The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New Space Shuttle returns from Secret Mission
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think fact-distorting would be an euphemism for this kind of ugly lie. Two instances don't make a pattern but we see how BB deals with "facts".

I totally disagree with you about Assange, for you he is a security threat and for me he is a transparency hero. We talk about it, we debate it fiercly but we don't go around and distort what the other guy says or even bluntly lie.
No, you and I have had many good discussions on economic and political ideas where we disagree, and I enjoy those talks. I find you to be a thoughtful and intelligent guy.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygMEt4lUWo8

Vague law? Okay, so the threat of invasion is vague. Fair enough.
putting military action on the table to possibly retrieve American nationals from another country. Yes, I call that a vague hypothetical, not a call for legalized invasion by the US, which you initially sold the Law as.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
No, you and I have had many good discussions on economic and political ideas where we disagree, and I enjoy those talks. I find you to be a thoughtful and intelligent guy.
So do I, Tom.
What has just happened here with BB is simply more of the shrill extremism which is all too present in political culture. We don't really want that when we chat, TV is already full with it.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
So do I, Tom.
What has just happened here with BB is simply more of the shrill extremism which is all too present in political culture. We don't really want that when we chat, TV is already full with it.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

To adress perhaps the space weapons issue once again, you correctly said that it is inevitable that space will get militarized. One country experiments with technology, another does the same and so on.

I also think that BB's suggestion to prevent or contain an arms race in space is noble. But it's less a matter of law, law is just the final form. Before there is a law you need trust, cooperation and so on. We make slow but steady progress on working together internationally on many issues, be it free trade, slowing down climate change or reducing the amount of nuclear weapons.
There was much more chaos in the world a hundred or two hundred years ago than today so we do progress but not over night.

Something like Trek's United Earth is a nice vision but it will take time and in the meantime nations have their self interests and rightly care about them. You don't wanna wake up one morning and realize that you have been naive and that the other guy has a much larger club than you do.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
To adress perhaps the space weapons issue once again, you correctly said that it is inevitable that space will get militarized. One country experiments with technology, another does the same and so on.

I also think that BB's suggestion to prevent or contain an arms race in space is noble. But it's less a matter of law, law is just the final form. Before there is a law you need trust, cooperation and so on. We make slow but steady progress on working together internationally on many issues, be it free trade, slowing down climate change or reducing the amount of nuclear weapons.
There was much more chaos in the world a hundred or two hundred years ago than today so we do progress but not over night.

Something like Trek's United Earth is a nice vision but it will take time and in the meantime nations have their self interests and rightly care about them. You don't wanna wake up one morning and realize that you have been naive and that the other guy has a much larger club than you do.
The 21st century is certainly going to present a lot of difficult challenges, there is no doubt about that. It could turn out to be a make or break century for us humans.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
The 21st century is certainly going to present a lot of difficult challenges, there is no doubt about that. It could turn out to be a make or break century for us humans.
Especially those poor subcontractors...............

courtesy of Saquist