The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > High Rez pics of the Enterprise A, B, and D filming models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Maga,

There's a story, i believe included as an extra on one of the TNG films or TNG seasons, don't remember which, that shortly after TNG wrapped, the Enterprise-D disappeared. It was discovered sometime later to be hanging on the ceiling of a Bar and Grill somewhere, whereupon someone stumbled upon it, contacted Paramount, which bought it back. That's probably why its so damaged. Or perhaps it was damaged while making Generations. But i remember hearing that a replica was created for that final scene where the Enterprise-D plows into the ground.
I think they refurbed the original TNG 6ft model that was originally built for TNG in Generations, because it had far better surface detailing than the smaller 4ft model employed on TNG after season 3 (or maybe 4, my memory is a little off) but I can't recall if they used the 6ft model saucer or a brand new saucer only model for the crash sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Agreed! The Ent-B has always been one of my favorites. I think it's much better executed as compared to the too-simple Excelsior design.
Fascinating - I find the opposite with the Ent-B.

The alterations to the basic Excelsior design really ruin the clean lines and simple elegance of the underlying shape and finish.

It's like my very own Ryan Church Enterprise to TOS Enterprise!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The alterations to the basic Excelsior design really ruin the clean lines and simple elegance of the underlying shape and finish.
Right! 4 impulse engines and tumors on the 2ndary hull?!
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
SJM's Avatar
SJM SJM is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I think they refurbed the original TNG 6ft model that was originally built for TNG in Generations, because it had far better surface detailing than the smaller 4ft model employed on TNG after season 3 (or maybe 4, my memory is a little off) but I can't recall if they used the 6ft model saucer or a brand new saucer only model for the crash sequence.
The 6 footer, which I always liked the best, was used from season one to midway through season three. After that it is all stock footage.

The four foot model was made and appeared for the first time in The Defector. Surprisingly it was a very ugly shot anway. That model was then used for the rest of the shows run.

When the movie came along, it was decided that the four foot model was not sutable for movie lighting and filming conditions, so the older six footer was brought out of storage, refurbished, repainted and filmed for Generations. After filming was complete, as a joke, the model shop redid the 'D' decal so that it read 'NCC 1701 -E'.

A completely new saucer section was made just for the crash sequence, I can't remember how big it was but it was massive. They mounted it on top of a truck and drove it through a fake planet set. This worked because the whole planet set was made on top of a giant zipper. Quite cool to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Right! 4 impulse engines and tumors on the 2ndary hull?!
Oh yep, the flared out hull was terrible! But then they did that to echo the Galaxy secondary hull.

Why, I have no idea since the following Ambassador Class design had already been established as not have them either.

So they were attempting to create design lineage in Generations they had already established differently in TNG itself.

The flares were pointless and additional impulse units?

I don't see where they popped in from!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM View Post
The 6 footer, which I always liked the best, was used from season one to midway through season three. After that it is all stock footage.

The four foot model was made and appeared for the first time in The Defector. Surprisingly it was a very ugly shot anway. That model was then used for the rest of the shows run.

When the movie came along, it was decided that the four foot model was not sutable for movie lighting and filming conditions, so the older six footer was brought out of storage, refurbished, repainted and filmed for Generations. After filming was complete, as a joke, the model shop redid the 'D' decal so that it read 'NCC 1701 -E'.

A completely new saucer section was made just for the crash sequence, I can't remember how big it was but it was massive. They mounted it on top of a truck and drove it through a fake planet set. This worked because the whole planet set was made on top of a giant zipper. Quite cool to watch.
I remember seeing a making-of covering the crash and thinking it looked like a new model but wasn't sure.

I never really liked the 4ft model, the 6ft always looked better.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Roysten's Avatar
Roysten Roysten is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Oh yep, the flared out hull was terrible! But then they did that to echo the Galaxy secondary hull.

Why, I have no idea since the following Ambassador Class design had already been established as not have them either.

So they were attempting to create design lineage in Generations they had already established differently in TNG itself.

The flares were pointless and additional impulse units?

I don't see where they popped in from!
I'm pretty sure the flairs were added so that they could cut into them when the ship is hit by the energy discharge rather than cutting directly into the studio model. As for the extra impulse engines, need for speed maybe...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 PM
SJM's Avatar
SJM SJM is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I remember seeing a making-of covering the crash and thinking it looked like a new model but wasn't sure.

I never really liked the 4ft model, the 6ft always looked better.
Yeah, I've seen that doco too. That saucer was a new model and it was massive, I don't remember exactly how big though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I'm pretty sure the flairs were added so that they could cut into them when the ship is hit by the energy discharge rather than cutting directly into the studio model. As for the extra impulse engines, need for speed maybe...
That's right, but after filming they found that they couldn't remove the flairs without damaging the original model becuase of the materials they used, so they left them on.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM View Post
Yeah, I've seen that doco too. That saucer was a new model and it was massive, I don't remember exactly how big though.

That's right, but after filming they found that they couldn't remove the flairs without damaging the original model becuase of the materials they used, so they left them on.
Yep, sounds about right.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.