The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > If TOS Had Remained on TV For At Least a 5 Years (seasons) or more of Missions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Commander

Default If TOS Had Remained on TV For At Least a 5 Years (seasons) or more of Missions

If the original series had remained on beyond the 3 seasons it was given, would there have been any major or minor cast modifications, changes or replacements? There were some character changes in TNG that may or may not have been seen as major, but the roster of characters did shift and have time to mature, bringing modifications to the crew compliment and some of the episodes.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think a lot of it would depend on who was producing the show. Fred Freiberger (hopefully spelled correctly) was in charge of year 3 and Roddenberry seemed to lose interest in really being active in the day to day production. Had the show miraculously improved in the ratings, there could have been a year 4, but being that "Star Trek" seemed to slide in the ratings with each passing year, there was really no good reason for NBC to even consider bringing it back.
I think for the show to really return to the greatness of years 1 and 2, they would need Gene Coon to come back or someone like him who could write great stories and do more thoughtful, personal stories.
Don't get me wrong. I think there were some wonderful Season 3 segments. Its just that they were vastly outnumbered by the very mediocre/poor episodes.
As the 3rd season played out, we saw Chekov get a bigger role. We saw Sulu return to a more prominent position (as he missed some of the 2nd year shows due to filming "The Green Berets"), and even Uhura and Nurse Chapel had their moments in the sun.
No offense to the supporting cast, but the show really shined when the 3 major characters were the focus. This was true throughout the series and especially in the better season 3 shows like "The Empath" and "Requiem for Methusalah".
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Lieutenant

I read that moving from a 7 day shoot to a 5.5 day shoot was what led to the drop in quality of the later shows. I also think that as episodic TV with no ongoing plot threads, it isn't easy to see how they could have kept the ball bouncing with fresh ideas for two more years when we see some themes repeated already in the seasons we have.

It's different strokes for different folks too. I love the big three but I dislike episodes that feature only them heavily. I like other characters to bounce off them too so the Empath is not that high on my list of favourites.

Phase II was going to introduce some new characters like Decker, Ilia, and Xon. If they'd been able to re-use guest stars like the Kor, Kang, and Koloth, the female Romulan commander, or Dr Ann Mulhall to pad out stories and give us more characters to watch, it might have worked. The return of Rand would have improved things for me too.