The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek gets snubbed by the Oscars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
TriggerMan TriggerMan is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
If there is an Oscar for "film most likely to cause an epileptic seizure", then all those lens flares would have made NuTrek a shoe-in!!
Ironically, someone died from watching Avatar in 3-D in Thailand or somewhere like that.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 PM
TriggerMan TriggerMan is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think Trek got snubbed because there wasn't anything Oscar worthy, except for the visuals and sound. Looks like I wasn't the only one that thinks NuTrek was only fluff, fun fluff... but fluff none the less
Will keep the "fluff" comment in mind seeing as no other Star Trek film has received a "Best Picture" nominee in the Oscars.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think Trek got snubbed because there wasn't anything Oscar worthy, except for the visuals and sound. Looks like I wasn't the only one that thinks NuTrek was only fluff, fun fluff... but fluff none the less
As a POV that's fine - But you do realize that the similar lack of nominations in any major categories for all of the other Star Trek film means they (the Academy) must have thought that about all the others as well?

If we apply your post's implied logic to the other films, of course.

Just saying.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 AM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
As a POV that's fine - But you do realize that the similar lack of nominations in any major categories for all of the other Star Trek film means they (the Academy) must have thought that about all the others as well?

If we apply your post's implied logic to the other films, of course.

Just saying.
I agree with you completely. Never said I didn't. I think we've actually agreed that the movies tend to be more targeted for general audiences. With that said, after such a long wait and so much cash thrown into the making of it, many people expected more from this particular Trek film. I just wanted a little more familiarity!!!
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I agree with you completely. Never said I didn't. I think we've actually agreed that the movies tend to be more targeted for general audiences. With that said, after such a long wait and so much cash thrown into the making of it, many people expected more from this particular Trek film. I just wanted a little more familiarity!!!
What can I say! Only that I found plenty of familiarity and was far more pleased by this film than the last few! But I think we already know that!



I don't lose much sleep about whether it got nominated for Oscars or not in the long run, anyway, nor whether any of the other's did.

But as entertainment, it worked just fine.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
starwarsrcks's Avatar
starwarsrcks starwarsrcks is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,062
Default

Well some people think Star Trek is just a sci fi fun popcorn flick it's something more than that in my opinion.
__________________



Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 PM
TriggerMan TriggerMan is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
many people expected more from this particular Trek film.
And many got it.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
What can I say! Only that I found plenty of familiarity and was far more pleased by this film than the last few! But I think we already know that!



I don't lose much sleep about whether it got nominated for Oscars or not in the long run, anyway, nor whether any of the other's did.

But as entertainment, it worked just fine.
Yeah, I have never been bothered by the fact Trek films do not receive nominations for Oscars. It does not bother me NuTrek was not nominated either.

Where you and I disagree, mostly... is in terms of style. I know this was a TOS based movie and expected a TOS feel to the story and characters, but I acknowledge that over 40 years of Trek has been created. I think it would have been smarter to acknowledge the existence of all that Trek and to use more of what had been established. No, I don;t mean it had to look exactly like TNG or any other trek. I know I go and on regarding a thrumming warp core, but this is how I feel: We did not see a thrumming warp core in TOS. We saw a thrumming warp core in TNG, ENT, and the other series of Trek. So... I expected to see one in this film. It is not that that they did not exist in the TOS timeframe of Trek, rather they were simply not rendered by the 1960's creators of Trek. I felt like the stupid engineering section we saw completely spit on established Trek. The alternate "Nero changed everything" point of view does not make sense for me when speaking in terms of things like this.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
And many got it.
You know... I think I am Zim is correct about you. See this page for more info:

http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...10006&page=243
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Yeah, I have never been bothered by the fact Trek films do not receive nominations for Oscars. It does not bother me NuTrek was not nominated either.

Where you and I disagree, mostly... is in terms of style. I know this was a TOS based movie and expected a TOS feel to the story and characters, but I acknowledge that over 40 years of Trek has been created. I think it would have been smarter to acknowledge the existence of all that Trek and to use more of what had been established. No, I don;t mean it had to look exactly like TNG or any other trek. I know I go and on regarding a thrumming warp core, but this is how I feel: We did not see a thrumming warp core in TOS. We saw a thrumming warp core in TNG, ENT, and the other series of Trek. So... I expected to see one in this film. It is not that that they did not exist in the TOS timeframe of Trek, rather they were simply not rendered by the 1960's creators of Trek. I felt like the stupid engineering section we saw completely spit on established Trek. The alternate "Nero changed everything" point of view does not make sense for me when speaking in terms of things like this.
Yeah, I have to be honest and just say that the lack of a thrumming warp core really is not significant personally - especially when not having one is actually consistent with TOS.

Of course, the TOS Warp core was also completely different visually from all the other engine rooms so maybe that had a part to play in the thrumming.

I mean, to an extent you can't use what shows like TNG etc established because by going back to the TOS time frame you're going back to a period before anything from these series were established anyway.

The film is about TOS - not the later shows.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.