The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > BIJ: Best Indiana Jones
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Indiana OWNS?
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark 10 50.00%
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 2 10.00%
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 8 40.00%
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I tend to feel that ToD is - for some reason - more a collection of set pieces that don't really have a very strong story holding them together. I like the set pieces (the Shanghai opening, the plane escape, the mine car etc) but overall the film just lacks focus.

Crystal Skull is a little similar, whereas Ark and Crusade seem to have a clearer story - find the Ark, find the Holy Grail - and work better as films.

I still prefer Skull to Doom however for some reason. Maybe it's because I like the 1950s 'B' movie nods it's filled with a little better.
I prefer Skull to Doom as well, but it's not by much. I also agree with the clearer story. One big issue though is the throwaway characters in Doom and Skull. I mean, Short Round and Capshaw are nuisances. Blanchett and LeBouf (even John Hurt and Karen Allen) portray forgettable characters. That takes away from those movies IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I prefer Skull to Doom as well, but it's not by much. I also agree with the clearer story. One big issue though is the throwaway characters in Doom and Skull. I mean, Short Round and Capshaw are nuisances. Blanchett and LeBouf (even John Hurt and Karen Allen) portray forgettable characters. That takes away from those movies IMO.
I don't find (personally) Paul Freeman as Belloq or whomever played the businessman in Crusade any more memorable I have to say. Their respective demises, yep! But themselves thay are about as unmemorable to me as any of them. Though I have always quite enjoyed Capshaw - I found her amusing and I like Karen Allen as well.

The strength of Indiana Jones has really always been Ford. It all revolves around him anyway.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,990
Default

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I liked Shortround.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-27-2010, 12:58 PM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I don't find (personally) Paul Freeman as Belloq or whomever played the businessman in Crusade any more memorable I have to say. Their respective demises, yep! But themselves thay are about as unmemorable to me as any of them. Though I have always quite enjoyed Capshaw - I found her amusing and I like Karen Allen as well.

The strength of Indiana Jones has really always been Ford. It all revolves around him anyway.
I like Karen Allen. I just didn't think she added anything to Crystal Skull. Capshaw was just annoying to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-27-2010, 07:22 PM
SouthernSpockette's Avatar
SouthernSpockette SouthernSpockette is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 529
Default

I'm at a crossroads between Raiders and Crusade. They were both the best of the 4, to be sure.
__________________
"Why is any object we don't understand always called 'a thing' ?" ~ Dr. Leonard H. McCoy, Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Shortround was funny in ToD.

I think some folks also didn't quite like ToD because, unlike the other Indy movies, there wasn't as much globetrotting. It stayed confined to about two locales (China and India) whereas the other films I think had at least three or four locales to sport.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Maybe. It's not that in my case, but maybe for some it would have something to do with it.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I think some folks also didn't quite like ToD because, unlike the other Indy movies, there wasn't as much globetrotting. It stayed confined to about two locales (China and India) whereas the other films I think had at least three or four locales to sport.
That may have very little to do with it...

It's still just too silly of a movie for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Quark's Avatar
Quark Quark is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, California
Posts: 2,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo 5150 View Post
I don't hate it at all; and in fact rate it thus:

1. Temple Of Doom
2. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
3. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
4. Last Crusade
Ouch, you really must have hated Last Crusade.
__________________
*The word "dabo" means "I will give" in Latin, and "Gold" in Aramaic.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Ouch, you really must have hated Last Crusade.
I don't see how anyone could hate that one...
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.