The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek gets snubbed by the Oscars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad it got snubbed. You people obviously haven't learned that these up tight hollywood assholes don't like science fiction at all. ****ty movies win awards, truely good movies don't. Cars are the same way, the lame-assed piece of **** cars get all the awards while the cool cars don't.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
I'm glad it got snubbed. You people obviously haven't learned that these up tight hollywood assholes don't like science fiction at all. ****ty movies win awards, truely good movies don't. Cars are the same way, the lame-assed piece of **** cars get all the awards while the cool cars don't.
Then how do you explain Avatar or District 9?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Then how do you explain Avatar or District 9?
Didn't District 9 get knocked out by that crapola the blind side?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Federation Councillor

They are both nominated.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Commander

Quote:
Didn't District 9 get knocked out by that crapola the blind side?
I can't comment on the Blindside, but District 9 and Avatar are BOTH nominated, thus disproving your hypothesis that the Academy simply doesn't like Sci-Fi.

Also, since varions Star Trek movies have been nominated in the past in different categories, including Best Score for ST:TMP (lost to George Delerue's A Little Romance, and accompanied by Alien that same year), I'd argue that Star Trek is not particularly afflicted by the SciFi/Fantasy stigma.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
I can't comment on the Blindside, but District 9 and Avatar are BOTH nominated, thus disproving your hypothesis that the Academy simply doesn't like Sci-Fi.

Also, since varions Star Trek movies have been nominated in the past in different categories, including Best Score for ST:TMP (lost to George Delerue's A Little Romance, and accompanied by Alien that same year), I'd argue that Star Trek is not particularly afflicted by the SciFi/Fantasy stigma.
There are two kinds of scifi, the kind that hollywood likes(aka lame kind) and the kind the rest of the public likes. Now if you wanna believe the media when they say district 9 and avatar are good that's your choice but they are often wrong.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Commander

Quote:
There are two kinds of scifi, the kind that hollywood likes(aka lame kind) and the kind the rest of the public likes. Now if you wanna believe the media when they say district 9 and avatar are good that's your choice but they are often wrong.
I've seen, and can vouch for, District 9. It is an excellent movie with an unlikely hero in Wikus, and has something to say about Apartheid, with very well realized Aliens in the "prawns". Of the Sci-Fi nominations, I believe this should win.

Avatar is entertaining, with a clunky story, but amazing visuals. From a technological perspective, it deserves to be there.

As a movie? It was merely okay.

Still, it is not an aversion to Sci-Fi.

You are absolutely right to say the Academy has a history of getting it wrong, as the Best Score for 1979 went to "A Little Romance" rather than Alien or Star Trek: The Motion Picutre (infinately better scores by Jerry Goldsmith).
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Commander

I will say this though, Star Trek was shafted in many areas, specifically in the Score and Production Design categories.

It also deserves best picture more than The Blind Side, if the 58% rating on RT is accurate about the movie's merits is correct.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
well off course he's entitled to his opinion but I have to disagree NuTrek should have got more nominations after all it did bring Trek back from the dead

GAAAAAAAAAAAG...GAAG....coughcough...

sorry...it was reflex reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post

At which point I'm forced to point out the obvious - no Star Trek movie has been nominated in such categories period.
Doesn't matter.
This is about this movie. No one that isn't a slacker sets goals by failures.

Quote:
I will say this though, Star Trek was shafted in many areas, specifically in the Score and Production Design categories.

It also deserves best picture more than The Blind Side, if the 58% rating on RT is accurate about the movie's merits is correct.
nah...the score wasn't special it was repeative. I haven't heard a good Star Trek score since TUC. I haven't heard a good score period since The Day After Tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
You seem to be contradicting yourself again. You state that Star Trek XI is rubbish and then say that Hollywood and the Academy are only interested in nominating cr@ppy movies. So by that logic, Star Trek should have been nominated.

Personally I don't think it should have been up for best picture and it has got four nominations in more appropriate categories. I;d have liked to see a nomination for the score, but that's just a personal opinion.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"