The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek sequel
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
That's kind of how I envision it, a group of Vulcans who blame the Federation and reject logic.
Not mindless revenge freaks mind you, I think there is a way to balance pacing and depth in a film. There's lots of good stuff you could do with this.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Vice Admiral

it also needs substance to keep the hard core fans if the writers even know what that means

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 08-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
it also needs substance to keep the hard core fans if the writers even know what that means
You know what they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time

Old 08-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Vice Admiral

exactly

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
That's kind of how I envision it, a group of Vulcans who blame the Federation and reject logic.
They might not reject Surak's logic but rather Surak's pacifism. Why care about all this suppression business when your home was just destroyed.
As we have just seen four types of Vulcans, orthodox ones, Romulans (reject pacifism), Sybok and similar Vulcans from "Fusion" (try to suppress just bad emotions but fail) and the elderly Spock (who unlike his half-brother succeeded) it might be interesting to see Romulan-like Vulcans or as you said Vulcans who also reject logic ... which sounds like a bunch of dangerous savages.
Categorizing them via their attitude towards violence / emotional suppression and logic is quite dry and technical, Vulcans are of course more complex.

It might be just my impression but I think that the team wants to just treat the Vulcans as survivors who want to quietly and peacefully rebuild their society in a new place with the help of NimoySpock and thus out of the focus of future stories.

Last edited by horatio : 08-29-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Vice Admiral

so what you are saying is that they in the sequel have it just focus on rebuilding a new home for the surviving vulcans. just wondering

Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

I just guess, based upon the scene with Nimoy and Quinto, NimoySpock's presence in the Vulcan elite and Nimoy's retirement, that anything concerning the Vulcan diaspora will happen off-screen.
But as QuintoSpock seems to have seriously considered to quit Starfleet and work with and for his people it might be possible that they connect a hypothetical story about Vulcans with the main cast via Spock who is torn between Starfleet and NeoVulcan.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
They might not reject Surak's logic but rather Surak's pacifism. Why care about all this suppression business when your home was just destroyed.
As we have just seen four types of Vulcans, orthodox ones, Romulans (reject pacifism), Sybok and similar Vulcans from "Fusion" (try to suppress just bad emotions but fail) and the elderly Spock (who unlike his half-brother succeeded) it might be interesting to see Romulan-like Vulcans or as you said Vulcans who also reject logic ... which sounds like a bunch of dangerous savages.
Categorizing them via their attitude towards violence / emotional suppression and logic is quite dry and technical, Vulcans are of course more complex.

It might be just my impression but I think that the team wants to just treat the Vulcans as survivors who want to quietly and peacefully rebuild their society in a new place with the help of NimoySpock and thus out of the focus of future stories.
Oh, we probably won't hear anything about them, maybe a mention in passing.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

If they wanna stay in fanboyish waters a Vulcan story would be the natural successor to ST09 and it would be in my opinion preferable to e.g. a Klingon story.
It would also do the trick if they want to recreate the loose trilogy aspect of TWOK-TSFS-TVH.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Vice Admiral

that sounds most likely but will that be the next film's storyline