The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > ST V - Not as bad as you think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Commander

STV is frustrating in a lot of ways as there were good elements in there. The effects did let it down but I agree with what's been said here in that it was more of a plot issue than an effects issue, saying that though a couple of nice ILM made effect shots could have made for a few nice scenes.

I agree with Steve in that Lawrence Luckinbill was under-rated, saying that though, it would have been interesting to see what Sean Connery would have made of the role.

People often say that it's the most TOS like film, I go along with this but fail to understand why they chose to base it on arguably the worst TOS episode 'The Way to Eden' and not on episodes like 'Devil in the Dark' or 'The Ultimate Computer', granted they in themselves wouldn't make the transition to the big screen but have much better stories and messages at their core than the apparent source material for the film.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
STV is frustrating in a lot of ways as there were good elements in there. The effects did let it down but I agree with what's been said here in that it was more of a plot issue than an effects issue, saying that though a couple of nice ILM made effect shots could have made for a few nice scenes.

I agree with Steve in that Lawrence Luckinbill was under-rated, saying that though, it would have been interesting to see what Sean Connery would have made of the role.

People often say that it's the most TOS like film, I go along with this but fail to understand why they chose to base it on arguably the worst TOS episode 'The Way to Eden' and not on episodes like 'Devil in the Dark' or 'The Ultimate Computer', granted they in themselves wouldn't make the transition to the big screen but have much better stories and messages at their core than the apparent source material for the film.
That is a unique question. I think it ended up with a Way to Eden feeling, but was originally going to be more like Roddenberry's "God Thing" script from the 70s. It's primarily due to compromise and various production problems that Shatner wasn't able to really achieve his goals for the film. His initial pitch was deemed too controversial and the studio wanted a light-hearted film (like TVH). Just too many problems...and yet I still love it!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

There are elements of "Trek V" that I also love.

I would like to add that the interview with Shatner that he did for the Star Trek V DVD release (The most recent one) is so well done and nicely edited. The raw footage shot during the production along with the interviews and Shatner's comments really give a good feeling of what happened on the production.

Shatner really opens up on that DVD and really speaks from the heart about what his thought process was and feelings about the film today. Great DVD.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Federation Councillor

I must go back and check that out some time - I have the SCE Ten film boxset. I presume it's on that as well, but I don't think those are the most recent versions released and I haven't bought any of the other re-issues.

courtesy of Saquist