The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Forbidden Planet Remake?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Default Forbidden Planet Remake?

Okay. I just saw this: Clicky

My worst fears have been realized. Somebody is going to ruin Forbidden Planet. I was hoping and praying that this wonderful movie would never be remade. Forbidden Planet is my personal all-time favorite movie ever made. I love FP. It was a fantastic movie. And it does not need to be remade. There are some movies that can stand the test of time all on their own and should NEVER be remade, rebooted, remastered, or altered in any way, shape, or form. FP is one of those. The Day The Earth Stood Still is also on that list, but it got remade and ruined anyway. Hollywood just doesn't care. FP is a classic and should remain so. I am very unhappy and disgusted that some moron in Hollywood would even entertain the thought of altering this wonderful piece of cinematic history. Next thing you know, they'll be remaking Casablanca or Gone With The Wind. Will the madness never end?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

I agree. First the movie is fine as it is and not in need of the main thing a remake would provide, fancy CGI. Secondly it derives part of its charme from being a fifties movie with gadgets like a ship that looks like a flying saucer or an old-school robot.
The theme of the movie is also pure fifties/sixties. The Cage also has features this lovely sci-fi-ish treatment of psychoanalytical material and that's why a remake wouldn't work either.
If such themes reemerge naturally in the 21st century in science fiction I won't object but forcing it is bad, not to mention that it might get ignored or ruined in a remake.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Well said. If FP does indeed get remade, it will end up being "Forbidden Planet" in name only. Some of the themes of FP won't translate well to 21st century audiences. For example: a small ship with a crew of 19 males. Modern audiences would be more accustomed to seeing co-ed crews with females. Not to mention there were no minorities in FP. All the characters were white. In today's PC society, that wouldn't work either. The saucer shape of the C57-D is iconic. A remake would undoubtedly change the design to something more streamlined and modern. A remake would also invariably re-do Robbie the Robot. That would be a mistake. Robbie is a classic icon of 1950's sci-fi and shouldn't be altered in any way. And then there's the lovely Anne Francis... I don'tknow of any modern actress who could adequately repalce her as Altaira. And no modern actor could come close to Walter Pidgeon as Morbius. In short, I am horrified at the idea of anyone trying to update/remake this classic movie. Somebody needs to get a petition to whomever is trying to do this and beg them not to desecrate this classic movie. This whole thing just makes me sick.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't care about whether they'd keep the 19 white males or put some blacks and women in it but there is definitely something pseudo-progressive about the latter.

If it is really remade we don't have to watch it. I actually think that the folks who don't know the original are the ones who'd actually suffer. The first version of something usually sets the benchmark for, you get used it. For example your first exposure to Trek was TOS, my first exposure to Trek was TNG and this has a lasting effect.

I recently watched a Norwegian movie called Insomnia as well as the American remake which was fine but some idiosyncracies of the original got lost in "remake-ification". After all the purpose of a remake is often to erase the personal and weird notes of a movie and make it more mainstream accessible.
If I had watched Insomnia the other way around and first seen the remake I would have probably preferred it to the original and this might happen in the case of a remake of Forbidden Planet as well. Folks watch the smooth remake and if they check out the original afterwards they might perceive it as 'stupid and sooo 50s' in comparison.

So yeah, normally I welcome diversity but movies (or food) also influence your taste, you often like what you are used to.

This might also apply to Trek to a lesser degree. People who get into Trek via ST09 might be disappointed by the rest of the franchise as they expect something more wild and epic.

Last edited by horatio : 11-04-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I wouldn't care about whether they'd keep the 19 white males or put some blacks and women in it but there is definitely something pseudo-progressive about the latter.

If it is really remade we don't have to watch it. I actually think that the folks who don't know the original are the ones who'd actually suffer. The first version of something usually sets the benchmark for, you get used it. For example your first exposure to Trek was TOS, my first exposure to Trek was TNG and this has a lasting effect.

I recently watched a Norwegian movie called Insomnia as well as the American remake which was fine but some idiosyncracies of the original got lost in "remake-ification". After all the purpose of a remake is often to erase the personal and weird notes of a movie and make it more mainstream accessible.
If I had watched Insomnia the other way around and first seen the remake I would have probably preferred it to the original and this might happen in the case of a remake of Forbidden Planet as well. Folks watch the smooth remake and if they check out the original afterwards they might perceive it as 'stupid and sooo 50s' in comparison.

So yeah, normally I welcome diversity but movies (or food) also influence your taste, you often like what you are used to.

This might also apply to Trek to a lesser degree. People who get into Trek via ST09 might be disappointed by the rest of the franchise as they expect something more wild and epic.
HI,
Dropping out of Warp for a bit to say hello. I've been busy in grad school.

I suppose the same thing about watching the "Original" or "Remake" would sometimes apply to having read the novelization or book the movie is based on before seeing the movie. Many times the gaps or changes made in the movie to accommodate the screenplay alter the movie significantly from the book. Though I can understand the changes, many times I get thrown off by them, missing the parts I may have liked in the book.

Again...hello to everyone!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
HI,
Dropping out of Warp for a bit to say hello. I've been busy in grad school.

I suppose the same thing about watching the "Original" or "Remake" would sometimes apply to having read the novelization or book the movie is based on before seeing the movie. Many times the gaps or changes made in the movie to accommodate the screenplay alter the movie significantly from the book. Though I can understand the changes, many times I get thrown off by them, missing the parts I may have liked in the book.

Again...hello to everyone!

PS: Don't know if it is just by accident or by a conscious nod in design, but these two images: The first from FP, the second from The Cage, have a similar look though with different elements of composition, particularly the right hand side where the larger moon is. Another element in similarity is the placement of the ship in FP vs the "star" just to the left of the moon in the scene from The Cage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FP_Landing_1.jpg (28.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg The Cage_2.jpg (28.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Vice Admiral

If FP does get remade, I probably won't watch it. I made the mistake of watching the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and it was physically painful. That movie was such a piece of garbage compared to the original. And I'm afraid the same thing will happen with FP. 21st century Hollywood will utterly ruin one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.

Didn't GR take some inspiration for Star Trek from FP? I think I read that somewhere. And I can see it. The transporter pad on the Enterprise looks suspiciously similar to the "DC Stations" on the C57-D. And "United Federation Of Planets" sounds a lot like "United Planets". And there's the use of "hyperdrive", and many more elements. If it is ineed true, GR couldn't have found a better movie to inspire him.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Federation Councillor

They've been trying to remake this for years. It keeps cropping up every few years on the radar again.

However - is this a remake or is this the often 'discovered' treatment for the Strasynski prequel to Forbidden Planet? Because that actually sounds intriguing and JMS proved with Babylon 5 that sci-fi is something he can do well.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 11-04-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
PS: Don't know if it is just by accident or by a conscious nod in design, but these two images: The first from FP, the second from The Cage, have a similar look though with different elements of composition, particularly the right hand side where the larger moon is. Another element in similarity is the placement of the ship in FP vs the "star" just to the left of the moon in the scene from The Cage.
GR always stated Forbidden Planet was a heavy influence on him.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
They've been trying to remake this for years. It keeps cropping up every few years on the radar again.
The rumor seems to be a bit stronger this time. I've been hearing about this since about 2001. Thankfully, it always fades away. Hopefully it will this time too.