The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > My tour of Paramount Pictures...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default My tour of Paramount Pictures...

Last year, when my wife began to plan a trip to Malibu/Santa Barbara for the summer of 2010, she asked me at some point what I wanted to do.
Knowing that we'd be landing at LAX and spending at least some of the trip in LA, I told her I wanted to take a tour of "Paramount Pictures".
Just last week, we both took a week of summer vacation from our jobs and made our way out west (we live in hot Tampa).
Landing in LAX on Monday and soon at UCLA, I saw some funny, cool "Star Trek" t-shirts in the UCLA Student store. Later that afternoon, we took the long walk down the Walk of Fame and I had my photo taken next to Bill Shatner's star and sat down in front of the "Star Trek VI" cast autographs out in front of Grauman's Chinese. We also found the coolest Hollywood bookstore that had every movie poster imaginable plus just about every book ever written about Hollywood and its stars.
Tuesday was the Paramount trip and it was just a wonderful trip. The 2 fellows who guided me, my wife and 5 others throughout the entire Paramount lot were a lot of fun and super knowledgable. I've been following "Star Trek" and Hollywood news since the early 70's and those 2 tour guides taught me a thing or two along the way. Who knew that "Soul Train" was filmed on the backlot of Paramount Studios ?
Who knew that the famous "Marble Rye" episode of "Seinfeld" was also filmed on the famed Paramount back lot ?
It was a wonderful Sunny yet cool day and I got to be in a place where the magic of "Star Trek" was created and the future of "Star Trek" will percolate again, hopefully over the next couple of decades.
If a tour of "Paramount Pictures" isn't in your future, maybe you should question if you are indeed a "Star Trek" fan !
Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Very cool.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
Last year, when my wife began to plan a trip to Malibu/Santa Barbara for the summer of 2010, she asked me at some point what I wanted to do.
Knowing that we'd be landing at LAX and spending at least some of the trip in LA, I told her I wanted to take a tour of "Paramount Pictures".
Just last week, we both took a week of summer vacation from our jobs and made our way out west (we live in hot Tampa).
Landing in LAX on Monday and soon at UCLA, I saw some funny, cool "Star Trek" t-shirts in the UCLA Student store. Later that afternoon, we took the long walk down the Walk of Fame and I had my photo taken next to Bill Shatner's star and sat down in front of the "Star Trek VI" cast autographs out in front of Grauman's Chinese. We also found the coolest Hollywood bookstore that had every movie poster imaginable plus just about every book ever written about Hollywood and its stars.
Tuesday was the Paramount trip and it was just a wonderful trip. The 2 fellows who guided me, my wife and 5 others throughout the entire Paramount lot were a lot of fun and super knowledgable. I've been following "Star Trek" and Hollywood news since the early 70's and those 2 tour guides taught me a thing or two along the way. Who knew that "Soul Train" was filmed on the backlot of Paramount Studios ?
Who knew that the famous "Marble Rye" episode of "Seinfeld" was also filmed on the famed Paramount back lot ?
It was a wonderful Sunny yet cool day and I got to be in a place where the magic of "Star Trek" was created and the future of "Star Trek" will percolate again, hopefully over the next couple of decades.
If a tour of "Paramount Pictures" isn't in your future, maybe you should question if you are indeed a "Star Trek" fan !
Maybe it's just the part of the country I'm in, but, a "Paramount" studio tour is not generally known of. I guess that the "Universal" studio tour has overshadowed it as far as promotion. I could appreciate the smaller guide to group ratio that Paramount offers though. Was the tour on an open vehicle and did you get to walk onto the "sets"?
Where I live, in Huntsville, one can visit and walk on the locations where some of the earliest tests of modern rocketry (1950's - present) were made and continue. It's quite impressive to be able to stand beside a restored Saturn V - Apollo stack.

It easily dwarfs the Shuttle and its launcher display which is located a short distance from it. That shuttle is still a fine looking ship though!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Such tours were also available in 1998.

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 07-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
Maybe it's just the part of the country I'm in, but, a "Paramount" studio tour is not generally known of. I guess that the "Universal" studio tour has overshadowed it as far as promotion. I could appreciate the smaller guide to group ratio that Paramount offers though. Was the tour on an open vehicle and did you get to walk onto the "sets"?
Where I live, in Huntsville, one can visit and walk on the locations where some of the earliest tests of modern rocketry (1950's - present) were made and continue. It's quite impressive to be able to stand beside a restored Saturn V - Apollo stack.

It easily dwarfs the Shuttle and its launcher display which is located a short distance from it. That shuttle is still a fine looking ship though!
I went to Huntsville many years ago when I was still in CAP...they had a Skylab fuel tank that had survived re-entry there, everyone was snapping pieces of the fiberglass off of it.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Cool trip - but I won't be anywhere near California for a while yet!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Future Guy...You get into a Super big open air golf card type thing and they take you around the studio and yes, you do get to go into stages. We actually got to go onto the primary stage/set for NBC's "Community" starring Joel McHale and Chevy Chase. We actually saw Joel walk onto the set which they were just prepping after being out of production for a couple of months for Summer break.

We also got to see them prep a scene for a Nickelodeon program.

All in all, it was a very entertaining and informative day.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I never knew Paramount allowed tours. Darn! I would have been on that in a nano-second.

My hubby and I went on the Warner Bros. tour while they were filming "Bladerunner" - way back when. Unfortunately, all we got to see was Harrison Ford's trailer (I wanted to knock at the door just in case but was pulled away at the last moment), the mock up city street (which was huge!) and Darrel Hannah (in full makeup) having lunch in the studio cafeteria.

Those studio tours are great but if you can sneak away and just stroll down between the stages, you never know what you may find when you turn the corner...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

I saw a door from Voyager and a Jem'Hadar extra back then.

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-