The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Did the Guardian cement the Kirk/Spock/McCoy friendship?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Funnily enough, another episode that aired after 'City on the Edge of Forever'.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
The **sigh** made me LOL Eliza. Actresses in sprayed on catsuits do it for me but a tech-strewn bed....kinky!
The sigh is more for "So....there are two of them and one twin bed....."

Kevin, I really like this topic and I hope you start more like this one. Discussing the original series is one of my favorite things to do.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
The sigh is more for "So....there are two of them and one twin bed....."
Funny how it seems to obvious to some and for others, it sails right past.

I like the idea of rolling around on a tech-strewn bed also tho. Ow there's a vacuum tube stuck in my back

Looking back over the season 1 episodes, you can see a buildup of trust and friendship.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I've been watching a lot of TOS again and it's been bringing up a lot of questions as it's been a good while since I saw them in detail.

Anyway, when TOS starts off we see Kirk/Spock and McCoy all serving on the ship and they are clearly comrades and friends - but the bantering is relatively humorous and the kind you often get at work.

I didn't get the full sense of the depth of the friendship until I watched 'The City on the Edge of Forever'.

Here, Kirk and Spock must go on that rescue mission to save McCoy and in the pursuit of that they spend more time together alone than we've seen them before, you really start to see them bond closely - not as officers, but as individuals who have to struggle to get by in a small room. Kirk is also falling in love and Spock has to break to him the news of Edith's fate. Not only is Edith's fate something that the Captain must endure, he must endure it at the same time as finding McCoy.

Even Spock and McCoy have a moment unlike any they've shared in the past - when McCoy struggles against Kirk and demands to know why Kirk did what he did, with Spock's simple 'He knows' being the only answer he can give.

I don't know - I may be rambling here - but this is the episode where I feel the experiences the three men were forced to go through in this episode to get home and prevent disaster in the future, is what truly bonded them beyond being shipmates but into the life-long friends that we see in the remainder of Star Trek.

Anyone else's thoughts?
I agree on that 100%. I think this episode does stregthen there friendship between the three. We know they were friends before this but going through the experances of the Gurdain does make there friendship stronger.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Vice Admiral

Smile

I think City on the edge of forever is the best it is very intelligent,moving I especially wouldn't like to see this one remade

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy