The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ST:XI warp drive FX
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Cool!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Captain

I like the picture, Zardoz.

The more I think about the warp drive the more I am convinced that a "realistic" effect would be absolutely amazing and fantastic. If I had any computer skills I would waste my time now with making a simulation.

A "realistic" warp effect would have to incorporate many different phenomenons.

First the thing Star Trek allways did wrong. When traveling faster then the light one can impossibly see stars when looking aftwards. Because the eye moves faster then the light the photons are not hitting the eye anymore. Looking aftwards one would see the most frightening black one ever saw. The absolute absence of light.

When looking forward though one would not only see the stars ahead, but also the stars behind. That is becaus one bumps into the photons send out by the stars behind. Imagine a highway where you see the cars(photons) coming from where you go while at the same time passing the cars that go your direction, but you drive faster then them.

Means, while one would not see any stars when looking backwards there would be the double ammount of stars when looking forwards.

When looking to the sides the stars would form long stripes in all rainbowcollours.

Now adding the space distortion of the warpfield we end up with a highly complex morphed universe. Imagine that the warpfield is also flowing. The morphing effect would be a highly dynamic thing.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Federation Councillor

TY BB.

But BB this is the Trek universe. It's supposed to have alot of SF elements. People, myself included, try to put science into entertainment.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
TY BB.

But BB this is the Trek universe. It's supposed to have alot of SF elements. People, myself included, try to put science into entertainment.
Agreed, Zardoz. But thats the point that I try to get through. A "realistic" warp effect would not be a swoosh, but it would still look amazing. Perhaps it would look much better. And it would be something we never saw in Sci-Fi before.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Possible, but I have doubts you'd get Paramount to agree to it....ROFL.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I like to think faster than light is possible. It seems feasible.
It's not really faster than light. You can't get to the speed of light (the whole mass gets grater so you need more fuel type deal)
Warp drive is bending space(and or time, depending on which physisit you listen to) so the distance you must travel is shorter or some such (again, this depends on what phisicist you pay attention to, and what year it was said. The guy who wrote "The Phycics of star Trek" is the one I pay most attention to! If the book was in frount of me, I'd give you his name....wait till I get off work, I post here later!!) So yeah.
Reaching the speed of light=Impossibe
Going faster than the speed of light=Impossible unless you cheat!!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_bubba View Post
It's not really faster than light. You can't get to the speed of light (the whole mass gets grater so you need more fuel type deal)
Warp drive is bending space(and or time, depending on which physisit you listen to) so the distance you must travel is shorter or some such (again, this depends on what phisicist you pay attention to, and what year it was said. . .
Actually, you're right about warp drive not being faster than light. Technically, a ship at warp would have a speed of zero.

This is because warp drive creates a bubble of normal space around the ship, which does not move relative to the bubble. At the same time, it either (accoriding to Star Trek) bends the outside space around the bubble or (according to Miguel Alcubierre, the Mexican physicist who first proposed such a drive in 1945), destroys spacetime in front of the ship while creating more spacetime behind the ship. Either way, when the drive is disengaged and the bubble "pops," the ship winds up in a new location.

Of course, emlscs and I have already had this discussion at length. . . .
Old 03-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlue98 View Post
Actually, you're right about warp drive not being faster than light. Technically, a ship at warp would have a speed of zero.

This is because warp drive creates a bubble of normal space around the ship, which does not move relative to the bubble. At the same time, it either (accoriding to Star Trek) bends the outside space around the bubble or (according to Miguel Alcubierre, the Mexican physicist who first proposed such a drive in 1945), destroys spacetime in front of the ship while creating more spacetime behind the ship. Either way, when the drive is disengaged and the bubble "pops," the ship winds up in a new location.

Of course, emlscs and I have already had this discussion at length. . . .
Yeah , that kind of stuff. And the guy I was talking about is Lawrence M. Krauss! Thats they guy I go by! But yeah, same basic stuff..
Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_bubba View Post
Warp drive is bending space(and or time, depending on which physisit you listen to) so the distance you must travel is shorter or some such (again, this depends on what phisicist you pay attention to, and what year it was said. The guy who wrote "The Phycics of star Trek" is the one I pay most attention to! If the book was in frount of me, I'd give you his name....wait till I get off work, I post here later!!) So yeah.
Reaching the speed of light=Impossibe
Going faster than the speed of light=Impossible unless you cheat!!
Yes, I'm quite aware of Einsteinian physics.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Some very intersting theroies folks!