The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Spock Prime get frustrated with outdated technology in the new timeline?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Abrams didn't design it. He has a team of designers and conceptual artists that do that :P

The Stun/Kill idea was based on the question: What is the best way to portray visually the switch between Stun and Kill, the basic modes in which the Phaser normally operates?

From a VISUAL perspective it works, even though we know that phasers have things such as "Wide Beam" or "Narrow Beam" settings for knocking out crowds or cutting rocks.

Beyond strength and beam width, Stun and Kill are really the only settings a phaser has ever been portrayed to have.

Oh, and of course it can be set to overload and explode.

What is MISSING from the hand phasers, really, is the Phaser I/Phaser II separate units.
Yet the original phasers look better than the new ones, image that. You forgot maximum stun and kill(vaporize).
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Yet the original phasers look better than the new ones, image that. You forgot maximum stun and kill(vaporize).
Those are intensity settings. I believe I listed them.

The TOS Phasers look better to us FANS, but not necessarily to those unfamiliar with Star Trek.

Star Trek II and Star Trek III would not have worked with the TOS Phasers unchanged.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 PM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Those are intensity settings. I believe I listed them.

The TOS Phasers look better to us FANS, but not necessarily to those unfamiliar with Star Trek.

Star Trek II and Star Trek III would not have worked with the TOS Phasers unchanged.
Nope you didn't list those. There are different kinds of US fans, ones who like the new movie and ones who don't. So far the ones who don't outnumber the ones who do or else the new ship's turd status wouldn't be in question.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Kaboom's Avatar
Kaboom Kaboom is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Nope you didn't list those. There are different kinds of US fans, ones who like the new movie and ones who don't. So far the ones who don't outnumber the ones who do or else the new ship's turd status wouldn't be in question.
HA.

Did you look beyond this forum or your own house before you said that? The whiny "fans" who have been decrying the movie are little more than a vocal but extremely small minority. The remaining Trekkies, critics and especially the general population have had overwhelmingly good things to say about the movie.

And guess what? Liking the film makes them Star Trek fans, too.
__________________
The way it is.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
JamesTKirk1701's Avatar
JamesTKirk1701 JamesTKirk1701 is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
HA.

Did you look beyond this forum or your own house before you said that? The whiny "fans" who have been decrying the movie are little more than a vocal but extremely small minority. The remaining Trekkies, critics and especially the general population have had overwhelmingly good things to say about the movie.

And guess what? Liking the film makes them Star Trek fans, too.
Keep telling yourself that. The general population don't know their assholes from their elbows.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Keep telling yourself that. The general population don't know their assholes from their elbows.
They know what they like, and some may know more about movies and movie making that any of us here.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,990
Default

There was never any chance that the ship would not be redesigned.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM
janeway72's Avatar
janeway72 janeway72 is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Federation Starship Voyager
Posts: 4,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Nope you didn't list those. There are different kinds of US fans, ones who like the new movie and ones who don't. So far the ones who don't outnumber the ones who do or else the new ship's turd status wouldn't be in question.
Do you have polling data for that "fact?"
__________________

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Kaboom's Avatar
Kaboom Kaboom is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Keep telling yourself that. The general population don't know their assholes from their elbows.
What about the critics, then? The ones whose job it is to recognize quality and judge a work on the presence or lack of it?

As for the public, what's more important is that their common sense and tastes aren't clouded by a deep, perhaps too deep, immersion in a fandom. Which is the exact problem with a lot of the Trekkie audience.
__________________
The way it is.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
Keep telling yourself that. The general population don't know their assholes from their elbows.
Well at the end of the day that just reminds me of the old saying - opinions are also like assholes.

Everybody has one.

You have yours, everyone else has theirs.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 02-03-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.