The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Who else thinks Star Trek II is the best Star Trek movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post
I saw them at the Birmingham NIA and Cardiff Millennium Stadium; and on both occasions thought they were freaking awesome. Although it was of course a nostalgia tour, the band were electric (not just in the instrumentation sense) and joyously ripped through the old classics with genuine verve and oustanding fresh arrangements. Even if you don't like the band much, I'm very surprised to hear anyone describe a Police gig as sucking; unless they had a REALLY bad "off night". The tour was far and away the highest grossing from a couple of years back and generally picked up excellent reviews. I'll never forget walking out of the Millennium stadium amongst a sea of 80,000 odd Police fans. But each to their own; I respect your opinion.
I feel bad saying it. I had a brilliant night and despite Andy Summers sounding a bit off during his solos, the band played brilliantly. My main problem was the PA and video screen. I was way up the back and couldn't see a thing and mainly heard slap-back echo. I just think at £70 a ticket more money could've been invested towards the 'cheap seats'.

I had the 80,000 fans experience myself and loved it. My house was just up from the stadium so we spend some good time milling around at the end of my road soaking it up.

Just wish I could've been at the Whiskey a Go Go...!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by therichieboy View Post
I feel bad saying it. I had a brilliant night and despite Andy Summers sounding a bit off during his solos, the band played brilliantly. My main problem was the PA and video screen. I was way up the back and couldn't see a thing and mainly heard slap-back echo. I just think at £70 a ticket more money could've been invested towards the 'cheap seats'.

I had the 80,000 fans experience myself and loved it. My house was just up from the stadium so we spend some good time milling around at the end of my road soaking it up.

Just wish I could've been at the Whiskey a Go Go...!
Hope the OP doesn't mind; we seem to be usurping this thread into a music forum, therichieboy! But I know what you mean about the slap echo, as well as being a constant scurge to me in my home cinema system, it has always been a problem at stadium shows. I've always preferred smaller arena's for that reason - certainly, the NIA was far superior sonically than The Millennium Stadium with The Police concerts. I think if you go to a stadium gig, you have to accept it's not going to sound as good, but it does have that sort of epic feel with all the tens of thousands of people as we've discussed. You should pick up the "Certified" Blu-ray/2 CD set by the way, an excellent document of the tour with a superb documentary to boot.

The Whiskey would've been amazing for sure, a true spiritual mecca of rock music.

www.thepolice.com
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post
Hope the OP doesn't mind; we seem to be usurping this thread into a music forum, therichieboy! But I know what you mean about the slap echo, as well as being a constant scurge to me in my home cinema system, it has always been a problem at stadium shows. I've always preferred smaller arena's for that reason - certainly, the NIA was far superior sonically than The Millennium Stadium with The Police concerts. I think if you go to a stadium gig, you have to accept it's not going to sound as good, but it does have that sort of epic feel with all the tens of thousands of people as we've discussed. You should pick up the "Certified" Blu-ray/2 CD set by the way, an excellent document of the tour with a superb documentary to boot.

The Whiskey would've been amazing for sure, a true spiritual mecca of rock music.
I hear you loud and clear. I've ummed and ahhed about Certified but I'm glad to have your recommendation- I'll give it a go as soon as a get a Blu Ray!

SORRY OP!!!! Star Trek II (and III) had my favourite soundtrack followed by VI.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Vice Admiral

don't worry about it I don't need a apology talk away

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Vice Admiral

The Wrath of Khan is a sequel to Space Seed do you think there are similarities between them.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
The Wrath of Khan is a sequel to Space Seed do you think there are similarities between them.
I do not know what you mean by that statement.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Saavik being a half Romulan explains her quite emotional (for a Vulcan) behaviour.
Vulcan's moon or sister planet seems to be pretty irrelevant. Perhaps there is one and they cloak it for fun from time to time. You gotta play some silly games, even when you are Vulcan.
Maybe Vulcan can just see and be seen by planets lightyears away by virtue of a massive lens in space, would explain why Prime Spock can see it exploding from Delta Vega!

Quote:
If you mean plot wise I don't think so, In Space Seed there was debate about the pros/cons of being genetically engineered and the initial hospitality showed between the crew of the Enterprise and the Botany Bay crew. Whereas in TWOK it was all Moby Dick and the theme of Kirk feeling old, so for me the similarities end with Kahn being in it.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
The Undiscovered Country is my favorite.
Here, here!

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable