The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Caprica
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
Holy Frack. Who watched last night's episode? This relationship between Joseph and Daniel is very different than I thought it would be. I'm loving Joseph's brother Sam alot!
I'm liking his character alot as well, and the whole Soprano's angle being done with the Adama family.

I was also shocked at how Daniel/Joseph's relationship has turned into a kind of War of the Roses.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Glad to know it's not at all like BSG. Even though I hated BSG, I thought Caprica looked cool but I was afraid it would be similar to its predecessor.
I think I might give it a shot after all, especially since there's a blatant lack of good scifi series these days.

And by the way, Friday nights is always where SyFy puts its best series and they don't usually suffer because of it. Stargate Atlantis had a five year run on Fridays and I'm not sure it would have done so much better on any other day of the week. And now they have SGU which seems to be doing quite fine as well. As a matter of fact, Friday nights are about the only slot during the week when there's barely any competition from the all the other networks, especially the big ones.
True. All I know is from my past experience with other shows and what I hear writers and critics say about Friday nights. Maybe that's only in the network channels where that applies.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I'm liking his character alot as well, and the whole Soprano's angle being done with the Adama family.

I was also shocked at how Daniel/Joseph's relationship has turned into a kind of War of the Roses.
Totally wasn't expecting that to happen! I can't wait for Fridays new episode.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Yeah. Great, great show so far!
One of the things that I really loved about BSG the fact that the 'good guys', the humans, were polytheistic and the 'bad guys', the Cylons, believed in a "one true God". Subversive, to say the least! Now finding out about the origins of that monotheism, (had to rewrite this as to not spoil for those who haven't seen the show yet!) is making for some excellent science fiction!

I wonder if Glen Larson is at all jealous of how his concept has developed. I know he's making money from all of the BSG and now Caprica stuff, rightfully so, but it's gone so far beyond what he created. Oh for the day when the Star Trek Universe is expanded and explored in such a creative fashion! JJ's Trek could be the start of that but maybe someday in the future Ronald D. Moore will come back to Star Trek and be given the freedom to boldly go!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Yeah. Great, great show so far!
One of the things that I really loved about BSG the fact that the 'good guys', the humans, were polytheistic and the 'bad guys', the Cylons, believed in a "one true God". Subversive, to say the least! Now finding out about the origins of that monotheism, (had to rewrite this as to not spoil for those who haven't seen the show yet!) is making for some excellent science fiction!

I wonder if Glen Larson is at all jealous of how his concept has developed. I know he's making money from all of the BSG and now Caprica stuff, rightfully so, but it's gone so far beyond what he created. Oh for the day when the Star Trek Universe is expanded and explored in such a creative fashion! JJ's Trek could be the start of that but maybe someday in the future Ronald D. Moore will come back to Star Trek and be given the freedom to boldly go!
One of things that struck me about Moore's approach to BSG, even in some of the interviews he gave about it, was how intentionally different he intended to make it from Star Trek's approach to sci-fi storytelling. I don't think he would ever go back to Star Trek, he's definately moving away from the space opera approach with Caprica, and even did a little of that in BSG, during the New Caprica episodes.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of religious/cultural statement Moore is intending to make with Caprica. I never really understood the Cylon-God idea either.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 AM
Commander

I've never watched the new BSG but I've only heard good things about it. Everyone I've spoken to about the series has said "You have to watch it." I almost picked up the blu-ray series set around Christmas but changed my mind. I found out that it is being re-released in slimmer packaging on April 6 for half the price $150CDN and it will also include "The Plan" which was not in the previous set. I've decided it's time for me to watch this show. I was wondering though should I catch up on Caprica before I watch BSG or should I hold off until I finish BSG?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Admiral

No, I'd watch BSG first. Caprica is a great show so far but there's nothing you need to know that Caprica sets up for BSG so I'd check out BSG first. I'd like to get that complete set on blu-ray! The Plan and also Razor are nice additions to the series also, which the latest set should include.

So far Caprica is shaping up to be damn good as well.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Commander

There's no reason why you cann't watch both shows simultaneously. There's really no direct connection between the two shows. One doesn't lead to the other, or vice versa. The only character I've seen in both shows is William Adama. In BSG, he is a seasoned 50 year old veteran of the first cyclon war. In Caprica, he is just a 9 yr. old boy. In fact, the original 70s BSG has more in common with Moore's 2005 version of the series than Caprica does. In that some of the stories in the original BSG became story ideas in Moore's version of the series, and the two series cover the same ground.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
No, I'd watch BSG first. Caprica is a great show so far but there's nothing you need to know that Caprica sets up for BSG so I'd check out BSG first. I'd like to get that complete set on blu-ray! The Plan and also Razor are nice additions to the series also, which the latest set should include.

The first "complete series" set included "Razor" but not "The Plan." Both are included in the new set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
There's no reason why you cann't watch both shows simultaneously. There's really no direct connection between the two shows. One doesn't lead to the other, or vice versa. The only character I've seen in both shows is William Adama. In BSG, he is a seasoned 50 year old veteran of the first cyclon war. In Caprica, he is just a 9 yr. old boy. In fact, the original 70s BSG has more in common with Moore's 2005 version of the series than Caprica does. In that some of the stories in the original BSG became story ideas in Moore's version of the series, and the two series cover the same ground.
That's what I meant to ask is if I could watch both simultaneously. I wasn't sure if there are any "spoilers" in Caprica that may make the experience of watching BSG for the first time less enjoyable. I'm looking forward to watching both of these shows. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post

Same here, but I also agree it probably ultimately shouldn't make a massive difference.

courtesy of Saquist