The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > This forum is so quiet why
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Federation Councillor

It's not all bad, I don't mean that - but one can see the decline from season 1 quite clearly is all.

TOS season 1 had plenty of silliness in it as well, of course - after all, it does come with the TOS package - but it seems to be on the right side of that fine line that separates 'fun' silly and just plain silly.

But that's just my perception of it all - everyone's different.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
As I am slowly (but surely) discovering once again! Just as well the effects have been improved.

Funny how the vast majority of episodes that generally give TOS (and to Star Trek as a whole) much of it's reputation are actually rather front-loaded though the first season, with some in Season 2.
Was Season 3 worth £26 then, Kevin?

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

Overall the third season is clearly the weakest but it's not like TOS became an entirely different show in it's last year and there are quite some memorable episodes like Savage Curtain or Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.
The 3rd season space hippies episode isn't really worse than the 1st season salt-sucker-monster-of-the-week episode so I'd claim that in TOS, like in all Trek series, it depends on the single story. The average quality differences between seasons (or even entire shows if one wants to compare the five series) is far smaller than the quality difference among single episodes.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

You know one episode that I've probably never seen in it's entirety and I NEVER hear anyone talk about?

"The Empath"

What's up with that? I mean if I could make a chart of most talked about episodes, that one is probably at the very bottom.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Was Season 3 worth £26 then, Kevin?
I'm a completist anyway so I would have bought the remastered versions anyway and it does have episodes I like - 'The Tholian Web', 'All our Yesterday's', 'The Empath' and a few others.

Given here they don't usually go into the sales much then £26 is actually a pretty good price for the set.

I paid £29.99 last week online for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Overall the third season is clearly the weakest but it's not like TOS became an entirely different show in it's last year and there are quite some memorable episodes like Savage Curtain or Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. The 3rd season space hippies episode isn't really worse than the 1st season salt-sucker-monster-of-the-week episode so I'd claim that in TOS, like in all Trek series, it depends on the single story. The average quality differences between seasons (or even entire shows if one wants to compare the five series) is far smaller than the quality difference among single episodes.
True, if one averages it out over Trek as a whole - but I had merely noticed (not for the first time but it just popped back in) that the first season (and the second slightly less so) has the higher percentage of those episodes normally regarded (within fandom as well as without in the wider media) as being more emblematic of what Star Trek was supposed to be about.

'Balance of Terror', 'CoTEOF', 'Tribbles', 'Babel' etc -

If you look at (and there are obviously more than a few) a few 'top ten' lists that have been made over the years it often gets made up of primarily season 1 shows. About the only Season 3 show that gets mentioned is 'All our Yesterday's' and 'Battlefield'.

Obviously, we shouldn't forget the behind the scenes production troubles the third season had at the time and that's undeniably a factor - but I just found it interesting to note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
You know one episode that I've probably never seen in it's entirety and I NEVER hear anyone talk about?

"The Empath"

What's up with that? I mean if I could make a chart of most talked about episodes, that one is probably at the very bottom.
Yeah, it never comes up a lot and yet it's one of the one's I often remember - firstly because in the UK here it was never aired with the rest of the series and was banned because of content, secondly because it has a very memorable stark production design (yeah, the reality is probably because the show had zero budget left by then but the creative result of that works) and lastly because I kinda like it - but I have seen it get talked about from time to time.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Vice Admiral

Please don't go there about Spock's Brain, what a lame episode like it's a Star Trek for bores for goodness sake.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
Please don't go there about Spock's Brain, what a lame episode like it's a Star Trek for bores for goodness sake.
Is that a new book, "Star Trek For Bores?"
Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Is that a new book, "Star Trek For Bores?"
Z, I thought you had abandoned this place? Of course, Zardoz is everywhere at once, so I understand how you can't pass up a posting opportunity!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Rear Admiral

Zardoz is the godhead that floats among us!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 04-20-2010, 04:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, I am everywhere..keeping an eye on all my freinds.