The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > When Did VOYAGER Jump The Shark?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Commander

Thanks for your thoughts Janeway72, I was looking forward to your input.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Voyager was the first Star Trek series that I saw all the way through. (Actually it is the only one I have seen every episode of.) I agree with many of the points made here except, I think Voyager got better and better. it lost it's way a bit in Season 6 with a few pretty lame episodes but in general, I think from Season 4 onwards it was great. I also have to say that Season 1 was fantastic too.
I think that's actually a very noteworthy observation - that VOY was your first fully viewed Trek series.

I can see how it would have a potential impact on appraisal.

Myself (and I think some others who view it less favourably as a series) came to it after having seen TOS, TNG and DS9 (if not perhaps in that order), so for me, it was my fourth Trek series to get into and that's why many of the criticisms levelled at it apply.

I was (we were) so familiar already with what so much of VOY did that it had lost all sense of freshness and newness, and was more a well-oiled, formatted to series style of TV show. Some of the ideas and plots we were seeing for the umpteenth time.

But viewers like you haven't seen that. It was new to you and the perception obviously will differ because of that.

It's even possible you may have the reverse experience and by the time you hit TNG will be going 'I've seen this kinda story already - boring!' etc.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

It's even possible you may have the reverse experience and by the time you hit TNG will be going 'I've seen this kinda story already - boring!' etc.
I think that will be the case. I still don't particularly like TOS or TNG but I think it's mainly because they are so dated in comparison to the others. I suspect most people like the series that they first saw best. It's the same way that most people prefer the first Dan Brown book they read and the rest seem a bit formulaic (Not having read the last one).

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I think that will be the case. I still don't particularly like TOS or TNG but I think it's mainly because they are so dated in comparison to the others. I suspect most people like the series that they first saw best. It's the same way that most people prefer the first Dan Brown book they read and the rest seem a bit formulaic (Not having read the last one).
True - TNG was my first series and still the one I love the most. DS9 is my favourite complete series, but TNG is the one I love first and foremost!

Although I have to be contrary and say that re Dan Brown, my favourite is actually Angels and Demons, which was the second book that I read.

And, I have to say - having just given my copy away to a charity swap in work after barely being able to get through it once - I would say you are not missing much when it comes to The Lost Symbol!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
True - TNG was my first series and still the one I love the most. DS9 is my favourite complete series, but TNG is the one I love first and foremost!

Although I have to be contrary and say that re Dan Brown, my favourite is actually Angels and Demons, which was the second book that I read.

And, I have to say - having just given my copy away to a charity swap in work after barely being able to get through it once - I would say you are not missing much when it comes to The Lost Symbol!
I read Angels and Demons first. And was able to see where the Da Vinci Code was going after the first few chapters, which is not usually what happens to me.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
You don't like season 4 of ENT?
I thought Season four of ENT was an overall improvement over Season three, mainly because it didn't involve the Xindi story arc. Even season three had some standout episodes like Similitude, and Azati Prime. I don't remember any from Season four.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I read Angels and Demons first. And was able to see where the Da Vinci Code was going after the first few chapters, which is not usually what happens to me.
I've only read the Da Vinci Code. I figured things out early on because I'd read Holy Blood Holy Grail years before.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 02-13-2010, 05:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, Brown is kind of a one-trick pony. Once you've read one, the surprises in the rest of them are not that surprising overall.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Commander

Quote:

That's exactly what I did with Dan Brown's books, and I also found Angels and Demons the best of the first four. Shame you say the new book isn't very good, was looking forward to getting round to reading that.

TNG I find the best but it comes across very dated now in a lot of ways compared to DS9 and VOY, It would be interesting if you showed someone who had never seen and epiosde of TNG, DS9 and VOY and showed them a good episode from each series and asked them which one they liked the most.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
That's exactly what I did with Dan Brown's books, and I also found Angels and Demons the best of the first four. Shame you say the new book isn't very good, was looking forward to getting round to reading that.

TNG I find the best but it comes across very dated now in a lot of ways compared to DS9 and VOY, It would be interesting if you showed someone who had never seen and epiosde of TNG, DS9 and VOY and showed them a good episode from each series and asked them which one they liked the most.
Which three episodes would you pick?