The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > No security at Khitomer?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Commander

While I'm thinking about it...
What about Regula I? A really top-secret project and no top-notch security team there?
Did Khan "surprise" them as he did Kirk and company?

And also...
ST First Contact...Pikard knew of the strong possibility of the Borg beaming onto the "E" undetected and did not put security on alert as they were going through the time portal?

Still both movies were written to fit the time allowed and both were great movies! Extra details would make each movie released into a "Lord of the Rings" type trilogy and we would be commenting on "ST 33" by now.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:46 AM
Federation Councillor

So many things to think about in Trek films!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
So many things to think about in Trek films!
Maybe the writers should "story board" any new Trek movies among some select, confidential, Trek fans. Sort of a "Beta Test" before final script draft that would allow some "outside eyes" to at least recommend any possible fixes even if they were ignored. (In a perfect ST world...!)
Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureguy View Post
While I'm thinking about it...
What about Regula I? A really top-secret project and no top-notch security team there?
Did Khan "surprise" them as he did Kirk and company?

And also...
ST First Contact...Pikard knew of the strong possibility of the Borg beaming onto the "E" undetected and did not put security on alert as they were going through the time portal?

Still both movies were written to fit the time allowed and both were great movies! Extra details would make each movie released into a "Lord of the Rings" type trilogy and we would be commenting on "ST 33" by now.
The main thing about Regula I is exactly how many people were even aware of the project's existence let alone what its purpose was. It Regula I needed minimal support from the outside, then you can keep the need for heavy security detachments to a minimum. If you've got major military activity out in a remote area of space, then you're just screaming that you've got something going on there. Having a simple research lab out in the middle of nowhere can more easily shielded with a cover story. Just as how Dr. Ballard's Titanic expedition was used as a cover story by the US Navy to go and survey the wrecks of the nuclear subs Thresher and Scorpion. Of course, to the horror of the Navy, Ballard ended up discovering the Titanic and the expedition got lots of media attention. However, despite the media attention the military purpose of the expedition remained largely secret till it was declassified recently. The problem with putting heavily armed security teams is that you inevitably have to inform more people about the existence of a particular site. True we have tons of marines at our trident sub bases, but quite frankly the fact that the sub base is there and the subs are there and the nukes are there isn't exactly a state secret. There's a lot of classified stuff there, but the fact that its there is hardly a secret, where as the existence of Genesis wasn't exactly common knowledge.

Also when you consider that Genesis was not a project that Star Fleet came up with, but rather a project proposed to the Federation by scientists who weren't Star Fleet, another way to keep from drawing attention to Regula is to keep the Star Fleet presence at Regula to a minimum. The occasional presence of a Star Fleet ship probably wouldn't be suspicious and could easily pass as a routine patrol, supply/personnel transfer etc. The use of the Corps of Engineers shouldn't be too unusual either. Historically military engineering corps do civic jobs all the time in one form or another. So Khan was really one of those wild cards that pop up occasionally. The real security concern for Genesis is the Klingon spy.

As for First Contact, there's always something that we call "gundecking". Especially when a ship is in port, you're going to have a security watch. The purpose of the security watch is to make rounds of all the ship's compartments and spaces. Intruders aren't necessarily the main thing you'd looking for but they were certainly among the things you'd be looking for. When on security watch, there is a log that you must maintain. That log also contains a list of things you need to check on. For example, you will need to check the gauges on the refrigeration unit and record the readings on the gauges in the log as well as the time. You'll probably also need to check the compartments in the bilges of the ship, etc. When on security watches, log entries tend to become extremely repetitive. This monotony in some cases leads to what's called "gundecking" or falsifying log entries. It shouldn't happen but it does. People are supposed to make their security rounds. They get tired of it, and they just end up making entries that they did the round when in fact they really didn't. I've heard plenty of stories of outstanding crewmen who's careers go down the drain because they gundecked a log. In a few cases, the offense wasn't even detected until something went wrong on the ship.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Federation Councillor

I would tend to agree about Regula.

To heavily guard it with patrols of starships and military would only serve to draw attention to what was supposed to be getting kept low key.

Plus we know from other episodes that science stations exist throughout the Federation and we don't know how far inside Federation space Regula 1 actually was. It might have been relatively far away from anywhere else important but it doesn't mean that it was near a border/frontier either.

courtesy of Saquist