The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why Star Trek XI is best!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

I used to always feel that the TNG films needed their "Wrath of Khan". While First Contact was indeed an enjoyable episode, it just didn't quite do that for me.

Upon first seeing Nemesis, I felt that they did indeed have their "TWOK", but upon further review, I can see how very fanboyish the movie is in many respects. John Logan (writer, Gladiator) claims to be a big time Star Trek fan, but in his interviews, you can kinda see where he wanted too get a little fanboyish with Nemesis, and as I said, unfortunately it shows.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm in agreement. I enjoyed NEM, despite its numerous flaws. But I must say that FC was a much better movie overall, IMO. Although it too had its share of flaws.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

First Contact was indeed enjoyable, but (as I've stated ad nauseam) it just feels too much like an episode to me.

Also, the movie blew its wad at the start...the big action scene was at the beginning...and not really a satisfying experience. It still had too much of the TV experience going on. More dialogue than substantial space battle footage.

I loved Nemesis because of all the space battle footage. It's too bad the story didn't get a better treatment. This was one of those scenarios where the money went well into the visual effects, but obviously not much into anywhere else.

It certainly didn't help that Nemesis was launched against more high profile films (LotR, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, etc), but they weren't the real reason for the film's downfall.

Sadly, the story was one that many Trek fans just felt nothing but apathy toward. Some characterizations just missed the mark with other Trek fans. (Which I found a bit odd....the fans will allow Picard to nearly succumb to the desire for revenge, but he's not allowed to have a little fun driving a cool ground exploration vehicle?) And in its attempt to bring in a bit of a more mainstream audience, it fell flat on its face.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Vice Admiral

I am getting so sick of people *****ing and *****ing about new trek like how do you think that makes other people that happened to like that includes me nu trek?.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 11-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
First Contact was indeed enjoyable, but (as I've stated ad nauseam) it just feels too much like an episode to me.

Also, the movie blew its wad at the start...the big action scene was at the beginning...and not really a satisfying experience. It still had too much of the TV experience going on. More dialogue than substantial space battle footage.

I loved Nemesis because of all the space battle footage. It's too bad the story didn't get a better treatment. This was one of those scenarios where the money went well into the visual effects, but obviously not much into anywhere else.

It certainly didn't help that Nemesis was launched against more high profile films (LotR, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, etc), but they weren't the real reason for the film's downfall.

Sadly, the story was one that many Trek fans just felt nothing but apathy toward. Some characterizations just missed the mark with other Trek fans. (Which I found a bit odd....the fans will allow Picard to nearly succumb to the desire for revenge, but he's not allowed to have a little fun driving a cool ground exploration vehicle?) And in its attempt to bring in a bit of a more mainstream audience, it fell flat on its face.
Most of the time, my single biggest complaint about NEM is the fact it's a TWOK rip-off.

Which is not really intended to offend those who like it, but when I see it - that's ALL I see. A very badly done TNG attempt at that film. But hey, my eyes are not the same as the eyes of others.

There are a myriad other set of problems with it as well to be sure, as with most of the films, but that's the killer for me in terms of NEM.

courtesy of Saquist