The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Games/Toys > Games/Toys > STO loses 90% of it's users
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

I couldn't stand Away Team. Love Armada though! Wish I would have bought the second one back when it was easy to find and reasonably priced...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Armada 2 had a boring story. Wouldn't play it again

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Armada 2 had a boring story. Wouldn't play it again
Armada was for multiplayer matches.
And for modders, you easily could modify it and there were plenty of good ideas.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Commander

After the initial swell of bad reviews that STO got complaining about how it was little more than a fancy trek combat sim, I decided to give it 1 year to improve. If Cryptic is listening to reviewers and actually fleshing out the game more/ bringing it closer to an MMO version of Final Unity or 25th aniversary/jugment rites

(the best trek games ever..armada was good too but in a different way.).

then I'll be happy to subscribe in a year right now the product just isnt worth playing and these numbers show that.

I wonder why publishers in recent years have flatly ignored the adventure/ puzzle elements that made older trek games a hit and been churning out boring shoot em ups instead

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure, as of now, when I'll be coming back to STO. Got other things to pay for...but I'll come back at some point.

I agree with radoskal regarding the actual gameplay itself. I don't care for the type of shoot 'em up that Cryptic put forward, especially the ground combat (absolutely atrocious IMO). The space combat was fun, but got old after the initial month. Some of that 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites/Final Unity gameplay, even in a more limited form would be a welcome addition. Hope things improve whenever I return.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Never heard of Away Team.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Never heard of Away Team.
Away Team was kind of a RTS version of the old DOS game known as UFO. The storyline puts you in charge of kind of a Star Fleet Spec Ops unit almost like the Hazard Teams from Star Trek Elite Force. The unit operates from the USS Incursion,a modified Defiant class starship using holographic technology similar to the Romulan drone ship in ENT. It's the same ship that appears in Armada 2 and the technology was also mentioned in SFC3. The story starts out with the Incursion rescuing a Klingon Bird of Prey that had been crippled by a Romulan Warbird by posing as another Warbird (I think from the Tal'shiar) and giving them false instructions to return to Romulan space while they finish off the BoP. As the story progresses it kind of takes on the feel of the TNG episode, Conspiracy. Unusual behavior from both the Romulans and Klingons are being observed, there's also bizarre behavior from higher up in Star Fleet. The unusual activity also begins to spread throughout the Federation as well as the Klingon and Romulan Star Empires. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Borg make an appearance. However during an away mission on board a Borg cube that had the Incursion in a tractor beam, you discover that something has left the Borg only partially functional. Portions of the ship along with the drones have been malfunctioning.

Anyway (spoiler coming) your investigations, aided by Ambassador Worf and Commander Data, reveal that a contagion consisting of modified Borg nanites had been used as a means of controlling key people in all the major empires of the galaxy. The investigation ends up leading you to Vulcan, and an elderly Vulcan monk or scientist (I can't remember which) had been using Borg nanites as a way of fighting off the effects of Bendii syndrome and ultimately (either by accident or on purpose) went one step further and tried using them to impose logic and order throughout the galaxy's inhabitants by controlling the leadership of the various factions.

I rather enjoyed the game. You have a pool of officers to choose from, each with various specialties. The Vulcans officers are capable of the nerve pinch. In addition to the standard hand phaser and phaser rifles there are more specialized weapons like a long range pulse rifle that is used like a sniper rifle. There are also grenades, remote mines, something like a hand held neural disruption device. The explosive items come in very handy in the Borg missions where you want to conserve your phasers to hold off adaptations as long as possible. Some of the missions require subtlety like if you kill a Romulan guard and another guard finds the body, he'll run off and sound the alarm. So in some cases you need to weigh the options of either systematically eliminating each guard in an area or simply trying to avoid confrontation and detection all together. Or if you do end up in a confrontation, sometimes it's best to stun the guard and leave the area fast as doing so will not cause alarms to be set off. Sound is another thing that affects stealth in the game. Weapons fire does make noise which can alert guards. Movement makes noise. If you run you make the most noise, walking makes less noise, and creeping by makes the least noise. The hand phasers also have an overload setting which allows you to use them like grenades.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 05-10-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

The story seems off the deep end but the play detail is not something I've encountered before in a Trek Game.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The story seems off the deep end but the play detail is not something I've encountered before in a Trek Game.
Yeah I didn't care much for the plot (rather I didn't care much for the ending), though the idea of the ship and Star Fleet having an elite spec ops unit that didn't operate to the extreme lengths of Section 31 did appeal to me. The thing I liked about the game is that the game play it is almost reminiscent of the old Star Trek adventure games like 25th anniversary, Judgment, and Final Unity in terms of the away missions. It's all third person perspective on a map and you can control the away team members individually. Visually the game isn't as pretty as the other Star Trek games that Activision came out with in that it does have a more 2 dimensional look or rather it's isometric. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about given your background but for those that don't it's when you represent 3 dimensional objects in 2 dimensions.

This screen shot shows one of the early away missions in the game where you board an Akira class starship that starfleet lost contact with. The Vulcan engineer in the group has an advanced mind meld capability which has little use tactically in the game, it's more of a plot device. And now that I look at this screenshot, if you look at the inventory menu on the lower right side, the item on the right side of the hand phaser was another nice little device the game developers came up with. It's supposed to be an EMP grenade. Quite harmless, but you can temporarily disable security cameras and Borg drones with it. Only engineers carry them just as the neural disruptor I mentioned earlier is only carried by medical officers. Another nice little device that one of your science officers can make use of is a personal cloaking device that you capture from a Romulan centurion in the first away mission. I think there's also a portable holo emitter that you can use to project the image of a person to distract enemies.

The developers had a little bit of fun in that they added an ensign in the game who's a security officer and one of the crew's marksmen. I forget his first name but he's supposed to be like the son of Kirk's nephew or something like that. They even kind of go out of the way to poke fun at Shatner and actually make him talk like Kirk but adding pauses in the voice overs. For example when he gets shot he goes, "I'm...under...attack..."

As you noted, there's a fair amount of detail that was given in terms of the tactical abilities of the team, which is rather unprecedented in a Star Trek game. While some of the abilities like overloading a phaser have appeared in the classic era of the Star Trek games, they only existed as a plot device and where not available at any other point in those games. Part of the away missions include secondary objectives which can be done or ignored at the players discretion, however it is very advisable to do them because as you complete secondary objectives, it unlocks upgrades to you equipment that your science and engineering teams have been developing, the details of which are usually given during your subsequent mission briefings as they're unlocked. For example at one point you have to try to get Worf into the chamber of the Klingon High Council to bring evidence that the Federation isn't trying to overthrow the empire or something. The secondary objective I think is to do so with no Klingon deaths. Or when you infiltrate a Romulan base you want to remain undetected and no Romulan deaths.

This is the box art showing Captain Marcus Refelian, the commanding officer in the center.

If you've played Armada 2 and done the last mission or paid close attention during the opening cinematic showing the Enterprise docked at that trading station then you'll recognize the USS Incursion. Not my favorite ship, visually speaking, but I have no real complaints.

Typical mission briefing screen after which you can put together your away team, however in certain points in the story you have to make do with whatever officers are available.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard

Last edited by Akula2ssn : 05-11-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah this is like Starcraft.