The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Forbidden Planet Remake?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Depends. I read about the Stracynski proposal a while back (in fact, a link to it is probably somewhere buried in an old thread here).

It was actually quite interesting IIRC.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm sure it is quite interesting. And it would probably make a good movie in its own right. However, Forbidden Planet is a great movie itself. One of, if not THE best sci-fi movie ever made (my personal opinion there). I just don't think it needs to be remade. There's necessity, then there's just plain "because its there". Remaking FP is not a necessity. They're talking about it simply because it's there and Hollywood is running out of original ideas so all they have left is screwing with established movies. And it's getting old. There are some movies, very few, that should be set aside as benchmark classics that are not to be "messed with". Forbidden Planet is one of those.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, that was why I was initially trying to discern if we were talking the JMS prequel or a literal remake.

However, I can see now that's not really the point here.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think that this movie demands either a remake or a prequel. The latter is even a worse idea in my opinion as the movie is fairly closed, nothing about it says "start of an epic saga".
I also think that there is something unprofessional about intentionally leaking information (the fellow also once had an idea to reboot TOS which he had to "publish"), it has a note of petty self-promotion.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Federation Councillor

On balance I would agree FP is fine as it is.

But I'm also not going to pretend that some of the story ideas and suggestions of the prequel weren't somewhat interesting. Of course, so were some of his ideas for a TOS TV reboot.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I'm sure it is quite interesting. And it would probably make a good movie in its own right. However, Forbidden Planet is a great movie itself. One of, if not THE best sci-fi movie ever made (my personal opinion there). I just don't think it needs to be remade. There's necessity, then there's just plain "because its there". Remaking FP is not a necessity. They're talking about it simply because it's there and Hollywood is running out of original ideas so all they have left is screwing with established movies. And it's getting old. There are some movies, very few, that should be set aside as benchmark classics that are not to be "messed with". Forbidden Planet is one of those.
I agree.
First and foremost, FP introduced a lot of now heavily used sci-fi concepts (hyperdrives and such), and a film remake would be completely wasted. FP was a pioneer film for science fiction. The CGI and such might be good in a remake, but the overall story and impact I think would be lost...especially from a historical standpoint.

Folks who had never seen the original FP would look at this new film, and likely consider it a rip-off of everything that had come before for them in recent memory.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I agree.
First and foremost, FP introduced a lot of now heavily used sci-fi concepts (hyperdrives and such), and a film remake would be completely wasted. FP was a pioneer film for science fiction. The CGI and such might be good in a remake, but the overall story and impact I think would be lost...especially from a historical standpoint.

Folks who had never seen the original FP would look at this new film, and likely consider it a rip-off of everything that had come before for them in recent memory.
Well said. I don't understand why anyone would want to remake FP in the first place. Like I said, it's just a case of Hollywood running out of new ideas and randomly picking old movies to "update" for a modern audience. The problem is, as you said, FP was a pioneering achievement in the sci-fi genre. The effects were on par with 2001 even though it was made 12 years earlier. And the ideas and themes from FP wouldn't translate intact for a modern audience. Now, if they remade it line-for-line and scene-for-scene like they did with Psycho a few years back, I'd probably give it a shot. But if they were to do a STXI-style remake, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 meter cattle prod. I'll be perfectly content watching my FP on DVD in the comfort of my own home.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thank you, Zim.

To be honest, even if the remake were to hit the theaters, I would likely go to see it just for the "big screen" experience, and I would be among the crowd that understood the significance of the original. It would be an interesting people study though....to see how the audience responds to the remake...especially the younger audience who may never have even seen (let alone heard of) the original.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Federation Councillor

This suddenly reminded me - does anyone have the Forbidden Planet Blu-Ray edition?

I was thinking about upgrading because I've read some good reviews about the quality of the film picture quality and it seems to have all the extras of my DVD special edition.........I was wondering if anyone here maybe had it already.

Or I might just upgrade anyway........can pretend it's faulty and take it back for a refund anyway if it's no better.

courtesy of Saquist