The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Favorite Goldsmith Score?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Favortie Goldsmith Trek Score
The Motion Picture 14 60.87%
The Final Frontier 6 26.09%
First Contact 6 26.09%
Insurrection 1 4.35%
Nemesis 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Federation Councillor

I wouldn't really pick one solely because I like several pieces across all the films that he was involved in scoring.

The FC main theme is excellent, as is the main fanfare and V'Ger music in TMP, the 'mountain' music score in V and I like them all!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I wouldn't really pick one solely because I like several pieces across all the films that he was involved in scoring.

The FC main theme is excellent, as is the main fanfare and V'Ger music in TMP, the 'mountain' music score in V and I like them all!
Then vote for all of 'em. I made it so you can vote for more than one if you can't choose.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well even though at first I didnt think The Motion Picture was great, the music is pretty good. I think The Final Frontier music was pretty good, espically the part where Kirk goes up the mountain. I also like the music in Nemeis. My favorite song/score is the main Star Trek theme we hear in The Motion Picture/Final Frontier, which almost the same theme song we hear at the begaing of TNG series.That song is so catchy!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Then vote for all of 'em. I made it so you can vote for more than one if you can't choose.
A possibility!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yesterday when I went to Half Price books, I found the soundtrack to Undscoverd Country. I havent got the chance to listen to it yet, but I just might later when I go to bed. My husband likes to listen to music when he goes to sleep, so I might play it then.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Commander

Definitely Star Trek The Motion Picture. From the 'Klingon Battle' to 'The Cloud', 'Vejur Flyover', 'The Spock Walk' and finally 'The Meld', it's just a beautiful score all around.

First Contact gets second place. Great tension-building Terminator-esque percussions for the Borg, most notably in the deflector dish sequence. This is essentially a 'zombie flick' after all. The cues by Joel Goldsmith don't quite mesh with the rest of the CD, but work well enough on film. I would prefer to not have 'Ooby Dooby' or 'Magic Carpet Ride' on the CD at all.

I actually think V: The Final Frontier is a more well-rounded soundtrack than FC, however the 'A Busy Man' theme gets tiresomely repetetive towards the end. I also subtract a few points for the bloody Ewok horns (that's what I'm deciding to call them) heard in the Klingon theme this time (film version only). 'Open Minds' is I think the high point of this score. Also love that record player crank-up motif that plays when the STII starfield fades in, or whenever the Bird of Prey decloaks. I soooo wish another ST score had included that sound, just because most STV haters (and I'm 'kinda' one myself) would've instantly recognized it.

Nemesis -- not caring for a lot of the electronic percussions in this score (such as during the "raise shields?" first contact with the... whatever's the name of Schinzon's ship is ). There's a really nice theme during the closing titles though... don't think it's on the CD, but I believe it is Picard wrapping up his dinner appointment with Schinzon in the Romulan capital.

Insurrection -- All I really remember is that low dribble dribble dribble percussion whenever the Son'a are on the screen... it just sounds oh-so-1950's (in that B-movie flying saucer kind of way).

Though I have all the soundrack CDs (except Generations) I guess I just never quite remembered any of the title tracks to the cues from the TNG films.

Last edited by samwiseb : 01-28-2010 at 09:18 PM.