and budget was also a HUGE factor. There's no reason to suspect it will be any different with TNG.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

I look forward to seeing how hokey some of it will look in HD. Some of those first season episodes are quite corny in effects (and acting), but that's early TNG's charm for me
Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Federation Councillor

I actually doubt I would buy them. It's not the same 'need' to have it all redone the way it could be argued to be needed for TOS.

I have the DVD's already, so I think I would pass.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'd just buy the sampler, and maybe the first season (if the project actually materializes). It's quite simple to catch episodes (primarily from later seasons) here in the US on TV, so I've never bought any TNG sets.