The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Kirk/Chris Pine Appercation Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

Pine did an awesome job as Kirk. He gradually matured into the Kirk that we all knew and loved without aping anyone else's performances, and bringing his own take into the mix.

I think, by the next film, we'll still see a bit of the smart allecky Kirk, but certainly not the trouble-seeker from the first.

Which is interesting. Kirk really wasn't a trouble-maker in the first film, but he certainly wasn't one to shy away from it if trouble sought him out. It's like Pike said: He had his father's tendency to look before he leapt.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Fleet Admiral

He is young, he is smart, he is arrogant and because of his family situation he doesn't join Starfleet out of fear to not live up to the standards of his father. Once Pike becomes his substitute father (I think mentor is wrong because he doesn't actually give him any pragmatic tips or guide him, to me he seems to really fill the paternal authority void in Kirk's life) he can face this fear, overcome it and even surpass his father in the Kobayashi Mari test ... not at least because he is mad at him for not having been there for him, for having died, for not having cheated the no-win scenario.

So yeah, everything concerning Kirk was top notch in ST09. People who claim that the was just a punk totally miss the point.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
He is young, he is smart, he is arrogant and because of his family situation he doesn't join Starfleet out of fear to not live up to the standards of his father. Once Pike becomes his substitute father (I think mentor is wrong because he doesn't actually give him any pragmatic tips or guide him, to me he seems to really fill the paternal authority void in Kirk's life) he can face this fear, overcome it and even surpass his father in the Kobayashi Mari test ... not at least because he is mad at him for not having been there for him, for having died, for not having cheated the no-win scenario.

So yeah, everything concerning Kirk was top notch in ST09. People who claim that the was just a punk totally miss the point.
You bring up an interesting point, horatio, about Kirk surpassing his father in the Kobayashi Maru test.

What if the encounter with the Narada was actually a sort of inspiration for Starfleet creating the KM test? I mean, for the most part, George Kirk probably faced about as ultimate a no-win scenario as one could.

It was only stated in the movie that Spock had programmed the KMT for the last four years.....so it's quite possible that the KMT was created not long after the Narada incident 20 some years earlier...Spock simply improved on the test.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Vice Admiral

he may have been a bit of a idiot in the last one but I find he was just young hopefully he will act sensible and more grown up in the sequel

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
You bring up an interesting point, horatio, about Kirk surpassing his father in the Kobayashi Maru test.

What if the encounter with the Narada was actually a sort of inspiration for Starfleet creating the KM test? I mean, for the most part, George Kirk probably faced about as ultimate a no-win scenario as one could.

It was only stated in the movie that Spock had programmed the KMT for the last four years.....so it's quite possible that the KMT was created not long after the Narada incident 20 some years earlier...Spock simply improved on the test.
That's a good point, Martok. I could definitely see the Narada incident as being some sort of reason or inspiration for the KMT being developed.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"