The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Cut-Away USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Model
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Take a model of the JJprise and test your knives on it
Shouldn't be hard for you

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I'm currently doing a re-re-release of the old AMT/ETRL Enterprise.

My gosh, the engineering section on that kit is a...grouchy Orion slave girl in a foul mood.

I've just sanded off the windows, because they now come with the decals. No I have to construct some kind of internal structure, then stick it together and I think for good measure. I'm going to jam it full of plasticine to make is as solid as possible.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Yeah. Mine was a re-release from 1996 for the 30th anniversary. I put it together straight out of the box. I'm thinking about getting another one and trying to put lights in it and more detail. The interior of this model is woefully inacurate. But there was one thing that I found interesting. The bridge is angled so that the turbolift door is in line with the little bubble at the back of the bridge dome. That puts the viewscreen at about a 45 degree angle from the centerline of the ship.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Craft knife wound....arrrrrgh! Whoa, superglue high!!! Peace man...woohooo...stings....

My engineering section is just about complete, the deflector end-cap popped off, but that is nothing major. I made some internal structure with some pieces of dowl, then I filled as much as I could with plastercine, glued it together with superglue, let it dry and filled with more plastercine. So now it's rock solid, much better than having it hollow.

I'm just pioneering a technique I thought of, for the nacelles. Again I want then to be some what solid, but not heavy like they would be with plastercine inside. So I'm trying, filling them up will crumpled up tin/aluminium foil, you know, like for cooking. My hope is that it'll be lighter, but still solid.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Vice Admiral

That's not a bad idea. Can you post a few pictures of your engineering section? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Craft knife wound....arrrrrgh! Whoa, superglue high!!! Peace man...woohooo...stings....

My engineering section is just about complete, the deflector end-cap popped off, but that is nothing major. I made some internal structure with some pieces of dowl, then I filled as much as I could with plastercine, glued it together with superglue, let it dry and filled with more plastercine. So now it's rock solid, much better than having it hollow.

I'm just pioneering a technique I thought of, for the nacelles. Again I want then to be some what solid, but not heavy like they would be with plastercine inside. So I'm trying, filling them up will crumpled up tin/aluminium foil, you know, like for cooking. My hope is that it'll be lighter, but still solid.

Try some of that foam sealant in a can. Be careful not to use too much or "POP".
Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Now that isn't a bad idea at all...I might try that on the next one.

Hey Zim, including a couple of shots.

When you put the two top halves together, the "pockets" for the pylons join on the inside. I put a piece of dowel through them, and another in the neck so they joined in a T section...like the warp core would be if this was the Refit/A.

Then I packed in loads of plastercine, superglued the two halves together, and once dry packed in more plastercine though the deflector hole.

When I do this again I'd probably build a better internal structure with Popsicle sticks, I'd be able to use them to hold the seams in place better and then jam-pack it with plastercine.

There not great shots...but hopefully you get the idea from that.

Included my "tape up" test too!

It's hard enough building a model of it in full Earth gravity...can't imagine how they managed the real thing. hehe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puttied Engineering 2.JPG (95.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Puttied Engineering 3.JPG (94.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Tape Up Test 1.JPG (107.7 KB, 12 views)

That
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Vice Admiral

I think my next model will be the smaller version. I found a re-issue at a local hobby store that can be built as either the Cage version, WNMHGB version, or regular series version. I may build it as a hybrid of the three. I like the bridge dome from the series version and the nacelle endcaps from the Cage version. Also, I'm debating on whether to use the spires on the tips of the bussards. I'm planning to add lights and possibly sound effects. So it would look interesting to have lighted bussards with the spires since the Cage version's weren't lit. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Is that the little Polar Lights 1/1000 scale?

They are rockin' little ships!!!

That
Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Is that the little Polar Lights 1/1000 scale?

They are rockin' little ships!!!
Yeah. That's the one. I used to have one a looooong time ago. But I can't find it now. It's the one that has that little stand that looks like a saw horse.