The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Stxi Wtf?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Commander

The "Big Lever" that Uhura was in charge of was for making the blinky light and shaky effects on the bridge. Would have been better to be an automatic function seeing how she needed so much time to "talk" to Spock.

First part of my answer just made me think about applying an analogy of pin-ball machine effects to the bridge.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Commander

As for the extra screens...how else were they going to keep track of multiple sports events?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Commander

I did not particularly appreciate the layout of the bridge and also did not think highly of the control surfaces. But no one from our century knowing how the control functions were placed is probably just the advancement of how things work in the 23rd century. In retrospective, I have seen younger children that did not know how to operate a LP Turntable, a few of them not even knowing WHAT it was, though it was still perfectly functional. Imagine someone giving you an iPad or a Smart Phone 20 years ago without an instruction manual. I would be wondering not only what it was, but how did it work.

lol
Old 08-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Commander

Wow ZIM...!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
A couple of theories on how this movie's Enterprise managed to fit all of those shuttles into a tight space:

1) Two words: Dimensionally Transcendental.

2) The Shuttles were designed to be inflated as they were called into use.

I loved the TARDIS-kinda-cameo in ENT's "Future Tense".

I agree with Zim's general idea that the sets look either industrial or flashy but never sci-fi-ish. The idea that engineering is dirty and dark whereas the bridge is tidy and bright, the guts vs. brains approach is fine but not when it comes at the cost of abandoning design coherence. Or to use the nasty f-word, Trek designs have always looked and should always look futuristic and functional.

I also disliked the police officer. On the one hand he calls Kirk citizen, surely a bit uber-polite after a theft, on the other hand he wears a helmet. Seems a bit schizophrenic and doesn't really help to establish Earth as a decent place. With fascistoid cops, brawling Starfleet cadets, abusive stepdads and doctors who are forced to work in space despite their aerophobia after they have been robbed by their ex-wife it actually appears to be less hostile than a rainy day on Ferenginar with only maggots and worms on the menu.
Intercut the Earth scenes of the movie with anything cyberpunk and you wouldn't notice much of a difference.

The idea in TOS and Trek in general has been that the core of the Federation is decently administrated and that hardships await the "Trekkers", the colonists in the border regions of the Federation. "The Cage" and "Devil in the Dark" are examples for Earth vs. Outer Rim (one Wars reference for Zim ) that come to mind.
ST09 plays some romantic "let's get away from it all" notes but McCoy's first lines as well as the ensuing events of the movie show it's not really the mixture between a coming-of-age story and the search for a better life. Neither is it really dark (TUC, TWOK) nor about ethical dilemmas (In the Pale Moonlight). It is simply indifferent and by being indifferent it paradoxically takes a position, that whatever a character does is perfectly fine.

Trek has never been an anti-enlightenment franchise. Until now.

Last edited by horatio : 08-13-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Federation Councillor

I read a couple, but then realised it was just the usual whining....................yawn.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Commander

[quote=horatio;316609]
I loved the TARDIS-kinda-cameo in ENT's "Future Tense".

I agree with Zim's general idea that the sets look either industrial or flashy but never sci-fi-ish. The idea that engineering is dirty and dark whereas the bridge is tidy and bright, the guts vs. brains approach is fine but not when it comes at the cost of abandoning design coherence. Or to use the nasty f-word, Trek designs have always looked and should always look futuristic and functional.
__________________________________________________ _______________________
I guess that what would work better for me is to return some tactile elements to the bridge. Not necessarily buttons and switches, but at least put some texture into some areas of the panels. Get rid of the abundance of blinky-lights and put in some illumination that would not give some persons seizures. Return to the coherent, futuristic designs that worked within the story, but did not overpower it or leave one wondering if that really a good idea of the future of technology.

Above all...have a well-written, coherent script that could drive the story even if there were fewer explosions.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

So would you still drink plain labelled beer?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'll have a beer please

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I'll have a beer please

Good man!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!