The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How Big Is The iBridge Deck On The Abramsprise??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default How Big Is The iBridge Deck On The Abramsprise??

Okay. Something just occurred to me recently. In TOS and every other incarnation of Star Trek ever seen on the TV or the big screen, Deck 1 is always the bridge deck. The bridge is usually the only room on Deck 1 on most if not all starships in the Starfleet. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen a doorway on any bridge of any starship in any incarnation of Trek, either TV or movie, that leads out to a corridor. In most if not all cases, the only way off the bridge is via turbolift.

Yet in STXI, there appears to be not only a turbolift door, but also a regular door leading off the iBridge to a corridor. On the Abramsprise, the iBridge deck is enormous. Here's why: In the scene where Kirk is lying on the bed in sick bay and wakes when he hears Chekov's broadcast, he and McCoy go out the door into a corridor. Kirk then uses a computer to locate Uhura. They both run down another corridor and find Uhura in the brewery monitoring the firmentation process with some other cadets. After Kirk talks to Uhura, they all three run out of the brewery into another corridor, around a corner and onto the iBridge. They never took a turbolift. They got to the iBridge from sick bay using only corridors. That would seem to imply that both sick bay and part of the brewery are on the same deck as the iBridge. Later, as Vulcan is being destroyed, Spock leaves the iBridge via turbolift on his way to the transporter room. Some time later, Chekov leaves the iBridge on his way to the same transporter room via corridor from the iBridge. Chekov leaves the iBridge, runs down a corridor, and into the transporter room. During this, Spock is still in the turbolift on his way to the same transporter room. Chekov has time to save Kirk and Sulu from their chute-less freefall of death while Spock is still apparently travelling all over the ship in the turbolift. It tool Chekov all of 4 seconds to run from the iBridge to the transporter room. While it took Spock several minutes to get there via turbolift. Something doesn't add up. Either way, not only are sick bay and part of the brewery on the same deck as the iBridge, but apparently the transporter room is as well. That's a pretty big deck. Anybody else notice this? Just wondering.

1-2 Med Bay.jpg 3-4 Brewery Corridor.jpg 5-6 Corridor iBridge.jpg 7-8 iBridge Turbolift corridor.jpg

All of these rooms apparently are on the same deck.

Aha! Another thing just occured to me! From the first sick bay scene, we know that the sick bay and iBridge are both on the same deck. Yet in the battle scene at Vulcan when the Narada fires missiles at the Abramsprise, one hits the neck of the ship. When the missile impacts, we clearly see sick bay sustaining heavy damage. It looks like the same room where Kirk was sedated. Yet we know that room is on the iBridge deck. Hmmm. Is there a duplicate sick bay in the neck of the ship?

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 01-25-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Okay. Something just occurred to me recently. In TOS and every other incarnation of Star Trek ever seen on the TV or the big screen, Deck 1 is always the bridge deck. The bridge is usually the only room on Deck 1 on most if not all starships in the Starfleet. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen a doorway on any bridge of any starship in any incarnation of Trek, either TV or movie, that leads out to a corridor.
The observation lounges on the Enterprise-D and the Enterprise-E were also located on Deck 1. Both were accessible through corridors that lead off and behind the main bridge. We only saw the ends of these corridors, however, and never the entire thing.

In the case of the nuEnterprise--new universe, new design philosophy, IMO. I have no problem with this bridge being part of a larger Deck 1 underneath the actual bridge dome.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

I stand corrected. However, the "dome" on top of the Abramsprise is not the bridge dome. According to the viewindow pull-out scene, the iBridge is much lower in the saucer than the dome. Methinks the dome is simply a sensor array of some kind.

Also, the firmentation room where Uhura was seems to be an extremely large room with a very high ceiling. It would appear to be much higher than the ceiling of the iBridge, yet when looking at the impges of the ibridge area on the saucer of the Abramsprise, the iBridge deck tapers down toward the rear from the iBridge which is at the front. In other words, the brewery room won't fit within the physical confines of that deck.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:52 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

I can't imagine that brewery room is supposed to be the same deck as the bridge dispite how the flow of the film might indicate that to the hyper-stickler. In film editing parlance it's called a jump cut.

The bridge and the deck it's on does seem to be pretty big though. I want blueprints!
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I stand corrected. However, the "dome" on top of the Abramsprise is not the bridge dome. According to the viewindow pull-out scene, the iBridge is much lower in the saucer than the dome. Methinks the dome is simply a sensor array of some kind.
I called it the bridge dome because it was a dome sitting on top of the bridge. Now, what that dome actually does is a matter of debate, but the idea of it being a sensor array is in keeping with Matt Jefferies' original design for the classic Enterprise (with a similar dome being directly beneath the saucer section). Both domes would be considered more exterior features than interior ones, IIRC...

Quote:
Also, the firmentation room where Uhura was seems to be an extremely large room with a very high ceiling. It would appear to be much higher than the ceiling of the iBridge, yet when looking at the impges of the ibridge area on the saucer of the Abramsprise, the iBridge deck tapers down toward the rear from the iBridge which is at the front. In other words, the brewery room won't fit within the physical confines of that deck.
Do we know if that control room Uhura was in was on Deck 1? I actually don't myself--I think it was on a lower deck and what we saw was Kirk, McCoy and Uhura running from a turbolift somewhere farther back on Deck 1 and then onto the bridge.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:01 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

I would be inclined to agree. It just doesn't seem possible or logical to have that enormous room on the same deck as the iBridge. However, in that scene, we see them run out of the brewery into the corridor. Then the camera cuts to the corridor and we see them running out of the doorway and around a corner and down the corridor and around another corner. Then we see them run into the iBridge. From what I saw on screen, it appears that the two rooms are on the same deck. Now, if they had shown the three of them going into a turbolift, I would not be having this conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I would be inclined to agree. It just doesn't seem possible or logical to have that enormous room on the same deck as the iBridge. However, in that scene, we see them run out of the brewery into the corridor. Then the camera cuts to the corridor and we see them running out of the doorway and around a corner and down the corridor and around another corner. Then we see them run into the iBridge. From what I saw on screen, it appears that the two rooms are on the same deck. Now, if they had shown the three of them going into a turbolift, I would not be having this conversation.
No film can show every single movement of the characters. And it wouldn't make sense to try.
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 AM
I-Am-Zim I-Am-Zim is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina, USA, Earth
Posts: 3,432
Default

Problem is, in TOS and all other Trek incarnations, even the movies, they always showed the characters entering and exiting the turbolifts when they were going to a different deck. They didn't do that in this movie. Therefore, logically, it must be assumed, given the events as seen in the movie, that all these rooms are intended to be on the same deck. However implausible it may be. The only time I saw a turbolift used was when Spock went from the shuttlebay to the iBridge and when he went from the iBridge to the transporter room...which was on the same deck as the iBridge. Which brings up another question. He was in a hurry to get to the transporter, so why didn't he do what Chekov did and just run down the corridor to the transporter room. It would have been 10X quicker.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 AM
That Metal Beastie's Avatar
That Metal Beastie That Metal Beastie is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Overhere
Posts: 2,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
...Therefore, logically, it must be assumed, given the events as seen in the movie, that all these rooms are intended to be on the same deck.
Sir, I must humbly disagree. Your reasoning was not logical and I don't see that your conclusion must be assumed.
__________________
'A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.'

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 AM
celticarchie's Avatar
celticarchie celticarchie is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 597
Default

Zim, your brain will explode on this one.

Trust me, ya can't make sense of NuTrek...it's the definition of nonsense.
__________________

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.