The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Gay Trek: Coming Soon...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 PM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default Gay Trek: Coming Soon...

From the suggestion that David Foster's new Star Trek series will contain a gay main character, http://www.afterelton.com/tv/gay-star-trek-tv-series.

To J.J. Abrams statement regarding the upcoming sequel to Star Trek (2009), "I would say that it is, you know, something that I would love to do, but just the way I would be careful doing a story that would involve any of the characters and their personal lives...I don’t know who’s assuming characters aren’t gay or are gay?"

It seems that Gay Trek is becoming more of a possibility.

Homosexuality, the final frontier for Trek?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:30 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

The presence of homosexual characters warrants the name "Gay Trek" as little as calling TOS "Straight Trek" because Kirk screws everything that cannot climb onto trees. TOS is neither "Russian Trek" because of Chekov or "African Trek" because of Uhura or "Japanese Trek" because of Sulu. The idea of Trek was and hopefully still is that everybody goes into space, black and white, straight and gay. The very fact that people (not just random folks but Trekkers who should get what Trek is about) make the potential presence of homosexual characters in future Trek incarnations an issue shows how reactionary the times are (at least compared to the sixties).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
From the suggestion that David Foster's new Star Trek series will contain a gay main character, http://www.afterelton.com/tv/gay-star-trek-tv-series.

To J.J. Abrams statement regarding the upcoming sequel to Star Trek (2009), "I would say that it is, you know, something that I would love to do, but just the way I would be careful doing a story that would involve any of the characters and their personal lives...I don’t know who’s assuming characters aren’t gay or are gay?"

It seems that Gay Trek is becoming more of a possibility.

Homosexuality, the final frontier for Trek?
Your point?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The presence of homosexual characters warrants the name "Gay Trek" as little as calling TOS "Straight Trek" because Kirk screws everything that cannot climb onto trees. TOS is neither "Russian Trek" because of Chekov or "African Trek" because of Uhura or "Japanese Trek" because of Sulu. The idea of Trek was and hopefully still is that everybody goes into space, black and white, straight and gay. The very fact that people (not just random folks but Trekkers who should get what Trek is about) make the potential presence of homosexual characters in future Trek incarnations an issue shows how reactionary the times are (at least compared to the sixties).
That's just it, Horatio. There has never been a human gay character on Trek, leading some to speculate if gays even exist in Roddenberry's vision of the future. That is why it is an issue. So your point that straight and gay go into space is wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Homosexual people have existed since the dawn of time so they'll also exist in the future.
The absence of homosexual characters doesn't imply that there are supposed to be none. I am German and the only Germans I have ever seen in Trek were nazis ... but this doesn't mean that Germans don't go into space and I couldn't care less about their presence or absence. To be frank I don't care about the absence of presence of LGBT folks (let's not forget transsexual people who have a much harder time than gay or bisexual folks) in Trek either whereas I enjoyed the few episodes that dealt with sexual identity very much.

Let me use your Abrams quote to point out why I am against these representation games. The last Trek movie was probably the most unenlightened Trek story in years and the folks at the helm make it crystal clear that they don't care about the general principles of Trek at all.
Suppose there will be a gay character in the next movie such that everybody can claim that JJA et al are so progessive ... while they are in fact not giving a damn about Roddenberry's vision at all. You also have this a lot in politics, gay right-wingers like Fortuyn or Haider can pretend to be liberal and open and so on while they are in fact the very opposite.

To prevent any misunderstandings, I am not against the presence of homosexual characters in Trek, I merely like to emphasize the importance of a holistic perspective. At least for me Trek doesn't automatically become good when discriminated folks are represented; it takes more than that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
mmoore's Avatar
mmoore mmoore is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: OKUSA
Posts: 1,973
Default

What does it have to do with the story? If it's not relevant to the plot it's just gratuitous, same as any other sex thrown into the mix. If it's the center of the plot, it's pandering.

