The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Big Is The iBridge Deck On The Abramsprise??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
We don't know that Uhura was in the secondary hull. If you'll watch that scene, Kirk and McCoy leave sick bay and go directly out the door to a computer terminal. Kirk locates Uhura and they both run from the terminal straight down the corridor to the room with the big tanks where uhura is. I will have to watch it again to be sure, but I don't think there was a cut in that scene. Therefore, the room Uhura was in was on the same deck as sick bay.
It was my impression based on the size of the room that she was in, and the general look was much more consistant with engineering, which is in the secondary hull.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
It was my impression based on the size of the room that she was in, and the general look was much more consistant with engineering, which is in the secondary hull.
This is true. I would have assumed the same thing. If not for the way that scene played out.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'll have to rewatch that scene.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Interesting chat - and before wading in too far I can see that the general impression of the overall approach has some momentum on perception.

First, it does appear that on this ship (but also possibly on the TMP ship as well since there is a full airlock and docking port on the main dome) the dome is a larger structure and the Brigde is not the pinnacle of that structure.

The very top would now seem to be a sensor cluster or something.

What appears likely is that the main deck that has the Bridge also houses a transporter room (probably not a bad idea to have one close by) and some other rooms as well that may have a variety of functions - Ready Room, storage, Equipment, etc.

The Spock shot was (per the commentary) again deliberately filmed to be very very fast as part of the overall idea that the writers wanted to in part play with the audience's perception of the timeline and timescale of the film. However, I don't believe even without this explanation that the area Spock originally left from was in the dome. It's clearly not possible.

I also suspect that Sickbay and the room Uhura was in are also not in the dome and are indeed elsewhere in the ship.

As Horatio observes when they are running through the ship stopping and showing the entrance/exit of turbolifts simply stalls the pace and energy of the scene. And just because they are not depicted in them does not mean they were not. The film has (for pacing reasons I believe) the noted 'jump cuts' all over the place to make it look like things are happening faster than they may actually be.

Bear in mind that this is deliberate on the part of the writers.

Personally I find this a wise choice because including the scenes is really not essential and does slacken the pace during what are intended to be energetic sequences.

So from my perspective anyway - these locations are all mostly separate, I don't need a turbolift scene to rationalise that but certainly that may not work for everyone!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

I think Sickbay is in the neck of the ship, because their chief medical officer is killed when during the attack on Enterprise, and that's where Enterprise is struck.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm going to watch all those scenes again when I get home from work. I stand by my original asertion that according to what was seen on screen, these rooms are all depicted as being on the same deck. What I need to examine closely are the so-called "jump cuts" to determine if there is a way there could be a trubolift trip in there anywhere. In the case of the Chekov transporter room scene, there couldn't be one. By the time he got on the lift, went to the transporter room deck, got off the lift, and ran to the transporter room, Kirk and Sulu would already have splatterd all over the crumbling Vulcan landscape. And it is still puzzling to me that it took Spock so much longer than Chekov to get to the transporter room when he used the turbolift on the iBridge while Chekov went out the door on foot.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I think Sickbay is in the neck of the ship, because their chief medical officer is killed when during the attack on Enterprise, and that's where Enterprise is struck.
That would seem a logical assumption. Except for the fact that Bones tells Spock that Dr. Purri was on deck 6. Is deck 6 in the neck? If so, then the size and scale of the Abramsprise would be much closer to that of the original NCC-1701 from TOS. But if you use the size that has been given by TPTB, then the saucer itself could have 10-15 decks. And as far as I could tell, none of Nero's missiles hit the saucer.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Federation Councillor

With all due respect I'd venture you won't find anything to counter your assumption based on the onscreen depciction because you're approaching it from a completely literal perspective when the writers have alluded on many times that things may not be as they appear to be.

It's not an approach a Trek film has had before, which is why some of it seems confusing.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Lieutenant

That sounds to me like a possible script-element which may have been set, even recorded, before the "official" size of the Sexyprise was declared.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
That would seem a logical assumption. Except for the fact that Bones tells Spock that Dr. Purri was on deck 6. Is deck 6 in the neck? If so, then the size and scale of the Abramsprise would be much closer to that of the original NCC-1701 from TOS. But if you use the size that has been given by TPTB, then the saucer itself could have 10-15 decks. And as far as I could tell, none of Nero's missiles hit the saucer.
The saucer doesn't have to have as many decks as that depending on how much industrial material and 'other space' between decks there may be.

Plus, the saucer also showed damage to the underside of the saucer on the side of the impact - therefore Deck 6, Sickbay and Dr Puri could have all been in that area and nowhere near the neck itself.

Although based on the scale of damage the sickbay being in the neck would seem a logical assumption.

Deck 6 though - could still be the lowest deck of the saucer.

courtesy of Saquist