The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Big Is The iBridge Deck On The Abramsprise??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
No film can show every single movement of the characters. And it wouldn't make sense to try.
I agree. However, the way those scenes were edited would seem to suggest that they were running at a constant pace and never entered a turbolift. The use of a turbolift, at least once, would have been sufficient to convey the size of the ship as well as to show that the rooms in question were in fact on different decks.

Quote:
Sir, I must humbly disagree. Your reasoning was not logical and I don't see that your conclusion must be assumed.
I respect your opinion and your choice to disagree. But I stand by my reasoning and explanation. To me, it looked like those rooms were all on the same deck as far as what was seen on screen.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, at least they have enough space for some toilets on deck 1 now.

Seriously, one the one hand I miss the compact old school designs, be it bridge or engineering, on the other hand it makes sense to have more than a just a bunch of people on the bridge plus some extra rooms on deck 1.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Zim, your brain will explode on this one.

Trust me, ya can't make sense of NuTrek...it's the definition of nonsense.

You're right. I need to stop trying to put so much thought into this mindless drivel of a movie and just enjoy it for what it was meant to be: Brainless fun.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Rear Admiral

It was fun.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well, at least they have enough space for some toilets on deck 1 now.

Seriously, one the one hand I miss the compact old school designs, be it bridge or engineering, on the other hand it makes sense to have more than a just a bunch of people on the bridge plus some extra rooms on deck 1.
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with there being more than one room on deck 1. I just have a problem with the way the movie depicted the iBridge deck as being frakkin enormous. Having the bridge, observation lounge, ready room, and maybe a couple of bathrooms on deck 1 is not a bad idea. But sick bay, transporter rooms, brewery, etc. all on the same deck with the bridge? To me that's just overkill. But when you think about it, having all those rooms on the same deck sort of makes sense in context with the rest of the movie. Think about it. The shuttle bay and Titanic boiler room/water treatment plant/brewery were absolutely huge. It looked like those two sections took up most if not all of the secondary hull. If the ship is indeed as large as speculated, then the rest of the saucer section below the iBridge deck would have to house nothing but crew quarters. So, basically, they have not only reimagined the whole philosophy and history of Star Trek, but also the starship design style and phylosophy as well.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
It was fun.
I've never disputed that.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with there being more than one room on deck 1. I just have a problem with the way the movie depicted the iBridge deck as being frakkin enormous. Having the bridge, observation lounge, ready room, and maybe a couple of bathrooms on deck 1 is not a bad idea. But sick bay, transporter rooms, brewery, etc. all on the same deck with the bridge? To me that's just overkill. But when you think about it, having all those rooms on the same deck sort of makes sense in context with the rest of the movie. Think about it. The shuttle bay and boiler room were absolutely huge. It looked like those two sections took up most if not all of the secondary hull. If the ship is indeed as large as speculated, then the rest of the saucer section below the iBridge deck would have to house crew quarters. So, basically, they have not only reimagined the whole philosophy and history of Star Trek, but also the starship design style and phylosophy as well.
I think that those running scenes might not have worked if they had shown e.g. how Chekov enters the turbolift, that might have destroyed the pace. So perhaps the basic question is whether the pace was appropriate or not?
For my taste MTV speed was much too fast.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think that those running scenes might not have worked if they had shown e.g. how Chekov enters the turbolift, that might have destroyed the pace. So perhaps the basic question is whether the pace was appropriate or not?
For my taste MTV speed was much too fast.
I agree. But the thing about the Chekov scene was that he never entered a turbolifft. He ran out of the iBridge and into a corridor and down the hall to the transproter room. At the rate Kirk and Sulu were falling, he only had seconds to get to the transporter control. The pacing for that particular scene was probably real time.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

It seems to me like everything that looks like a room is in the saucer section and the neck, and the secondary hull where engineering is located (this is where Uhura was) is a wide open space.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
It seems to me like everything that looks like a room is in the saucer section and the neck, and the secondary hull where engineering is located (this is where Uhura was) is a wide open space.
We don't know that Uhura was in the secondary hull. If you'll watch that scene, Kirk and McCoy leave sick bay and go directly out the door to a computer terminal. Kirk locates Uhura and they both run from the terminal straight down the corridor to the room with the big tanks where uhura is. I will have to watch it again to be sure, but I don't think there was a cut in that scene. Therefore, the room Uhura was in was on the same deck as sick bay.