If they have to ask themselves "where can we fit a gay dude?" then they are probably trying too hard.
__________________
"Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
There has never been a human gay character on Trek, leading some to speculate if gays even exist in Roddenberry's vision of the future. That is why it is an issue. So your point that straight and gay go into space is wrong.
There has never been a toilet on Star Trek, does that lead some to speculate if people take s hits in Roddenberry's vision of the future. Again I ask you, your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
What does it have to do with the story? If it's not relevant to the plot it's just gratuitous, same as any other sex thrown into the mix. If it's the center of the plot, it's pandering.
Who said anything about a sex scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
If they have to ask themselves "where can we fit a gay dude?" then they are probably trying too hard.
All David Foster has said is he will include a gay character in his series, I don't see anything wrong with that. At least on a series you can take time to develop a character which may not be possible in a two hour film.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Homosexual people have existed since the dawn of time so they'll also exist in the future.
The absence of homosexual characters doesn't imply that there are supposed to be none. I am German and the only Germans I have ever seen in Trek were nazis ... but this doesn't mean that Germans don't go into space and I couldn't care less about their presence or absence. To be frank I don't care about the absence of presence of LGBT folks (let's not forget transsexual people who have a much harder time than gay or bisexual folks) in Trek either whereas I enjoyed the few episodes that dealt with sexual identity very much.

Let me use your Abrams quote to point out why I am against these representation games. The last Trek movie was probably the most unenlightened Trek story in years and the folks at the helm make it crystal clear that they don't care about the general principles of Trek at all.
Suppose there will be a gay character in the next movie such that everybody can claim that JJA et al are so progessive ... while they are in fact not giving a damn about Roddenberry's vision at all. You also have this a lot in politics, gay right-wingers like Fortuyn or Haider can pretend to be liberal and open and so on while they are in fact the very opposite.

To prevent any misunderstandings, I am not against the presence of homosexual characters in Trek, I merely like to emphasize the importance of a holistic perspective. At least for me Trek doesn't automatically become good when discriminated folks are represented; it takes more than that.
Star Trek TOS was very much a product of its time; the space race, civil rights, the cold war. Roddenberry's idealistic vision of the future involved humans working together in space, not divided along national or racial boundaries. Gays and gay rights were not so much in the public conscience then as now, so not too surprising there was no gay character included.

Fast forward to the Berman/TNG era of Trek. This was basically a family show, a PG-13 space opera, where characters' sexual lives took a backseat to an anomoly in space. Captains were ascetic, unlike the sexually liberated Kirk. Characters would have to go on vacation to sex planets like Risa to get laid, or get it on with a holocharacter. The closest we ever got to LGBTG was the lesbian kiss between actresses Susana Thompson and Terry Ferrell in the DS9 episode, "Rejoined." In this episode, neither character was gay, Jadzia Dax was at best, bisexual.

But if you think about how many episodes were produced during this period, hundreds, it is surprising that not a single one involved a human gay character. This from a TV franchise that historically had been a trail blazer in terms of showing non-discriminatory attitudes toward people that are "different." In the meantime, we've seen plenty of gay characters, even recurring, regular gay characters on primetime TV sitcoms like Will & Grace. I'd say it is too late for Trek to redeem itself with a gay character now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Star Trek TOS was very much a product of its time; the space race, civil rights, the cold war. Roddenberry's idealistic vision of the future involved humans working together in space, not divided along national or racial boundaries. Gays and gay rights were not so much in the public conscience then as now, so not too surprising there was no gay character included.

Fast forward to the Berman/TNG era of Trek. This was basically a family show, a PG-13 space opera, where characters' sexual lives took a backseat to an anomoly in space. Captains were ascetic, unlike the sexually liberated Kirk. Characters would have to go on vacation to sex planets like Risa to get laid, or get it on with a holocharacter. The closest we ever got to LGBTG was the lesbian kiss between actresses Susana Thompson and Terry Ferrell in the DS9 episode, "Rejoined." In this episode, neither character was gay, Jadzia Dax was at best, bisexual.

But if you think about how many episodes were produced during this period, hundreds, it is surprising that not a single one involved a human gay character. This from a TV franchise that historically had been a trail blazer in terms of showing non-discriminatory attitudes toward people that are "different." In the meantime, we've seen plenty of gay characters, even recurring, regular gay characters on primetime TV sitcoms like Will & Grace. I'd say it is too late for Trek to redeem itself with a gay character now.
It's a shame that it didn't happen sooner and it isn't very "break threw" now but I don't think it's too late.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 PM
chator's Avatar
chator chator is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
It's a shame that it didn't happen sooner and it isn't very "break threw" now but I don't think it's too late.
It almost happened. Veteran Trek writer David Gerron (The Trouble with Tribbles) wrote an episode for TNG titled "Blood and Fire", which was an AIDS allegory and involved two openly gay human crew members, but it was shelved by Paramount producers. Later it was made into a New Voyages episode, after it was reworked into an TOS episode. TNG had a chance to make history, but it blew it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.