The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Saavik informing Kirk on David's Death
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgeekscott View Post
OK, Now, I really didn't see any need for Saavik to even be in IV. She was still in uniform, which would tell me she was still in Starfleet. Shouldn't she have been reassigned somewhere? She didn't commit any crime. Perhaps she was posted on Vulcan or something.

But that does raise other questions about that film. Kirk et al were all on a federation world. They had commited crimes against the federation...why didn't starfleet arrest them 9 months earlier? Extradition shouldn't have been an issue. It would be like extraditing someone from Wisconsin to Minnesota. The only thing I can figure is Sarek made it possible for them to stay unarrested. But that wouldn't seem too logical for the eminently logical Sarek.
Sarek said himself that his logic was questionable when it came to his son. He also said Spock's friends were "people of good character." So, gaining sympathy from Sarek was understood. I mean, Kirk did a lot to save Spock's life.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 04-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah, you know what i hated? During the TOS era movies none of the female vulcans were very...vulcan. Remember T'Pring in Amok Time? Damn, she was like Miss Ice B*tch, but then in the movies Saavik and Valeris were both really soft and weak and caring. Seems a little human to me and illogical.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Rear Admiral

Speaking of Saavik, I'm reading the new novel by Margarete Wander Bonanno called Unspoken Truth, which focuses on Saavik after she is left behind by the the H.M.S. Bounty on its way to Earth to face the charges for stealing the Enterprise. I'm glad someone put focus on Saavik, rather than just leave her standing with Amanda on Vulcan; canon or not.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Commander

Canon is quite hazy round Saavik on quite a few issues, is she ever pregnant with Spock's baby? I know the writers wanted Valeris to be the Saavik character I could've seen that fitting with her being half Romulan and so prone to make decisions Vulcan's wouldn't make, though that fact also isn't strictly canon either...
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Rear Admiral

I'm currently reading Star Trek: Unspoken Truth and even though it's not canon, it does provide an awesome gap after she is left behind on Vulcan while the crew heads over to face charges on Earth in 2286.

Fans Expendable
Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Rear Admiral

As for the reason why she tells Kirk again about the death of David, I guess she wanted to tell him face to face as opposed to just on the communicator. But, she didn't need to tell him again, I mean I think he got the hint. Just look at him right before Spock walks onto the Klingon bridge. He looks to the side and is like, "Come on! Why did you have to tell me again?!" lol

Fans Expendable
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Commander

I really need to see both movies again. It's been so long that one dialog about David's death keeps getting blurred with the others. I remember she simply tells Kirk that David was dead on the communicator. But I remember at some point, she tells Kirk that David gave his life to save her and Spock. However, I don't remember if she tells him that after Kirk arrives at the camp site on Genesis or if she does so in STIV. I have a distinct impression that it was on the camp site but I don't remember.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula2ssn View Post
I really need to see both movies again. It's been so long that one dialog about David's death keeps getting blurred with the others. I remember she simply tells Kirk that David was dead on the communicator. But I remember at some point, she tells Kirk that David gave his life to save her and Spock. However, I don't remember if she tells him that after Kirk arrives at the camp site on Genesis or if she does so in STIV. I have a distinct impression that it was on the camp site but I don't remember.
She tells him through Kruge's communicator from Genesis to Enterprise (Trek III). And then she tells him in person at the beginning of Star Trek IV as she is about to get off the bird-of-prey before it departs for Earth.

Fans Expendable