The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Star Wars prequels
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Default Star Wars prequels

Explain why you hate the Star Wars prequel films

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
Explain why you hate the Star Wars prequel films
Why? They were OK, I suppose, but just did not have the "pop" that "IV" had when first released. That movie was a FX quantum leap over pretty much everything else that had been done up to that point. After "V", "VI", with everyone else seemingly repeating the "formula"...even though the FX were "cleaner" due to better digital storage and manipulation, there was just not that "pop" with the prequels on a visual basis.
I think that the "Jedi Mystique" would have been better served not going into the politics involved in entering and remaining in the order and had just been a visual revelation as exhibited through the "jumps" in skill and control that Luke exhibited through each movie. Yoda got to explain a few things to Luke that Obiwan did not have time to and that was about all I thought was needed to keep the "mystique" just that.
The way that I understood the original "IV" was "The force chose who it chose" and the individual was held responsible for their actions, good or bad, within its influence. Being born with "it" and having to go through a panel to allow training, as in "I" with Anakin, was what broke the mystique for me.

You asked!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't hate them.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Everything.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

The big thing Lucas fumbled with was that he forgot that his fans of the original movies were now some 25-30 years older. He needed to make a more mature story for the first prequel....I think that would've erased a lot of the stigma that followed for the other prequels.

While I like Jar Jar Binks, he was NOT a necessary character.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The big thing Lucas fumbled with was that he forgot that his fans of the original movies were now some 25-30 years older.
That was my first thoughts on TPM way back in 1999 as well, but then over the years I realised that Lucas just doesn't really make films for adults. He never really has. He's always wanted to make films for kids.

Once I realised that, I kinda figured the kids who had grown up inbetween probably weren't foremost on his mind, because he was thinking about the kids who were kids in '99.

Quote:
He needed to make a more mature story for the first prequel....I think that would've erased a lot of the stigma that followed for the other prequels.
Though overall I don't think they're the worst films ever made, but they do pale a bit compared to the first three (or last three, depending on how you want to look at it!).

These days I think the biggest factor hampering TPM at least was the 16 year gap. TPM was about sowing the seeds for the payoffs in the later two films, and as such there was a lot of things happening that were again in the vein of setting the stage for later and for the most part I think people were not very interested in that and were just waiting for the lightsaber fights and space battles.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
The way that I understood the original "IV" was "The force chose who it chose" and the individual was held responsible for their actions, good or bad, within its influence. Being born with "it" and having to go through a panel to allow training, as in "I" with Anakin, was what broke the mystique for me.
As I understand it, that was to counter the Jedi-religion thing that had crept up in the intervening years. So, along came Midichlorians in the blood count!

Personally, I think it's a little worrying that some people put 'Jedi' on census forms as their religion but I suppose to each their own. I once - a few years back, through my work - encountered someone who had legally their name to 'Darth Vader'. Whether it was a serious long-term name change or not, I will never know.

The training on the other hand, actually made a lot of sense. As an order, perhaps rooted in some of Earth history we know that lifelong training, discipline, practice, mental and physical order etc all are of key importance in the lives of the people within it.

As the Jedi were such a group, these elements (personally) made a lot of sense.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post
Everything.
Absolutely Everything.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Admiral

My main problem with the new movies is that the sense of comradery was completely lost. The dynamic of Luke, Han, Chewie and Leia you never had at all in the new movies. That sense of adventure and friends sharing in adventure was gone. It took itself too seriously if you ask me. The new trilogy had it's moments but I never connected with it like I did the original. In fact the only characters I remotely connected with in the new trilogy were Liam Neeson and the Emperor. I'm not joking, after Quai Gon was killed the most human character to me was the emperor. Everyone else were statues. So lofty they seemed as though shat marble as Mozart once said.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, the second trilogy was a significant reversal away from a smaller personal story (Luke's destiny stuff) set against the backdrop of a Galactic Power to a Galactic Power story (the major story in the prequels is more the engineering of the fall of the Republic) with the personal Anakin story serving as the backdrop.

courtesy of Saquist