The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Inception
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
Leila Kalomi was terribly done. She comes across as a lovesick teenager floundering after getting dumped who daydreams her life away- not a confident woman and scientist who is a good match for Spock. My take on The Other Side of Paradise was that Spock was attracted to her and the spores had allowed him to embrace those feelings for her he had buried. I cannot see how he would even look twice at the character in the book. I don't even think Jim 'Anything In A Skirt' Kirk would have bothered.
That's exactly what she was like in "This Side of Paradise", so any complaints you have (which I agree with) should be against the writers of that episode. Which is why she never seemed like a good match for Spock,IMO. Who knows, if she had been someone like Amanda or Perin, someone able to understand Vulcans and read their emotions, it might have worked. Leila seemed to want Spock to always be the way he was when he was under the influence of spores.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
That's exactly what she was like in "This Side of Paradise", so any complaints you have (which I agree with) should be against the writers of that episode. Which is why she never seemed like a good match for Spock,IMO. Who knows, if she had been someone like Amanda or Perin, someone able to understand Vulcans and read their emotions, it might have worked. Leila seemed to want Spock to always be the way he was when he was under the influence of spores.
I guess we saw her differently in the episode. Again, Spock was attracted to her, and even admitted he could not admit to loving her before the spores allowed him to. So, I figure she, of the epi, must have been a pretty terrific woman and that he'd been impressed by her when they'd met earlier. Otherwise, I doubt he would have ignored her on the planet, just as he ignored the other women.

Are you thinking about the scene in the transporter room at the end? She was a bit clingy, I have to admit. But, it was an emotional moment for both of them- one of my favorite Spock scenes. I think she would have accepted Spock any way she could have him. I would!