The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > iNcEpTiOn
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Federation Councillor

I admired Inception and it's intentions, however it's not a film I'm ever going to 'love'. As mind-twisters go it's ok but not really as grandly original as I was lead to believe going in. Unfortunately I think Nolan has been so busy working on the mind-twister side of the story that he's been sitting on that he forgot to craft characters that I (and others going by some of the reviews I've read) could actually care about.

Which is not to say I didn't like it - it gets the brain gears moving, it invites discussion and it will for years to come. That's hardly ever a bad thing. And I'll go and see it again soon to see what happens on reviewing it with knowledge of the whole thing.

The upshot being that (no spoilers - but much of the discussion subsequent to people viewing the film is around the meaning (or meanings) of the whole film implied by the final scene) when I don't have a good reason to actually care which of the main options it might be the film has failed.

Now, I know already that I'm going to be in the minority on this movie because I shall be in the side of appreciating it technically but not thinking it's actually quite as good as the majority will claim it is - or rather, are already claiming it is on the wider web amongst reviewers both professional and armchair.

The Matrix comparison is probably not entirely unfounded - but then again, I think The Matrix movies suck and have done since 1999 so.........

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I admired Inception and it's intentions, however it's not a film I'm ever going to 'love'. As mind-twisters go it's ok but not really as grandly original as I was lead to believe going in. Unfortunately I think Nolan has been so busy working on the mind-twister side of the story that he's been sitting on that he forgot to craft characters that I (and others going by some of the reviews I've read) could actually care about.

Which is not to say I didn't like it - it gets the brain gears moving, it invites discussion and it will for years to come. That's hardly ever a bad thing. And I'll go and see it again soon to see what happens on reviewing it with knowledge of the whole thing.

The upshot being that (no spoilers - but much of the discussion subsequent to people viewing the film is around the meaning (or meanings) of the whole film implied by the final scene) when I don't have a good reason to actually care which of the main options it might be the film has failed.

Now, I know already that I'm going to be in the minority on this movie because I shall be in the side of appreciating it technically but not thinking it's actually quite as good as the majority will claim it is - or rather, are already claiming it is on the wider web amongst reviewers both professional and armchair.

The Matrix comparison is probably not entirely unfounded - but then again, I think The Matrix movies suck and have done since 1999 so.........
Although I've not seen the film yet, I get the sense that the lack of originality stems from the notion that there was another movie (years ago) that sort of dealt with this thing.....a movie starring Dennis Quaid, Max Von Sydow, Kate Capshaw and David Patrick Kelley called "DreamScape". It was a pretty cool flick for its time.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Federation Councillor

I've heard of that film but I don't think I've ever seen it.

No big spoilers but just in case anyone who hasn't seen it yet doesn't want to know some of the other possible influences I felt were present

It's from that perspective that I don't find it wildly original - but then such ideas have never been bolted onto an action filled heist movie so that is a slightly different variation on the theme. Which helps to add some blockbuster-y goodness to the film.

I believe Nolan himself has also stated pre-release that he was influenced by The Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor and James Bond also.

I imagine Bond enters the equation in the action side and that would certainly seem the case with one of the action sequences of the finale.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 07-21-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:

Well, I agree with you on the lack of character development but I've got to say I totally disagree on you about the Matrix. That is one of my favorite film series and I believe a great deal was taken from that film, along with Nolan's previous movie Memento. There is a little bit of everything in this film. I will have to see it again in order to fully understand it, but I will certainty see it again when time permits.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Don't worry - I'm well aware I'm in the minority on The Matrix movies but I'm quite happy with that.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Rear Admiral

It's always good to voice your opinions nonetheless.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, why not I say! Having a different opinion about a movie hurts no-one in the long run anyway.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Brace yourself....I agree.
I admire the Inception concept and intentions. I don't think it was intending to to work a mind twisting story style. In fact I know that wasn't his intention the editing is too perfect. He doesn't resort to the standard rapid sucession scene cuts like in the crux of Prestige or like the Movie Minority report. He's not trying to confuse you...he's creating a multilayered drama that works in sync.

That being said I wasn't impressed. It was good...but not impressive. Is it me or have wee seeen this in Star Trek done better? TNG Frame of Mind. But in that episode they were trying to create a mystery, Inception isn't a mystery.

Quote:
I also agree.
Quote:
I had the same reaction almost exactly.

Quote:
It's not entirely unfounded but the Matix clearly did it far better. The Matrix intro was gradual, weird and mysterious. There was a creative depiction between the green Matrix and the Blue real World. Frankly Matrix was technically the perfect movie with one small glaring flaw...That people die when dying in the Matrix. But the Brothers needed a sense of peril in the movie and it was the only way to do it.

Inception counters that wonderfully but the movie wasn't SURREAL like a dream....even though the Matrix was merely a program reality. In Inception one couldn't truly control the dream in the SURREAL way that you could in Matrix. The movie was grounded in reality and the problem is that dreams are frequently SURREAL and most people report abstract dreaming sostrange things happening shouldn't attract the attention of the subconcious (I'm just picking but it didn't seem right to me..

The movie was very straight forward.
It shouldn't confuse you if you're paying attention at all.

What I love about the movie WHAT THAT SHINZON CAN ACTUALLY ACT!!!!!! (Which is quite the revelation for me.)

Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Well, why not I say! Having a different opinion about a movie hurts no-one in the long run anyway.
(sniffles) How.....how can you be so......so insensitive!!???!!

WAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(runs out of the room)

Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
(sniffles) How.....how can you be so......so insensitive!!???!!

WAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(runs out of the room)

(follows to the door and opens to reveal the figure on the distant horizon beyond)........

'Martok..................come back!! Come Back!!!

courtesy of Saquist