The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Michael Bay’s Letter to Projectionists: Transformers 3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Federation Councillor

I virtually never buy anything on DVD or Blu-ray that I haven't seen at least once before. It wastes too much money because there are too many films that are just 'one-watch'.

I always either go to the cinema or rent first.

It stops me accumulating crap I don't need at home.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

That's true, I tend to rent them unless it's a movie I already love

Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Vice Admiral

Saw it. Was not impressed. Two hours of my life I wish I could get back. The first two were masterpieces compared to that steaming pile. SFX were awesome. But the movie sucked donkey yarbles. I'm so glad I didn't pay for it

Oh it was so horrible. I just had to come back again just to say that. I looked at my watch more during that stupid tipping building scene than I ever have in a movie theater. I mean really...how long does it take a big glass building to fall over? It felt like two hours just for that scene alone. And there was almost zero backstory for the new chick (whom I was seriously unimpressed with - I didn't think it could get worse than Megan Fox, but it did - Nice to look at, but horrible acting abilities) and what happened to whats-her-name. And John Malkovich's talents were woefully wasted on this POS of a movie. What was he doing there anyway? Comic relief? He and Francis McDormand were there purely for the purpose of having a few recognizable names in the credits. Wow. That was such a horrible movie. Almost as bad as STXI, but not quite.

I would so rather watch either of the first two over this crap.

Okay, I may be done with my rant for the time being. Wow. I was so disappointed.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 07-05-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Lieutenant Commander

My favorite of the three. Loved Nimoys nod to Star Trek.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
So here's what I consider the most important question regarding this movie: Does Trans3 afford you the option of ignoring that Trans2 ever happened? Is it free of any "Oh no, because remember when...?" moments?

Second most important question: In general, was it two-and-a-half hours well spent out of your life?
Did you ever decide to skip it or catch it?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post
My favorite of the three. Loved Nimoys nod to Star Trek.
I still tend to think the first one is 'best', but I think it was a definite improvement over the second one in just about every way that it possibly can be.

And I'm not even one of those folks who hated the second one anyway.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Did you ever decide to skip it or catch it?
I think I still haven't reached that decision point yet. It's still on my list of movies to see (ie, it hasn't been bumped off yet).

On the other hand, I never 'officially' bumped The Green Lantern off my list either. And yet, I think it's safe to say at this point I'm probably not going to waste my time on it.

A week ago Saturday I went in intending to see it (Transformers, I mean). Bought my ticket and everything. Bought my bottle of water, walked down the hall, looked right, looked left, and then... walked into the next showing of Super 8. Which I have now seen three times (I figure that's probably enough).

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I think I still haven't reached that decision point yet. It's still on my list of movies to see (ie, it hasn't been bumped off yet).

On the other hand, I never 'officially' bumped The Green Lantern off my list either. And yet, I think it's safe to say at this point I'm probably not going to waste my time on it.

A week ago Saturday I went in intending to see it (Transformers, I mean). Bought my ticket and everything. Bought my bottle of water, walked down the hall, looked right, looked left, and then... walked into the next showing of Super 8. Which I have now seen three times (I figure that's probably enough).
I still need to wait til Aug. 19th for that one here.

Although, outta curiosity is what you did commonplace in the US? I read in a lot of movie sites comments from people that they often seem to buy tickets to one film and then either go straight to another or after ten/twenty minutes of one go and find another. I dunno, I always go and see the film I bought the ticket for.

Is switching once your in common? Is it expected? Or is it just one of the US/UK cinemagoing experience divides?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I still need to wait til Aug. 19th for that one here.

Although, outta curiosity is what you did commonplace in the US? I read in a lot of movie sites comments from people that they often seem to buy tickets to one film and then either go straight to another or after ten/twenty minutes of one go and find another. I dunno, I always go and see the film I bought the ticket for.

Is switching once your in common? Is it expected? Or is it just one of the US/UK cinemagoing experience divides?
Probably the latter. Just because people have really short attention spans, and it doesn't take much for them to get bored and walk out of the picture they've paid for. Then where do they go? They just paid $10.50. At Return of the King, my cousins just had to watch the first 30min of Elf, instead of waiting in line for half an hour. We still got good seats at ROTK, but we might have done better.

Then I suppose there's paying for one movie but sticking around for a second? I've never done that myself though; I'm not sneaky enough. I suppose high school kids do it with their friends, just so they can say they've done it. Probably too caught up in the whole social life/dating scene to even really watch the movies anyway. One time I got the whole "Sir? Sir!" routine just because I was walking the hall checking out movie posters after a movie, and the ticket dude wanted me out of there before I decided to walk into another auditorium.

Last time I paid for a movie other than what I saw was when I was going to see 9. Star Trek was still in IMAX, it was still attracting huge crowds, I had heard people buying tickets for it at the stand, and I noticed on my way to my movie that nobody was policing the IMAX to make sure people going in had paid for an IMAX feature. And suddenly I just lost all enthusiasm for 9. So I went back into ST09 for probably my second IMAX visit, and my fifth visit overall. That was the last time I saw it in theater.

Now here's my question: Is 'texting' in movie theaters a big issue in the UK? Because I swear to god at Harry Potter this weekend I just wanted to through my water bottle at some people. I've about had it with seeing the glow from people's gadgets. Don't understand why they need, need, to be 'plugged in' all the time instead of getting the cinematic experience they paid for.

Last edited by samwiseb : 07-18-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Now here's my question: Is 'texting' in movie theaters a big issue in the UK? Because I swear to god at Harry Potter this weekend I just wanted to through my water bottle at some people. I've about had it with seeing the glow from people's gadgets. Don't understand why they need, need, to be 'plugged in' all the time instead of getting the cinematic experience they paid for.
It can be..................but it's not one that I've personally witnessed that often. What I usually find is that a lot of people do it until the film itself starts and then normally most people will put their phones away.

Talking can be a bit of an issue, but from my experience that's mostly if there's a gaggle of teenage girls present. Teenage boys seem to talk less unless it's a mixed group. I have seen on more than one occasion a group of them (all girls) get up en masse with their coats and bags and annoy people as they leave ten/twenty minutes before the end of the film. I never know if they just aren't enjoying the film or if they just bought a ticket and sat there to pass the time until their next VIP social engagement and they now have to leave or they will be late for their very important date!!

Which seems to me to be a costly way of passing the time but what do I know.

In fairness, I rarely experience any significantly annoying people in the cinemas overall. But I have heard of other people having moments in the cinemas.

courtesy of Saquist