The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > The Sound of Her Voice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
Perhaps that was based on the assumption (to some degree shared by the audience) that the date was the same for both parties, and there was no need for either person to say "what day is it?" because they already knew.

It's like if you were talking to someone on a different planet and did not know it, you would not ask "what colour is the sky?" because you assume that it is the same for that person as it is for you.

What are the chances of them / you having been wrong in that assumption?
Indeed, and that kind of 'out of nowhere' twist can sometimes work better than others. But since it wasn't meant to be a a 'gimmick' episode or tech ep, but a look at the characters - it always, to me, just feels a little out of place when it's discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I just figured it would've come up when Sisko was telling her what had been going on in recent years. He talked about all kinds of major events, but apparently never once gave a stardate or some other concrete indication of how much time had passed. If he'd said, just once, "my ship was launched in 237X" or "the most recent attack was on stardate XXXXX" the jig would've probably been up.

:edit: Or if he'd simply asked "how long have you been down there?" or "when were you stranded?" in which case they'd both have put two and two together pretty quickly...
It's that kind of 6th Sense style writing where you have to have a conversation that can be understood in the context of before and after the twist is up.

It's clever on it's own because you then really have to think about what the characters are going to say.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Commander

Possibly stardates might have come up. But it's not necessarily inevitable. She did say for example that the Olympia had set out "eight years ago". Equally, time references by Sisko when he's simply relating war stuff would more likely be that the war started "one year ago" or they discovered the Dominion "almost four years ago."
Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Federation Councillor

I guess, one could rationalise that stardates could have been avoided - if we assume that Cusack and Sisko were (quite rightly) believing they were on the 'same day' they would each think the other was on the 'same' stardate respective to them.

Like if I have a phone conversation with you it wouldn't occur to me to mention the date during it because I would be under the belief it was January 27th 2010 for us both.

courtesy of Saquist