The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Official "Showin' Love for Harry Mudd" Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Midshipman

Who could play Harry Mudd today? Maybe Jon Lovitz...?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Lieutenant

Here's a fun script that combines the best of Star Trek's Harry Mudd and ''crosses universes'' with Star Wars.

It's an episodic script I wrote as if it were an ''80th episode'' of the original series and basically it's just a heck of a lot of fun reading. I wrote it as one of the samples that got me into the AFI, which led to later pitches at DS9 and Enterprise.

There are some nice little surprises in there for the TOS fans, especially how two people met for the first time.

Just download the script

The ''test'' web page with great images and a story synopsis

Anyway, have fun reading if you're so inspired!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Commander

Showing love for Harcourt Fenton Mudd right here.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Ensign

"I, Mudd" is the first episode I have memories of. My cousin got me watching Trek when I was about 5 or 6 years old and this is probably the first episode I ever saw.
I always got my mom in a twist anytime I would answer a question with "I'm sorry, I'm not programed to respond in that area".

I love Mudd!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

I ve' always....hated MUDD and any episode he was in. It always seemd like a pointless episode...Like ferengi episodes or those stupid little stargate episodes when they introduce the funny looking overweight guy who's overly jolly.

I find those episodes so....pretencious.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Much love for the Mudd. "I, Mudd" is just a fun trip all the way through. That was a character that needed to be revived every season.

"Little?!"
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I ve' always....hated MUDD and any episode he was in. It always seemd like a pointless episode...Like ferengi episodes or those stupid little stargate episodes when they introduce the funny looking overweight guy who's overly jolly.

I find those episodes so....pretentious.
I can relate completely. As a kid waiting anxiously for 5PM to happen, having sat through re-runs of I Love Lucy and The Flintstones just to make sure I had the TV staked out for Star Trek at 5, there were a few episodes that were a real letdown for a kid -- from a kid's point of view of course. Two were definitely the Harry Mudd episodes.

Well, who would think years later that I'd end up exploring Harry Mudd in two of my Star Trek stories? Admittedly Mudd was much less a buffoon in ''Mudd's Women'' than the later episode. At least he seemed to be in charge of his destiny and was a bit more the space pirate. If he's treated as a much more complicated character he is quite engaging, with potential to ''change his ways.'' One can see the slightest hints of elements of a Rick Blaine or a Han Solo.

Following on this to some extent, the problem I had personally with many of the Star Trek ''aliens'' (heck, we're all aliens in space) throughout all the incarnations of Star Trek -- but especially in the TNG era -- is that they always seemed like ''humans in costumes'' -- with human characteristics, clichés etc. This ''human-like'' behavior combined with the ''budget conscious'' makeup, just turned them into cartoons. I know that's harsh on my part.

Anyway, Harry Mudd has a lot to offer as a realistic ''human'' character who can occasionally take us ''outside the Federation'' and into the shadowy corners of this mysterious Star Trek universe.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Ensign

i mudd was on this morning!
Spock: Perhaps the unfortunate accident I had as a child...
Kirk: The unfortunate accident he had as a child, he caught his head in a mechanical ... rice picker.