Originally Posted by TheTrekkie
Q never was a villain
What did Q actually do?
- He made Picard to overcome his human limitations and think in bigger terms. (All good things e.g.)
- He forced the morally so perfectly evolved mankind to get off their high horse and learn humility.
- He showed mankind the Borg, so that the Federation had time to develop new ships like the Defiant and weapons like Quantum torpedos or Pulse Phasers which avoided the second Borg attack on Earth in ST:FC and made a good job during the Dominion War. Thus the Federation was prepared for coming dangers.
- He tried to seduce Riker and by doing so made him realize the corruption of unlimited powers and the powerlessness you even can have with all worldly powers in your hand.
- He teached Picard that the loss of his heart was important, without he never could become the Picard we know, that it was an important and formative aspect of his past, nothing to regret.
As Data once said Picard (and the mankind) are like a favorite pet to Q. He actually helps them, but on unorthodox ways that force mankind to evolve by experience and not by dogmatic teachings.
Well said, TT. One of the great elements in the relationship between Q and Picard is Picard's lack of acknowledgement of Q's help. He is of course aware of it but he doesn't want to and if he wants to he cannot sanction Q's unusual methods.